Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Best Magma studio albums ?

Probably the best interview with CV I have ever read.

http://blog.musoscribe.com/index.php...view-part-one/

Christian’s grandparents were from Poland and Germany.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    ^ Unfortunately, news are just in that your version is actually the right one. Chris V. never intended for this misunderstanding when he for once attempted Anglospeak and uttered "[…] J'ai receive mon primaire batterie drumme-cette chez le baker avec un grand brioche superbe, voila hello".

We got it wrong and took the wrong step years ago.
    you're so much fun

They keep referring to Stella as his wife, though. That ship sailed long ago, so you woult think they would get it right for once.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Quote Originally Posted by Dana5140 View Post
    They keep referring to Stella as his wife, though. That ship sailed long ago, so you woult think they would get it right for once.
    Yes, thats a bit funny, unless they have got together again.

But I like that CV is demystifyieng Magma, Kobaia, mythology, etc. and 'just' sounds like a genius musician and composer.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Yes, thats a bit funny, unless they have got together again.
    They have not. She’s been married to Francis Linon (aka Gong’s Venus Deluxe) for decades.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Which was exactly what he did - in a percussive manner, like so much Magma music pre-Köhntarkosz. Vander was taught the piano by his highly esteemed jazz-cat father, Maurice Vander. Apparently they were (and some say are) real close, Christian being born when his dad was still in his teens. From what I understand, Maurice Vander was the one who introduced his son to both jazz, neo-classical, religious and gypsy/ethnic musics.

But although his playing itself is very simple and straight-forward, it's the application, idea and context which makes for effect. For instance on "Blüm Tendïwa" off Würdah îtah, which serves an extremely elaborate function in the scale of a large work, namely that of ecstatic release. Vander was always brilliant at that kind of thing.
    Yes! That percussive approach to the piano is exactly it! That's one of the things I love about Würdah îtah.

I agree with all of what you said actually; the context is a key element to why it works so well. Vander has always been a genius at that sort of stuff.

But the lingering question... is he prog?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    They have not. She’s been married to Francis Linon (aka Gong’s Venus Deluxe) for decades.
    Has she kept "Vander" as her last name? I kept thinking she had (though I could be totally wrong), which was why I didn't realize until the last few years that she and Christian were no longer married.

It's interesting that she has continued working with CV and Magma all these years. Glad she has though!

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Yes! That percussive approach to the piano is exactly it! That's one of the things I love about Würdah îtah.

I agree with all of what you said actually; the context is a key element to why it works so well. Vander has always been a genius at that sort of stuff.

But the lingering question... is he prog?
    In the interview he denies listening to prog or that Magma is prog

I was being facetious, but that is interesting nonetheless!

I was being facetious, but that is interesting nonetheless!
    Facetious ! Beware - you could get the thread closed !

Facetious ! Beware - you could get the thread closed !

So have both Andersons done about their respective bands (Tull and Yes), Phil Collins about 'sissies, Zappa about his own work, Daevid about Gong's, Chris Cutler about Henry Cow's and Nick Mason on Floyd.

"Genre" is never about intent - it's about established, general definition and its application. I keep thinking of Jonathan Demme's spoof about 'Silence of the Lambs' actually being a tale of vaudeville (which was indeed why there was later a musical play based on the script), or the Zodiac (serial) killer's letter to journalist Paul Avery in which he referred to 'The Exorcist' as a satirical parody on religion.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Has she kept "Vander" as her last name? I kept thinking she had (though I could be totally wrong), ....
    Yes. She’s still Stella Vander.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I love Wurdah Itah, both studio and various live versions. My vote for a great newbie Magma indoctrination would be Felicite Thosz, especially the DVD Epok version. Beautiful!

Yep, she remains Vander, as was Isabelle Feuillebois for some time. Zab is now remarried, as of a few months ago. Stella had Julie with Christina, Marcus with Francis (Venus DeLuxe)- who was with Liza Bois (Liza DeLuxe) before Stella. Who can keep track??? (Well me apparently).
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Who can keep track???
    Darth had Luke with Grandma Moses.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Has she kept "Vander" as her last name? I kept thinking she had (though I could be totally wrong), which was why I didn't realize until the last few years that she and Christian were no longer married.

It's interesting that she has continued working with CV and Magma all these years. Glad she has though!
    Same here too... Her keeping the name of her ex leads to the confusion.

But then again, many European divorced women chose to keep their ex-husband's name in her generation and later one, if only to keep their name the same with their kids
    (my mom did too, though she added her maiden name afterwards)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Yep, she remains Vander, as was Isabelle Feuillebois for some time. Zab is now remarried, as of a few months ago. Stella had Julie with Christian, Marcus with Francis (Venus DeLuxe)- who was with Liza Bois (Liza DeLuxe) before Stella. Who can keep track??? (Well me apparently).
    Mmh... I disagree with several of the above. First, Stella has sometimes (even on one or two releases iirc) called herself "Stella Linon" - I assume she and Francis are married. She probably keeps Vander as her *stage* name for convenience and name recognition. I don't think Isabelle and Christian were ever married, let alone her adopting "Vander" as surname.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

I didn't realize until the last few years that she and Christian were no longer married.

By 1974-75, theirs was already an "open marriage", as 'documented' in Didier Lockwood's autobiography in which he told about his affair with Stella and how Christian didn't seem to really mind... By 1978, when Antoine de Caunes' biography came out, it was mentioned that Christian was now involved with someone else, and referred to Stella as his "sister" (I guess in a "spiritual" sense).
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

Wurdah and 1001 are excellent.
    Udu, Attahk, Merci and Kohn are pretty good
    Mdk and Kobaia are average

Quote Originally Posted by PROGMONSTER View Post
    Wurdah and 1001 are excellent.
    Totally agreed.

Udu, Attahk, Merci and Kohn are pretty good
    Mostly agreed, although I'd say Attahk and Kohntarkosz are great.

Mdk and Kobaia are average
    Wait... MDK is just average?!

I don't know about that.

^ As for Kobaïa (aka Magma), it's way better than its reputation. Side 4, especially, is marvellous.

^ As for Kobaïa (aka Magma), it's way better than its reputation. Side 4, especially, is marvellous.
    That's one of the few Magma discs I've not heard yet, for some reason. But this is encouraging!

Totally agreed.

Mostly agreed, although I'd say Attahk and Kohntarkosz are great.

Wait... MDK is just average?!

I don't know about that.
    Too repetitive and not very interesting. Not a great recording either.

Too repetitive and not very interesting. Not a great recording either.
    Well the recording sound quality isn't great, I'll give you that. But the repetition is part of what makes it work, IMO. I find it very interesting. To each their own though!