Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: PROGSTOCK 2019 Rahway, NJ's Union County PAC October 11-13 2019

Quote Originally Posted by doh View Post
    Those were great! Enjoyed seeing so many familiar faces in the crowd.
    Yeah, I caught a glimpse of a couple of new friends too (Laura and Nancy who I met at this past weekend's Genesis gathering in Chicago).

^ Um, say what?

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ Um, say what?
    This gal Laura has apparently been doing "Genesis Gathering" events for 12 years now. This year was in Chicago. Friday night was past members' solo material, and Saturday was a Grand Parade show. They cover Trespass through WaW. It was a great time with much of the local prog crowd, as well as some out of towners. I played bass and faux "Stick" for the Gabriel set on Friday.

EDIT - sorry for the derail - Back to Progstock!

Quote Originally Posted by gearHed289 View Post
    This gal Laura has apparently been doing "Genesis Gathering" events for 12 years now. This year was in Chicago. Friday night was past members' solo material, and Saturday was a Grand Parade show. They cover Trespass through WaW. It was a great time with much of the local prog crowd, as well as some out of towners. I played bass and faux "Stick" for the Gabriel set on Friday.

EDIT - sorry for the derail - Back to Progstock!
    Thanks for the info. Is there a website for this outside of Facebook? I might have made the trip to Chi-town for this, had I known.
    "If you want to see the true nature of humanity, just look at the internet."

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

I don't think so. Seemed to be a pretty casual word of mouth thing. I only became aware of it through some friends in a Porc. Tree tribute band (Cloud Zero). The keyboardist Mark posted something about it on Facebook, and I jumped at the chance to do the Gabriel stuff. A guy that books both our bands is interested in booking us some shows, so it looks like we'll be doing it again. Apparently Grand Parade hadn't played in 8 years, but now they're also possibly going to become active again.

PROGSTOCK 2019 Rahway, NJ's Union County PAC October 11-13 2019

https://youtu.be/GXtooD-edWA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Wah3 View Post
    Bingo. They got slotted in for Saturday 11:30PM. What’s the show like, all guitar or does Dave have a keyboard rig?
    Hey, cool! I just got back from vacation and saw this. I'd like to think my suggestion may have had something to do with this!
    WJK

Just a suggestion to Thomas PALMIERI and the Festival organizers: please try your best efforts to stick to the schedule, last year there were too many delays due to very long sound checks and production set-up (video and lighting).

Like many festivals around the world, there are multiple logistics, equipment sequencing and sound board & lighting testing going on but it is imperative to tell the artists that stage changes and sound checks have to move in pace with the program.

I hope we don't get a "reduced" performance from any of the artists like unfortunately happened with Eddie Jobson's UK last year that the authorities came in to shut down the show due to curfew laws. Eddie may be a perfectionist but in the best interest of the audience and other performers & crews, auto discipline is a huge factor.

See you in a few more days!

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rajaz View Post
    Just a suggestion to Thomas PALMIERI and the Festival organizers: please try your best efforts to stick to the schedule, last year there were too many delays due to very long sound checks and production set-up (video and lighting).

Like many festivals around the world, there are multiple logistics, equipment sequencing and sound board & lighting testing going on but it is imperative to tell the artists that stage changes and sound checks have to move in pace with the program.
    Do you think they're not trying to stick to their schedule? Sound checks are much more complicated than you may realize, and I'm not necessarily talking about equipment and technology. There are a lot of moving parts and a lot of personalities. No artist wants to go on stage in front of a crowd without making sure everything is working and sounds right. While they are given an allotted amount of time for soundcheck (sometimes just a line check based on time), it's not so easy to rush a musician off the stage is things aren't right.
    Chad

Interview with Rachel Flowers, Robert Berry, and Michael Sadler about the upcoming ProgStock: This Saga has 3.2 Flowers at Progstock 2019
    "The Only Thing Is Love" is a mistake and should be "The Endless Enigma"

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    Do you think they're not trying to stick to their schedule? Sound checks are much more complicated than you may realize, and I'm not necessarily talking about equipment and technology. There are a lot of moving parts and a lot of personalities. No artist wants to go on stage in front of a crowd without making sure everything is working and sounds right. While they are given an allotted amount of time for soundcheck (sometimes just a line check based on time), it's not so easy to rush a musician off the stage is things aren't right.
    Thanks Chad. Yes all including Tom are well aware and that was an unfortunate happening last year. I can’t remember now if it was one or more things that led to it but lesson learned and I believe this year’s “ambitions” have been lessened a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by 3RDegree_Robert View Post
    Thanks Chad. Yes all including Tom are well aware and that was an unfortunate happening last year. I can’t remember now if it was one or more things that led to it but lesson learned and I believe this year’s “ambitions” have been lessened a bit.

The "problem" was there was nobody willing to STOP Jobson with his " music theory" afternoon lecture! He talked through the next bands set and the schedule never recovered. I was there.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

To those attending ProgStock this weekend.....safe travels and we hope to see you there. Take care!!!

Hope to see you all at Progstock This weekend

We (NEKTAR) play at 5PM on Sunday for 11/2 hours but there are lots of good bands playing this weekend including our fellow headliners Saga, Brand X and Robert Berry and 3.2

We intend to give you something you will remember for a long time so hang on to your hats. The lightshow is in fine form and so is the band. We are raring to go.

SEE YOU THERE

MO

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mochester View Post
    Hope to see you all at Progstock This weekend

We (NEKTAR) play at 5PM on Sunday for 11/2 hours but there are lots of good bands playing this weekend including our fellow headliners Saga, Brand X and Robert Berry and 3.2

We intend to give you something you will remember for a long time so hang on to your hats. The lightshow is in fine form and so is the band. We are raring to go.

SEE YOU THERE

MO
    Good luck with the show! Wish I could be there.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

Anyone know if it's still possible to purchase 1-day passes? I had to wait for a friend to commit to attend the Saturday show. I had looked at available seats this morning before work, and just received confirmation that my friend can make it. Now when I went on line to order the tickets, it simply says, "TICKET SALES ENDED". That said, it indicates that there are still 294 unfilled seats.
    I called and left a message at the ticket sales number, but I realize the Friday show is fully in progress...

^ I'm no spokesman, but surely walk-up sales are available with that many seats unsold?
    "If you want to see the true nature of humanity, just look at the internet."

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ I'm no spokesman, but surely walk-up sales are available with that many seats unsold?
    Yes - received a 3am text indicating that was the case. Thanks!

Wow! Two days done so far and No one has an opinion?
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Been seeing fb posts from friends having fun
    Ian

I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Phideaux - Great band to kick things off. Could have been a headliner. A 10 piece with 4 female singers, lots of great harmonies. The songs were mostly from the “Doomsday Trilogy” of albums and included “Cast Out and Cold,” “We Only Have Eyes for You,” “You and Me Against a World of Pain,” “The Doctrine of Eternal Ice (Part Two),” “From Hydrogen to Love,” “Microdeath Softstar” and a bit of “Snowtorch Pt. I” and “Tempest of Mutiny”.

Salem Hill - 4 piece of guitar/bass/keys/drums. Not familiar with their catalog so I’ll say only that they seemed a competent bush of chaps. Songs included “Riding the Fence,” “Float,” “Holding On (Happy Hands),” "To the Hill." "Beings" and “The Joy Gem”.

Rachel Flowers and Chris Clark did a dual keyboard interlude of 20 plus minutes, mostly improvised I believe. Rachel on the Fazioli grand piano, Chris on his Korg Kronos.

Robert Berrys 3.2 - Another 4 piece of seasoned professionals. Robert told stories about his career and the legends he’s met. A lot of covers were played - Ambrosia’s “Life Beyond LA” to open, “Watcher of the Skies” and “Karn Evil 9“ to close. Andrew Colyer and Jimmy Keegan nailed the tough keys/drums break in Desde La Vida, one of the highlights. Other songs included GTR - “No One Else To Blame”, Yes - “Roundabout”, Jethro Tull - ”Minstrel in the Gallery”, from 3 - “Talkin’ Bout” and The Byrds - “Eight Miles High”, from 3.2 - “Somebody’s Watching” and ”Powerful Man” and Robert Berry’s own ”Can’t Let Go”, “Last Ride into the Sun” and “Takin' It Back”.

After hours in the Waiting Room with Martin Scnella and Melanie Mau. I stayed thru their cover of The Pinnacle. The guys from Valdez minus the drummer also did a short acoustic set.

Jane Getter Premonition kicked off Saturday with an 11AM explosion. Was looking forward to this and it turned out to be a highlight of the festival. Rock and fusion by ace musicians with lots of solis. Adam Holzman, Alex Skolnick especially impressive on keys, guitar and drums. Randy McStine joined on vocals for a few tracks. Songs included “Surprised,” “Train Man,” “Alien Refugee” and a cover of Mahavishnu’s “Dance of Maya”. After a super fast number someone yelled ironically “can you kick it up a notch?” That would’ve been impossible.

Discipline - 4 piece with Matthew Parmenter doing theatrical vocals in mime makeup. Wasn’t the most impressive for me, I liked the guitarist Chris Herin. Songs included “Life Imitates Art,” “Circuitry,” “Canto IV”, “Crutches”, “The Body Yearns” and multiple parts of “Rogue”.

Missed Rachel Flowers and Robert Berry duet as I left for Wet Ticket brewery. The less said the better about the beer selection at the venue. Someone posted a vid and it looked like Robert was on vocals and Rachel on the Fazioli again. Songs included Berry's "Our Bond" and "Flowers' "Free".

Rocket Scientists - Made it back in time for this band and was I glad I did. Another 4 piece whose catalog I don’t know but these guys blew me away. All great soloists. It’s a darn shame if this really is their last show. Songs included “The Fall of Icarus,” “Sky is Falling,” “Down Trodden,” “Dreamcurrents,” “Mariner,” “Avalon,” “Earthbound” “Oblivion Days” and parts of “Dark Water”.

Randy McStine came on for a half hour solo set on guitar and looper which was a nice style change. Songs included”Send Your Light,” “Bottom Feeder Blues,” and “Skrol”.

Brand X - I’ve seen them do better shows. Sound was a bit muddled but it was still highly enjoyable. Good loose version of “Not Good Enough...See Me”. Great version of “And So To F” to close the set, “Malaga Virgen” for the encore. Other songs included “Born Ugly”, “Disco Suicide,” “The Ghost of Mayfield Lodge,” “Noddy Goes To Sweden,” “Cambodia” and “Why Should I Lend You Mine (When You've Broken Yours Off Already”.

Paul Bielatowicz in guitar Dave Bainbridge on guitar and keys did solis and duets set to visuals from old time silent films. Lots of fun with the old George Melies classic A Trip to the Moon-light Sonata.
    Last edited by Wah3; 3 Days Ago at 12:59 PM.

Great review, thank you for taking time to break down the music thus far.
    I love Rocket Scientists and even have a video concert of a show they did I believe in Russia.
    Erik Norlander is now teamed with John Payne formerly of Asia, and they have a cd released a year or two ago under the name of Dukes of the Orient.

Tonight will be a great night for ProgStock 19.
    Saga headlining with Nektar premiering their new lineup in support of the new album, The Other Side.
    My prediction is Nektar is going to bring the walls down with their performance and surprise a lot of people. They've got a great band and a whole lot of passion and talent to provide a "wow" concert.
    And Saga puts everything they've got into their shows, and often, even the uninitiated, walk away as new fans.

Have fun..
    Last edited by Top Cat; 6 Days Ago at 06:52 AM.
    Soundcloud page: Open Window, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice

Any more information on the Salem Hill set? If I had been able to go, that was one of the main draws.

Also Discipline. That band played blew me away at Progtoberfest a few years ago and I would love to see them again.

California Guitar Trio announced for next year.

it was certainly great to see SAGA last night

loved it

Ian was loud as fuck lol
    2trevorsforlife