Thread: New Genesis Lamb Book by Jon Kirkman

New Genesis Lamb Book by Jon Kirkman

I've just got hold of my copy of the long awaited Lamb book by Classic Rock writer Jon Kirkman.

I've only read a little so far as I am planning to read it in small instalments to make it last. However, a quick flick through reveals a wealth of
    new material, press cuttings, interviews etc. A phenomenal book. The only disappointment so far is the god-awfull
    cover design. When one considers how striking the original Lamb cover (and font) where, the front and back cover of
    this book are a let-down. The book is not cheap, but more than a fair price when one considers the effort that has gone into making it.
    Truly a MUST for any Lamb fan.

https://jonkirkman.co.uk/?page_id=10
    Making Wikipedia marginally more interesting at:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCul...PXchSo_vDxtcLg

I hope the typo on the back-cover "In recent years, readers of Rolling Stone have voted it fifth in their favourite prog albums of all time (2102); it also made Uncut Magazine’s recent top ten concept album chart." isn't a bad sign for the text inside.

The prices (£74.99 – £226.99) may include a membership:

"Softback Edition,
    Softback Edition with a Year's Membership to classicrockvaults.com,
    Hardback Signed Edition,
    Hardback Signed Edition with a Year's Membership to classicrockvaults.com,
    1 Softback + 1 Hardback Signed Edition, 1 Softback + 1 Hardback Signed Edition with a Year's Membership to classicrockvaults.com"

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rael74 View Post
    I've just got hold of my copy of the long awaited Lamb book by Classic Rock writer Jon Kirkman.

I've only read a little so far as I am planning to read it in small instalments to make it last. However, a quick flick through reveals a wealth of
    new material, press cuttings, interviews etc. A phenomenal book. The only disappointment so far is the god-awfull
    cover design. When one considers how striking the original Lamb cover (and font) where, the front and back cover of
    this book are a let-down. The book is not cheap, but more than a fair price when one considers the effort that has gone into making it.

Does it look like the book includes information based on new, exclusive interviews with the band members, as opposed to quoting pre-existing interviews? I'm a little leery about this given how little concrete info about the book there is on that site. The only thing that makes me interested is that Kirkman really does do skillful, insightful Q&A sessions with the major bands on the Cruise to the Edge cruises, so I know he's a smart guy with a knack for drawing out info. I just would like to know more about this book before shelling out that kind of money for it.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    My favourite Genesis album. I have collected lots on this album. However, the price is ridiculous.

Regardless of the writing quality, the time taken to compile the research and the presentation of the book, I cannot reconcile with the asking price.
    I would consider a digital version at a more reasonable price, but that is not currently an option, and I'm guessing it won't be until the print run is sold out.

I like the books where the artist/band talks through it track-by-track, and how each track came about, and evolved.
    Does the book include an analysis like this?

The only disappointment so far is the god-awful cover design.
    Yeah, the, uh, Slipperman costume is not exactly the most beloved aspect of the show. Why not the swirly Lamia thing? I know there's photos of that.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Grabbing this (album) for the commute today.....Canterbury break.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

I was tempted to buy this, but the price seems to be very OTT (£75 PLUS £17 shipping!!).

So, I've just bought "Genesis and The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway" by Kevin Holm-Hudson, which seems to get very good reviews on Amazon (& the book itself is less than Kirkman's shipping cost). But it would be good to know how both books compare & whether Kirkman's book is just stunning.

I'm still keen to invest in the Kirkman book at some point if the price drops - unless it goes out of print / and the price then increases!
    Last edited by zzorchering; 01-22-2019 at 09:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    Yeah, the, uh, Slipperman costume is not exactly the most beloved aspect of the show. Why not the swirly Lamia thing? I know there's photos of that.
    Yeah, but which photo is likely to stop people in their tracks and make them go "WTF is THAT?!"
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

$135 US Dollars for the softbound edition (with shipping). For that I would expect a hardbound limited-edition with all the living band members autographs!

Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by zzorchering View Post

So, I've just bought "Genesis and The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway" by Kevin Holm-Hudson, which seems to get very good reviews on Amazon (& the book itself is less than Kirkman's shipping cost).
    Bought and read this a few years ago. Nice stuff and not too expensive ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by yesman1955 View Post
    $135 US Dollars for the softbound edition (with shipping). For that I would expect a hardbound limited-edition with all the living band members autographs!
    Actually, for that kind of price, I'd expect one of the band members to hand deliver it to me.

If it cost $40 bucks I'd buy it in a flash.

Ok, to answer some points raised here:

1. No, it does not seem (at first glance) to have a track by track analysis (which I would have liked)
    2. All of the interviews are new. I would say half of the book is comprised of these new interviews.
    3. With regards to the price, and I am speaking as a self-confessed "tight-arsed skinflint" even at £100 or whatever, it still represents a good deal.
    You are getting a really unique and original item. The level of work that has gone into it is astonishing.
    If the Lamb is your favourite album, and it is mine, then it's a MUST.

The only downsides I have are:

1: The shit F&B cover.
    2: The lack of making of / behind the scenes / Headley Grange photos
    (Considering there are new interviews with so many people associated with the band, it's hard to imagine the interviewees could not have found / donated some never-seen-before pics) - However there are some revealing pics of original tape reels and stage production notes etc.

P.S, The Kevin Holm-Hudson is a head-f*cker. It reads like a stuffy thesis on Freudian symbolism. Perhaps I'll go back and revisit the book after this, but I gave up on it after about 30 mins of reading. Like listening to the Waiting Room on loop.
    Last edited by rael74; 01-24-2019 at 01:20 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by flowerking View Post
    Actually, for that kind of price, I'd expect one of the band members to hand deliver it to me.
    Seems a bit pricey even with the hand job...

Quote Originally Posted by flowerking View Post
    Senator, I served with Jed Levin. I knew Jed Levin. Jed Levin was a friend of mine...Senator, you're no Jed Levin.

3. With regards to the price, and I am speaking as a self-confessed "tight-arsed skinflint" even at £100 or whatever, it still represents a good deal.

P.S, The Kevin Holm-Hudson is a head-f*cker. It reads like a stuffy thesis on Freudian symbolism. Perhaps I'll go back and revisit the book after this, but I gave up on it after about 30 mins of reading. Like listening to the Waiting Room on loop.

Regarding 100 pounds as a good deal. I just don't think so on any level.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 01-25-2019 at 01:13 PM.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

1. No, it does not seem (at first glance) to have a track by track analysis (which I would have liked)
    2. All of the interviews are new. I would say half of the book is comprised of these new interviews.
    You are getting a really unique and original item. The level of work that has gone into it is astonishing.
    If the Lamb is your favourite album, and it is mine, then it's a MUST.

The only downsides I have are:

1: The shit F&B cover.
    2: The lack of making of / behind the scenes / Headley Grange photos
    (Considering there are new interviews with so many people associated with the band, it's hard to imagine the interviewees could not have found / donated some never-seen-before pics) - However there are some revealing pics of original tape reels and stage production notes etc.

What DO you get from the book? Are there details/anecdotes/etc. we haven't heard before? If you can tell at this point, that is.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    What DO you get from the book? Are there details/anecdotes/etc. we haven't heard before? If you can tell at this point, that is.
    It'll take a month or more to read.

I liked Holm-Hudson's book very much. Despite its shortcomings, it was a good take on what the album has come to represent and it had some solid musical analysis to back up its idea, something you see far too seldom in rock music literature.

Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    I liked Holm-Hudson's book very much. Despite its shortcomings....
    +1
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes