Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Best Magma studio albums ?

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    Maybe the reason Udu Wudu and Attahk are a bit looked down by Magma fans is the lighter, happier, funkier atmosphere that permeates those 2 albums. Maybe they prefer the gloomier, wagnerian stuff. In my opinion these two records give another dimension to the Magma legend - and an essential one.
    While I'd drop "Spiritual", the rest of Attahk serves me very well - with "The Last Seven Minutes", "Dondai" and "Nono" even scoring uppermost on my appreciation-scale with the band. I mean, that bass riffing in "The Last Seven Minutes" is to die for; who else but Magma would even contemplate anything like that?

Alright, then - maybe Stanley Clarke on "Hymn of the Seventh Galaxy", a song and album which either influenced or on some bizarre level was influenced by Magma. In the same sense that one could suspect the opening of Zappa's "Waka Jawaka" to correspond with the same universe.
    Last edited by Scrotum Scissor; 01-23-2019 at 08:51 AM.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Attahk is one of my faves by CV and Co. Liriik Necronomicus Kanht, The Last Seven Minutes, and Dondai are all in my top 10 Magma compositions probably. I certainly listen to them more than most. Dondai in particular is one of their most lush arrangements IMO. And Nono is pure awesomeness; sounds like no one else.

I actually prefer it to Udu Wudu personally, not that the latter is bad in any way.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    While I'd drop "Spiritual", the rest of Attahk serves me very well - with "The Last Seven Minutes", "Dondai" and "Nono" even scoring uppermost on my appreciation-scale with the band. I mean, that bass riffing in "The Last Seven Minutes" is to die for; who else but Magma would even contemplate anything like that?

Alright, then - maybe Stanley Clarke on "Hymn of the Seventh Galaxy", a song and album which either influenced or on some bizarre level was influenced by Magma. In the same sense that one could suspect the opening of Zappa's "Waka Jawaka" to correspond with the same universe.
    Those bass riffs on The Last Seven Minutes are indeed excellent. I like the parallels drawn with Hymn... and Waka Jawaka too.
    Last edited by aith01; 01-23-2019 at 09:24 PM.

Attahk would have been awesome with more Blasquiz and less Vander on vocals

Quote Originally Posted by PROGMONSTER View Post
    Attahk would have been awesome with more Blasquiz and less Vander on vocals
    Ah man, I love Vander's vocals. Guess they are an acquired taste though.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    My vote for a great newbie Magma indoctrination would be Felicite Thosz, especially the DVD Epok version. Beautiful!
    Good call on that being a good introductory record. Felicite Thosz is absolutely lovely, IMO. The track "Ohst" is just such a jubilant, exhilarating release of energy near the end of the album. It's one of my favorite things ever put to record by these guys.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Ah man, I love Vander's vocals. Guess they are an acquired taste though.
    Yeah but blasquiz even better. I can only hear him for 10 seconds on album lol

I love Attahk but it took me time to warm up to it-
    Like Steve said above, perhaps it was too happy for me
    I am also on the "udu wudu is the least interesting 70s album" camp.
    Personally I am also not a huge fan of De-futura (blasphemy!) but I do appreciate it as a defining moment in Zeuhl style.

Quote Originally Posted by PROGMONSTER View Post
    Yeah but blasquiz even better. I can only hear him for 10 seconds on album lol
    That's fine if you prefer Blasquiz over Vander. I don't, but it's just our opinions.

Udu Wudu has Magma's best song. Weidorje

Has anybody mentioned or ever thought about a very disturbing similarity between this

and this...

I love the Radiohead song and even if it's a complete rip-off - which it is - it's been done in a clever and productive way.

^ Thom Yorke was ALWAYS great at, er, "interpreting".

But when Jello Biafra, Henry Rollins, Kristofer Rygg and Diamanda Galas can be Magma fans, why the hell not ol' Uncle Thom.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Johnny Rotten and Robert Trujillo as well, and Trey Gunn- but I did not know Diamanda Galas was- that's pretty cool.
    Magma_MA_03162016_010.jpg
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Just want to say this is a great thread. Love the discussion

if Radiohead really did rip off a Magma track that was never released in the studio that's actually kinda cool
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com