Thread: R.I.P. drummer Ted McKenna

R.I.P. drummer Ted McKenna

From FaceBook:

R.I.P. Ted McKenna
    JANUARY 19TH, 2019

Ted McKenna was a great guy and wonderful musician, I was shocked to hear of his premature passing, following a routine operation.

I first met Ted on an early trip with Rory and Taste to Scotland in 1967, I believe at a venue called The Place, Coatbridge. We became reacquainted when he came down to London with the Alex Harvey Band.

When Rory held auditions for a new drummer in 1978, at the recommendation of engineer Colin Fairly, Ted was invited to Air Studios, London. He immediately impressed my brother and McKenna was in, extraordinarily performing his first show with the band at the Macroom ‘Open Air’ Festival. Ted learning the set on the flight to Cork and in the dressing room rehearsals just prior to the gig!

Along with his mighty drumming skills, he brought his warm personality and off-the-wall sense of humour - much of the banter was heard in between the studio session takes, non-stop mimicking and mickey-taking.

An absolute professional, Ted was a joy to be on the road with and always kept a sense of balance, no matter what life threw at you.

My sincere condolences to all Ted’s family and friends.

Bless you Ted, you’ll always bring a smile to my face and delight to my ears with your playing.

Dónal Gallagher

Ted also played in the Michael Schenker Group in the 80's, with his Alex Harvey Band mate Chris Glen. I feel fortunate to have seen seen Ted and Chris play when I saw Herr Michael perform last year. That was an awesome show. I had forgotten that he had also played with Rory Gallagher (Ireland's finest guitar god, in my book). RIP Ted

I didn't know he played with Rory either. Still love the AHB albums. RIP Ted. Thanks for the great music.

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    I didn't know he played with Rory either. .
    Well, I certainly own all the Rory albums (or at least the ones that were released during his lifetime), so I sort of knew he had played with him, but it's been so long since I've listened to any of those records (I seem to gravitate more to the Rod de'Ath era albums, for some reason), I sort of forgot about his presence. Or maybe I didn't think to ask, "Is that the same Ted McKenna?"

Ted plays on Rory's albums Photo Finish (1978), Top Priority (1979), and Stage Struck (1980).

Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    Ted plays on Rory's albums Photo Finish (1978), Top Priority (1979), and Stage Struck (1980).
    Yes, sir, correct. He's on at least a couple archival things that came out after Rory passed away, also. I believe he's on the BBC Sessions double CD that came out in the 90's, and also Notes From San Francisco, which combines the album that he recorded just before Photo Finish (but which went unreleased until a few years ago) with a live show recorded soon after hiring McKenna. And he's probably on the Rockpalast DVD set (which as something like five different shows on it, but it's never been issued in Region 1, I don't think).

Yep. Some of those Rockplast shows are on YouTube, and they're killer!

Yep. Some of those Rockplast shows are on YouTube, and they're killer!
    Yeah, I know, I've been meaning to download them. I have one from 78 or so, I think, it's the one with the encore jam with Frankie Miller joining in, that I have on a bootleg VHS. Would be nice if the DVD set were given a North American release, though.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Rest in peace, Ted.

Was sad to find this out this morning. I’ve been getting into SAHB quite a bit over the last couple of years and thought that Ted and Chris Glenn made up a really tight, powerful rhythm section. I wondered if I’d ever be able to see any of the SAHB members live on stage and also just found out that Ted played here in Evanston (next to Chicago) this past November. Had I known I surely would have gone. RIP

R.I.P. Ted!

Saw him live as a teenager, with Rory on the Top Priority Tour in 1979! An experience for a lifetime - biggest impression was that I got the opportunity to shake his hand (and Gary's and Rory's).
    My Progressive Workshop at http://soundcloud.com/hfxx

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I had to ask around a bit to find out, but he played on a couple of tracks on Fish's "Internal Exile" album and the Black Canal b-side as well. Fish posted about his passing on FB today.

Yeah the McKennas were kinda legendary back in the day around Glasgow and Coatbridge - Ted and his cousin Hugh were in Alex Harvey's band and Hugh's sister Mae (who went to school with my late brother - same school as Ted - St Patrick's High School, Coatbridge) was/is a folk singer first with a band called Contraband, which kinda morphed into Ossian, then as a solo act.
    R.I.P. Ted.

I have those albums and didn't realize it. Thanks for pointing this out. Rory was such a great raw guitarist.

Quote Originally Posted by jake View Post
    Yeah the McKennas were kinda legendary back in the day around Glasgow and Coatbridge - Ted and his cousin Hugh were in Alex Harvey's band and Hugh's sister Mae (who went to school with my late brother - same school as Ted - St Patrick's High School, Coatbridge) was/is a folk singer first with a band called Contraband, which kinda morphed into Ossian, then as a solo act.
    R.I.P. Ted.
    I didn't realize that Mae was Ted's sister. Contraband were pretty good.

Only knew him in SAHB, now I'll have to check out those Rory albums. RIP.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    Only knew him in SAHB, now I'll have to check out those Rory albums. RIP.

You should also check out Assault Attack and Built To Destroy by MSG, as well, if you're into the heavy rock thing.

U.K. top ten hit in July 1976, alongside Don’t Go Breaking My Heart, The Boys Are Back In Town, Let’s Stick Together and Leader of the Pack.

The Sensational Alex Harvey Band with their brilliant hit “Boston Tea Party.” Great tom groove by Ted. As far as pop hits go, I love this tune and can see why it was such a big hit

https://youtu.be/wWF3S9OgQho