Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Woodstock 2019, the return at 50

Woodstock 2019, the return at 50

It has been announced that to celebrate the 50th anniversary of Woodstock a new edition will be held in 2019, August 16th to 18th, this time in Watkins Glen, New York.
    No bands list yet, but the organizer says they want to really go back to the original roots of the Festival.

http://consequenceofsound.net/2019/0...2019-festival/

Though there are conflictual reports as to the grounds where the event will be held

https://consequenceofsound.net/2018/...-bethel-woods/
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I'm actually tempted to see this.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    It has been announced that to celebrate the 50th anniversary of Woodstock a new edition will be held in 2019, August 16th to 18th, this time in Watkins Glen, New York.
    No bands list yet, but the organizer says they want to really go back to the original roots of the Festival.

http://consequenceofsound.net/2019/0...2019-festival/

Though there are conflictual reports as to the grounds where the event will be held

https://consequenceofsound.net/2018/...-bethel-woods/
    Only partially. By putting an emphasis on hip-hop and rap, they are in fact rejecting the innovative and creative roots of Woodstock. Why not also celebrate disco and all of the crap that happened post Woodstock. The Who have said they don’t see Woodstock being re-created. Neither do I. However there is much money to be made.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    By putting an emphasis on hip-hop and rap, they are in fact rejecting the innovative and creative roots of Woodstock.
    The music performed at Woodstock was generally the popular music of the day.

Emphasizing 'hip-hop and rap' means that they will be performing what is generally the popular music of today whether or not you like the popular music of today.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    So in-other-words they are only selling a limited amount of tickets and then everyone else pulls down the fences and walks in for free and the organizers lose a ton of money.

Cant think of that many current bands I would want to see, but hasn't this been tried a few times before? Capturing lightning in a bottle thru careful planning. I need to revisit the original Woodstock music, and compare it to what shows up at this one. I was surprised at how low tech Woodstock was. I just don't see this coming off well, but who knows? A half a million people? You must be thinking of a gaming convention. Music doesn't draw like that any more (for very good reasons)

I apologize in advance for any perception of snark on my part (there is honestly none), but the combination of what kind of artists they are talking about being prevalent there and the fact that chronology has made me more sedentary and selective about traveling anywhere, leads me to the logical (for me) response of:

Been there, done that.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Been there, done that.
    That saying means more than what maybe you intended.

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    That saying means more than what maybe you intended.
    You lost me, sorry. Where is the controversy?
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Only partially. By putting an emphasis on hip-hop and rap, they are in fact rejecting the innovative and creative roots of Woodstock. Why not also celebrate disco and all of the crap that happened post Woodstock. The Who have said they don’t see Woodstock being re-created. Neither do I. However there is much money to be made.
    I would never declare that the original Woodstock content was pop in 1969. Woodstock was much closer to underground psychedelic. Woodstock certainly embraced cultural diversity, however for the most part it was head music and not mainstream like disco, hip-hop and rap, all of which are extremely regurgitated now. Woodstock music was hot off the presses and original.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I'm actually tempted to see this.
    Okay, maybe I'm not so tempted. I'd be interested from a historical standpoint. But, I'm not their market and the music would probably kill me ... or get me killed.

It's a novel idea. But I see no way they can capture a spirit that has been lost for decades.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

You lost me, sorry. Where is the controversy?
    Sorry didn’t intend controversy. It’s just that the original Woodstock was done before and can’t be recreated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    Sorry didn’t intend controversy. It’s just that the original Woodstock was done before and can’t be recreated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    All good. I only meant that I was there for the original (most long time PE people have heard that way too often from me).

Banned
    Woodstock was in my view a manifestation of a political and youth movement and the music reflected the demands of that movement to a large extent in terms of ending war(s), protesting oppressive social norms and even expanding consciousness (he said with naïveté). My gut tells me this attempt will have no such characteristics and I see no evidence of any effort being made in that direction - memorializing Jefferson Airplane et al will not cut it. Now, get the hell off my lawn!

I'm surprised they're trying it again after the fiasco Woodstock '99 turned out to be...riots, fires, et cetera, et cetera
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

"This time," Lang promises, "things will be different."

What's that expression about insanity? Trying the same thing and expecting a different result?

Different? Maybe this time it'll be worse. I'm sorry for being cynical. I was not at the original one, but I am mesmerized by it. Have read all the books, seen all the footage, etc. Maybe magic only happens once. And I know it wasn't always magic, having been told so by more than one person (Steve K. included) who was there.
    Last edited by Lopez; 01-19-2019 at 03:01 PM.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    I'm surprised they're trying it again after the fiasco Woodstock '99 turned out to be...riots, fires, et cetera, et cetera
    Actually, I'm not aware of this...

I heard via broadcast the 94 festival, where Traffic was the only one of the 60/70's generation (though being absent), but I never heard og 99.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    "This time," Lang promises, "things will be different."

What's that expression about insanity? Trying the same thing and expecting a different result?

Different? Maybe this time it'll be worse. I'm sorry for being cynical. I was not at the original one, but I am mesmerized by it. Have read all the books, seen all the footage, etc. Maybe magic only happens once. And I know it wasn't always magic, having been told so by more than one person (Steve K. included) who was there.
    Considering how things are today in the US, it could get pretty damned ugly. Either that or there will be so much security that it will be like a police state.

Of the bands that played in 69, how many have you listened to, A) regularly in the past? And B) still listen to kind of regularly today?

A) not many- only Joan Baez, CSN&Y, Hendrix, Santana but only in the 80s.

B) none.

I wish them luck in their endevour.
    They will separate me from none of my cash.
    Their target demographic probably does not include me anyway.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Hendrix
    Santana
    Johnny Winter
    Mountain
    Joe Cocker
    Paul Butterfield

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I would have loved to experience the original. I was born in 1962 so missed out on the counter cultural revolution. I lived in the aftermath and agreed with the values of this era. They could have the best line-up this time but it does not interest me at all.

Quote Originally Posted by AndiSexgang View Post
    Of the bands that played in 69, how many have you listened to, A) regularly in the past? And B) still listen to kind of regularly today?

A) not many- only Joan Baez, CSN&Y, Hendrix, Santana but only in the 80s.

B) none.
    A and B) Hendrix
    Country Joe and the Fish
    Grateful Dead
    Bert Sommer
    Paul Butterfield
    The Who
    Santana
    Canned Heat
    Sly and the Family Stone
    Janis Joplin
    Jefferson Airplane

Listen to very regularly today:
    The Who

Still listen to kind of regularly when feeling in the mood

Hendrix
    Jefferson Airplane
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

All good. I only meant that I was there for the original (most long time PE people have heard that way too often from me).
    I'll tell ya what, if I could say I saw any combination of the Grateful Dead, Jefferson Airplane, Richie Havens, Santana, Jimi Hendrix, Mountain, The Who, Sly And The Family Stone and/or Joan Baez circa 1969, never mind all of them in the same weekend , I'd brag about it, too.