Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: PROGSTOCK 2019 Rahway, NJ's Union County PAC October 11-13 2019

PROGSTOCK 2019 Rahway, NJ's Union County PAC October 11-13 2019

Since many announcements were made this past week for ProgStock's upcoming third year, I figured its time for a new thread.

It will be at the same time (Columbus Day weekend) and place (Rahway, NJ's Union County Performing Arts Center) as the first two incarnations.

All official info here but 2019's roster so far:

Brand X
    3.2 featuring Robert Berry, Andrew Colyer, Paul Keller & Jimmy Keegan
    IO Earth
    Discipline
    Joe Denizon & Statospheerius
    The Cyberiam
    Last edited by 3RDegree_Robert; 01-23-2019 at 04:40 AM.

Can't wait!!!!!!

Yay. We'll be patrons as usual.
    How about going after England, since they're doing some shows this year?
    Just introduced Garden Shed to my wife. Instant fan!
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Giant View Post
    Yay. We'll be patrons as usual.
    How about going after England, since they're doing some shows this year?
    Just introduced Garden Shed to my wife. Instant fan!
    That would get me there, regardless of the rest of the bill.

Quote Originally Posted by 3RDegree_Robert View Post
    PHIDEAUX announced for ProgStock 2019
    Excellent addition. Looking forward to 7 of the 8 bands currently announced (that's a pretty good percentage).

I hope:
    (a) not too much more is announced. imo, the amount of bands last year was overkill. it lead to burn out, as well as exacerbating the issue with bands starting late. it should also be kept in mind, that for many, part of the attraction is hanging out and catching up with folk they don't see too often.
    (b) a bit more variety. would love to see the "prog envelope" pushed a bit more. last year's accordo dei contrari was a good example (imo) of a nice change of pace from what we had been seeing/hearing the rest of the weekend

I just wish it wasn't in November, as there is zero chance I'll ever be able to attend. Even so, glad to see it is going into it's 3rd year!

Quote Originally Posted by infandous View Post
    I just wish it wasn't in November, as there is zero chance I'll ever be able to attend. Even so, glad to see it is going into it's 3rd year!
    lucky for you then...it's not in November.
    it is columbus day weekend - Oct 11-13

Really wish it was a different weekend. It is also a canadian long weekend and one of only 4 times a year we get to travel across the province to see the grandsons. If the festival is still around in 7 more years when my wife retires, then we can talk.

Not listed above but already announced is Rocket Scientists!! There will only be 4 bands on Saturday and Sunday this year and 3 on Friday. There will also be The Progressive Coffeehouse late-night on Friday Night and a late-night band on Saturday night. Three more main stage bands to announce and the after-party bands. Stay tuned!

Tom Palmieri also said there may be a Sunday late-night show this year. The lineup is shaping up nicely althought there's still no real bucket list bands for me. Brand X used to be, but they've become touring fiends since their latest reunion. Still an excellent headliner choice though, and Tom P. mentioned their keyboardist Chris Clark would also be doing a collaboration with Rachel Flowers. Booking England would be enough to bring me back this year. Or Hackett who sadly bypassed my area on his current Selling England By the Pound tour. Or Steve Wilson ditto.

A couple suggestions for the organizers.
    1) Get better beer at the venue. Last year there was regular Sam Adams or Heineken. That's it? I left Progstock a couple times to go to the local brewery Wet Ticket, which was great. I heard it was on tap at Progstock 2 years ago, please bring it back!
    2) I wasn't impressed with the last year's late night venues. You couldn't see or hear the bands very well at The Waiting Room, and at the theater down the road instead of using the beautiful little 200 seat (?) theater the bands were in what felt like a small gymnasium with no seats. I loved Stratospheerius but after 2AM we were just too tired to keep standing around for Fernando Perdomo's band.

Quote Originally Posted by kenschwartz View Post
    lucky for you then...it's not in November.
    it is columbus day weekend - Oct 11-13
    Yep. Going 3 years now, it has never been in November and come to think of it....has a prog festival ever been held in November?

Quote Originally Posted by Wah3 View Post
    Tom Palmieri also said there may be a Sunday late-night show this year. The lineup is shaping up nicely althought there's still no real bucket list bands for me. Brand X used to be, but they've become touring fiends since their latest reunion. Still an excellent headliner choice though, and Tom P. mentioned their keyboardist Chris Clark would also be doing a collaboration with Rachel Flowers. Booking England would be enough to bring me back this year. Or Hackett who sadly bypassed my area on his current Selling England By the Pound tour. Or Steve Wilson ditto.

A couple suggestions for the organizers.
    1) Get better beer at the venue. Last year there was regular Sam Adams or Heineken. That's it? I left Progstock a couple times to go to the local brewery Wet Ticket, which was great. I heard it was on tap at Progstock 2 years ago, please bring it back!
    2) I wasn't impressed with the last year's late night venues. You couldn't see or hear the bands very well at The Waiting Room, and at the theater down the road instead of using the beautiful little 200 seat (?) theater the bands were in what felt like a small gymnasium with no seats. I loved Stratospheerius but after 2AM we were just too tired to keep standing around for Fernando Perdomo's band.
    Re: Brand X...that is the "problem" with getting "bigger" acts sometimes as they can border on ubiquitous and then the festival gets the opposite effect. It's VERY hard to get bands big enough to get people to attend yet not so big that they play your town every year or two.

Sounds like you didn't go to ProgStock 2017. At that first ProgStock, we got Wet Ticket to have beer both at the venue AND across the street at that year's after party location which was gone for year two. And lots of different beer too. I was VERY BUMMED when we couldn't work out to have Wet Ticket again for year two. We're trying like hell to have them or someone back for year three I assure you.

Yeah, it was a late night and the Fazioli Room isn't perfect. I think we're looking at the proper Hamilton Stage this year. We'll see. To be honest, I've looked/heard video from The Waiting Room and as far as the usual New Jersey "bar that has bands", the sound wasn't all that bad. It's hard to strike a balance between a fun venue people want to hang out in and one that can have music playing for those who just can't get enough music over the weekend. We played the after party in the cavernous Eisenhower Room at RoSfest and even with hours and hours of soundcheck, we had a horrible monitoring situation and people were just shouting and having a great time during our set. It's really hard to strike that balance. Like someone said above, many people just want to hang out after the main bands. And I say that as a band member that has played all of these "imperfect" situations where bands aren't all that "welcome" and you feel like you're getting in the way of people's conversations.

UPDATE:

Main Stage artists:

Brand X
    Phideaux
    Rocket Scientists
    IO Earth
    Discipline
    The Cyberiam

Late Night Bands:

TBA
    Last edited by 3RDegree_Robert; 03-03-2019 at 12:05 AM.

Wasn't Phideaux announced also?

Quote Originally Posted by Twelfth Earl of Mar View Post
    Wasn't Phideaux announced also?
    http://www.progstock.com/2019/artist...ists/phideaux/

Yep. Going 3 years now, it has never been in November and come to think of it....has a prog festival ever been held in November?
    Progfest '94 was held November 5 & 6, 1994.

This really looks like a fabulous line-up!

Yes....PHIDEAUX!

Quote Originally Posted by roylayer View Post
    Progfest '94 was held November 5 & 6, 1994.
    And a great fest it was!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe F. View Post
    And a great fest it was!
    Indeed! It was a fantastic line-up:

Echolyn
    Halloween
    Kalaban
    Änglagård
    Anekdoten
    Giraffe
    Minimum Vital
    Sebastian Hardie

The only bad part was being held prisoner in the Variety Arts Center. Remember that? Once you left the building, there was NO re-admittance. (This was not the organizers' fault.) That meant that we were stuck with their food too. Oh well, it was all worth it!

ProgWest, where the first NDV "Shaming of the True" performance took place, was November 8-10, 2002.

Quote Originally Posted by roylayer View Post
    Indeed! It was a fantastic line-up:

Echolyn
    Halloween
    Kalaban
    Änglagård
    Anekdoten
    Giraffe
    Minimum Vital
    Sebastian Hardie

The only bad part was being held prisoner in the Variety Arts Center. Remember that? Once you left the building, there was NO re-admittance. (This was not the organizers' fault.) That meant that we were stuck with their food too. Oh well, it was all worth it!
    I knew all of the bands except for Echolyn. They kicked my ass that night. We stayed at the hotel with all the bands and partied deep into every night. Of course, I was only 29 at the time. Great memories!

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    ProgWest, where the first NDV "Shaming of the True" performance took place, was November 8-10, 2002.
    Well...that's California! And that was once no?

Looks like there will be three ProgStock announcements and interviews on The Waiting Room @ 8:00 PM EST @ http://houseofprog.com on Friday 3/8/19!

PROGSTOCK 2019 Rahway, NJ's Union County PAC October 11-13 2019

UPDATE:

Main Stage artists:

Brand X
    Phideaux
    Rocket Scientists
    IO Earth
    Discipline
    The Cyberiam
    Jane Getter Premonition
    Salem Hill

More TBA

Late Night Bands:

Randy McStine

More TBA
    Last edited by 3RDegree_Robert; 03-09-2019 at 08:18 PM.