Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678
Results 176 to 188 of 188

Thread: PROGSTOCK 2019 Rahway, NJ's Union County PAC October 11-13 2019

  1. #176
    Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    10,546
    Quote Originally Posted by doh View Post
    Honest question - any suggestions on how I can better support the scene in your opinion?
    My honest answer is that you already are supporting the scene. One festival a year isn't too bad. I'm sure the vendors you mention appreciate your patronage. Also, you share your thoughts on a forum like PE, that is also supporting the scene.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

  2. #177
    Agreed. Buying CDs instead of streaming and attending one festival a year plus attending local shows is pretty good support and I thank you for that! If everyone “aware” of new, independent progressive music did that, we’d have a heftier “scene” for sure. It’s those that attend a Steven Wilson show every three years and a “big 6” show here and there and have no idea what we’re talking about on this forum...that’s where the numbers are but sadly little interest ultimately.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. #178
    Moderator Poisoned Youth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Nothern Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,967
    Quote Originally Posted by 3RDegree_Robert View Post
    It’s those that attend a Steven Wilson show every three years and a “big 6” show here and there and have no idea what we’re talking about on this forum...that’s where the numbers are but sadly little interest ultimately.
    This may come across as unpopular, but from where I sit, the health of "the scene" is exactly what one should expect it to be going into 2020. There are quite a few factors at play that have been discussed into the ground here. But the critical factor to me is the failure of the progressive rock movement (however one might define that) in the last 25 years to attract a younger audience.

    Because there aren't a new crop of flagship artists that can draw both younger and older crowds carrying the torch, primarily what we have left is an aging demographic of both artists and listeners, and a bunch of talented "bar bands" who are like trees falling in the forest with nobody listening.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

  4. #179
    Member doh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    281
    Quote Originally Posted by 3RDegree_Robert View Post
    Agreed. Buying CDs instead of streaming and attending one festival a year plus attending local shows is pretty good support and I thank you for that!
    I pre-ordered your new DVD also.

    Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    This may come across as unpopular, but from where I sit, the health of "the scene" is exactly what one should expect it to be going into 2020. There are quite a few factors at play that have been discussed into the ground here. But the critical factor to me is the failure of the progressive rock movement (however one might define that) in the last 25 years to attract a younger audience.

    Because there aren't a new crop of flagship artists that can draw both younger and older crowds carrying the torch, primarily what we have left is an aging demographic of both artists and listeners, and a bunch of talented "bar bands" who are like trees falling in the forest with nobody listening.
    I have a different experience, but what you say does seem to be common sentiment and you may be right in the big picture. For me, I pay far more attention to the new crop of flagship artists than to the big 6. I'm living in an exciting world of constant new discoveries and bands pushing genre definitions. Bands like Riverside, Bent Knee, Devin Townsend, Haken, District 97, The Dear Hunter, Leprous, Anathema, and Opeth are carrying the torch for me. And other newer bands like Southern Empire, Evership, Toehider, make me feel like the future will remain bright. Even debut CDs from brand-new bands like Mile Marker Zero, Issun, Circu5, Ring of Gyges, Umae, Soul Enema, Meandering Mine, For All We Know, Tilt, Artificial Silence, and Oak keep me hopeful. I spend a lot of time on Progstreaming.com and I think there will constantly be new waves. I run out of time to listen before I run out of good music to listen to. But that's my experience.

  5. #180
    Thanks for the support doh! Poisoned Youth: I think also that “Evening With...” shows with no openers didn’t help and Rush (might’ve been Neil) felt bad about not being able to give some exposure anymore once they changed to that format. But for the cruise, Yes haven’t had openers for years and neither have loads of others. There were a few 90’s acts that managed to make careers for themselves like Morse and his projects and some metal Prog acts more recently so there’s some that break through but yes despite my band’s more recent “theatricality”, most of us smaller Prog labeled acts are “bar bands” at the end of the day with seldom plucks to bigger stages.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #181
    Even with the festivals, it was a nice thing for the opening acts but not a full answer. I think the full answer would be to have a network of cities where these groups could travel and road-test themselves. I remember Lynnette trying to get something like that going years ago, but there just wasn't enough there... not enough people to go to the gigs, not enough promoters, not enough bands (and usually the same people have to do all three).

    I also remember having a conversation with Rob the day after one of the NF, when Under the Sun played. They just got to play in front of 1000 people. That's probably the biggest audience they'd ever had to that point, and the biggest audience they ever would have. And they only really got to do that because they were on the same bill as Banco and Porcupine Tree. So it was kind of happy for them, but also must have been sad, because where were they supposed to go from there?

    We've probably lost a lot of classic albums that never got made because groups would once have had several albums (with label support) to find their voice, and now that possibility doesn't exist. I admire the passion of a lot of the prog bands going but it's hard to make another Close to the Edge if you have to spend M-F working as an accountant.

  7. #182
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    193
    Quote Originally Posted by smcfee View Post
    ...but it's hard to make another Close to the Edge if you have to spend M-F working as an accountant.
    Would that be .....

    Close to the LEdgeR ??
    "Normal is just the average of extremes" - Gary Lessor

  8. #183
    Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    Couldn't make it out to Progstock but I was able to catch 3.2 and Brand X at Sellersville Theater last night. 3.2 was only able to play for 45 minutes, but what they did play was a lot of fun. I thoroughly enjoyed Desda de Vida and Talkin' Bout.

    Brand X were brain meltingly good. I was sort of a newbie with them. I bought Masques a long long time time ago, on cassette, and remember liking that but had not further explored. The interplay last night was telepathic and the the interaction of the drummer and percussionist couldn't be any tighter. I also never knew what a ham Goodsall is, playing everything up for the (sadly small) crowd. So as of today I'm a card-carrying (or at least Blu-ray owning) fan.
    I Agree 1000% Arturs- KG & SW hand and glove.

  9. #184
    Member Rajaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Katy TX & Halifax Canada
    Posts
    317
    Bill Bruford has endorsed this band District 97 who are seen here playing "One more red nightmare" with John Wetton, I think these guys and gal and a great fit for Progstock 2020!
    Like they say in baseball, get your runs in by the first inning!

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyPcabi4iBc
    Last edited by Rajaz; 10-30-2019 at 02:15 PM. Reason: composition

  10. #185
    Member gearHed289's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    414
    Yeah, I was happy to see Bruford name drop them in that recent Rolling Stone interview. Definitely a good choice.

  11. #186
    Quote Originally Posted by smcfee View Post
    Even with the festivals, it was a nice thing for the opening acts but not a full answer. I think the full answer would be to have a network of cities where these groups could travel and road-test themselves. I remember Lynnette trying to get something like that going years ago, but there just wasn't enough there... not enough people to go to the gigs, not enough promoters, not enough bands (and usually the same people have to do all three).

    I also remember having a conversation with Rob the day after one of the NF, when Under the Sun played. They just got to play in front of 1000 people. That's probably the biggest audience they'd ever had to that point, and the biggest audience they ever would have. And they only really got to do that because they were on the same bill as Banco and Porcupine Tree. So it was kind of happy for them, but also must have been sad, because where were they supposed to go from there?

    We've probably lost a lot of classic albums that never got made because groups would once have had several albums (with label support) to find their voice, and now that possibility doesn't exist. I admire the passion of a lot of the prog bands going but it's hard to make another Close to the Edge if you have to spend M-F working as an accountant.
    Interesting commentary. I kind of agree. Our "normal" shows are a total downer next to any festival appearance we've ever done. And I think we've entered into "festival only mode" more or less presently where we're pretty much done playing live but for an "offer we can't refuse". It feels like the last enthusiasm exists for the few festivals left and little else. Just the view from my personal perch as a band leader. I watch the bands who friend me on Facebook and three seconds later ask me to like their band and I'm like "that's so 2008!" In other words, I do not envy the even newer prog bands out there trying to start out and make a name for themselves, etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rajaz View Post
    Bill Bruford has endorsed this band District 97 who are seen here playing "One more red nightmare" with John Wetton, I think these guys and gal and a great fit for Progstock 2020!
    Like they say in baseball, get your runs in by the first inning!
    WELL aware of them inside the ProgStock fold as are I believe everyone else. We're coming up on a decade since they started playing festivals....regularly...so it's kind of like telling us to buy Apple stock That said, there's a new album so I personally would find it a good time to have them. I'm personally not nuts about having an act at a festival 2+ years out from a studio release with nothing in sight which you see sometimes. Just a personal thing for me.
    Last edited by 3RDegree_Robert; 11-02-2019 at 09:24 PM.

  12. #187
    Announced at ProgStock 2019 for ProgStock 2020 were:

    I/O Earth & California Guitar Trio

    Just announced....

    District 97 & Mile Marker Zero

  13. #188
    A great recap of the whole festival

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •