Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: PROGSTOCK 2019 Rahway, NJ's Union County PAC October 11-13 2019

And when you add the fickle nature of prog fans to the mix, who turn their noses up at Umphrey's McGee, bands that CAN draw an audience, don't draw THIS audience.

I personally don't turn my nose up at this band, I just think they're...I dunno.... cheesy. Good players, shallow compositions.

People talk about Umphrey's McGee, but I think the worst booking for NF 2011 was actually New Trolls. At least with Umphrey's you can say it was an attempt to stretch the boundaries and grow the tent, but New Trolls just showed a complete misunderstanding of the market.

I'm going to go in a different direction:
    While I was looking forward to seeing IO Earth (and hope to see them next year), how about if they are replaced by....

Nobody.

Less is More. I know I spoke with many people last year who felt like they could have done with a band or two less, more time to eat and hang with friends, and provide enough time between sets for them to actually start on time.
    If anything, move some of the later shows a bit earlier, and start the after-hours shows earlier too.

Just my two cents...

Quote Originally Posted by smcfee View Post
    People talk about Umphrey's McGee, but I think the worst booking for NF 2011 was actually New Trolls. At least with Umphrey's you can say it was an attempt to stretch the boundaries and grow the tent, but New Trolls just showed a complete misunderstanding of the market.
    Right on target. A 2-slot band band badly miscast as a headliner. Scraping the bottom of the bucket list...

Since Umphrey's McGee has been brought up, how about Big Something? Saw them a week ago opening for the McGee in Asbury Park NJ Loved them! Not prog, but excellent. Looked at their tour dates and they play in Iowa 10/11, what day was IO Earth scheduled for?

Quote Originally Posted by Wah3 View Post
    Dang, a British band can’t get a quick Visa? We haven’t fought the Brits for like two hundred years. I wonder if Progstock can get a last minute substitute for 10/12. Marbin is out west unfortunately.
    - Maybe one of the Progtoberfest bands. Could call Dave Kerzner again.
    - Thank You Scientist are based pretty close to Rahway. So are The Tea Club, Advent, 3rdegree and the ever reliable IZZ gang.
    - Mattias Olsson and OVRFRWRD are at the NJ Proghouse 10/9
    - Andrew Colyer is at Progstock with Robert Berry, maybe the rest of Circuline are available. Ryche Chlanda or Randy McStine could potentially also gather their own band.
    - Local Genesis tribute Rael are good according to a friend who just saw them
    - Or just extend some of the other sets. Jane Getter or her husband Alan Holzman, The Rocket Scientists
    Good suggestions but, how about bringing in none other than RICK WAKEMAN. Wakeman will be at the Collinswood NJ Scottish Rite Auditoium on October 11 - and has an open date on October 12 - and plays 10/13 in Ridgefield CT. The logistics would be perfect geographically speaking, it's just Rick and his grand piano but management is another thing.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I seriously doubt they can afford him.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I seriously doubt they can afford him.
    I can tell you that he's not cheap. We have convos with his management back in the day.
    Chad

All decent suggestions including “nobody”. 3RDegree seem to be on indefinite hiatus but thanks for asking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 3RDegree_Robert View Post
    3RDegree seem to be on indefinite hiatus but thanks for asking.
    It looks like there's plenty of "between the lines" in that one sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by 3RDegree_Robert View Post
    All decent suggestions including “nobody”. 3RDegree seem to be on indefinite hiatus but thanks for asking.

"Nobody" is probably also the cheapest, allowing the event to pocket more money for next year's bands.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Or have a smaller debt
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Or have a smaller debt
    i didn't want to go there...lol

Or have a smaller debt
    Isn't there already a sugar daddy (maybe the US taxpayer) keeping this one afloat?

my vote is to move Phideaux to Saturday. 2:30 on Friday is expendable. And Phideaux is amazing. top of my list this year for the fest.
    do I hear an amen? lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
    my vote is to move Phideaux to Saturday. 2:30 on Friday is expendable. And Phideaux is amazing. top of my list this year for the fest.
    do I hear an amen? lol.
    that works for me, except for the fact that they have a 90 slot on friday, but the vacated slot of saturday is only 75 minutes. as phideaux is one of the biggest draws for me, too, i would hate to see them lose 15 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    And when you add the fickle nature of prog fans to the mix, who turn their noses up at Umphrey's McGee, bands that CAN draw an audience, don't draw THIS audience.

I personally don't turn my nose up at this band, I just think they're...I dunno.... cheesy. Good players, shallow compositions.
    I think like most jam bands their biggest problem is terrible vocals. I think they would have torn it up at Nearfest and would have been great. They are the only jam band I've ever heard that has a proggy side, which they no doubt would have emphasized at Nearfest. Still, I admit that I have never really fallen in love with any of their material, even if the playing is great and some of it is interesting and enjoyable.

Dave Bainbridge and Paul Bielatowicz are wrapping up a short US tour on October 8th in Massachussetts. Might not be too much of a stretch.

I had a very nice conversation with Steve Babb at the terra incognita Festival Quebec City 2017 and he said Glass Hammer is always looking for adequate prog opportunities specially in America. Worth a call. Time is running short.

Quote Originally Posted by WJK59 View Post
    Dave Bainbridge and Paul Bielatowicz are wrapping up a short US tour on October 8th in Massachussetts. Might not be too much of a stretch.
    Bingo. They got slotted in for Saturday 11:30PM. What’s the show like, all guitar or does Dave have a keyboard rig?

on a different note - this year we were too slow to get a room at the Watt, which is such a perfect location - especially since it was close enough to walk to the concerts. this year we will be staying at further out. just hoping someone can provide some info on how parking is for the area.

thanks!

ken

There is a FREE parking lot that holds hundreds of cars one block from the venue. No issue parking.

...and I believe they will suspend all parking rules the whole weekend for parking on streets around venue.

Here's some great new videos-the first to give you a real taste of the "scene" at ProgStock:

Those were great! Enjoyed seeing so many familiar faces in the crowd. Really wish I could have seen IQ and IZZ last year. I put all my financial and vacation eggs into the CTTE basket each year, but I wish I had the opportunity to travel to NJ.