Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What is the last song that you would want to hear before you die?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    The last thing I want to hear before I die is a woman's shrieks of delight.
    Damn! Your wife hates you that much?

What a question? Have you really given this much thought? Very morbid.

Not the last song I would like to hear, but the last song I would like to have blasted for as many folks to hear! All in good fun, of course. ;-) https://youtu.be/UrgpZ0fUixs

I also like ASIA's Sole Survivor. Probably should have played that one at my wedding. ;-)

It's amazing how many people don't want to consider the question..

Here you can all listen to my pick:

https://youtu.be/zcKGqgwLzjA

Quote Originally Posted by Mythos View Post
    It's amazing how many people don't want to consider the question..

Here you can all listen to my pick:

https://youtu.be/zcKGqgwLzjA
    I don't think it is amazing, I think it is quite natural that people don't want to think about such a morbid thing.

I don’t know. My Uncle planned out his funeral ceremony, including several songs that were played over the PA that were profound to him. Yeah, he was 99, but tomorrow isn’t promised to any of us. We think about making out a will, we entertain thoughts about what music we would have played as/when we die. It doesn’t seem unnatural to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    Damn! Your wife hates you that much?
    It'll be your mum...

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    A person I loved very much ended her life by assisted suicide this week. She had moved up to Washington to spend her last weeks at her sister's home and took nothing with her. I tried to send her an MP3 player with her favorite music, thinking this would be some comfort or distraction from her pain. But when I asked her what she wanted on it, she wouldn't say. Her sister told me without being asked that there was "some" music played as she passed. So this weekend I listened to her favorite band, the Lovin' Spoonful, and cried.
    I really prefer the word euthanasia

The notion of suicide is religious-ridden in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    The last thing I want to hear before I die is a woman's shrieks of delight.
    Well women's shrieking delightful orgasms are called "La Petite Mort"

Quote Originally Posted by AndiSexgang View Post
    I don't think it is amazing, I think it is quite natural that people don't want to think about such a morbid thing.
    Not morbid at all...
    Not afraid of death (or even how I will die), but my state of health is an issue, so euthanasia could be a solution I use (been done twice in my family, and this was actually very moving and ... even pleasant in a weird way)

And FTM, I don't think it's anymore morbid than choosing the music at your funeral (now that's even silly, since you won't hear it)

===============

KC's Epitath, LS' Freebird, A Love Supreme or Shine On You would be OK
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post

And FTM, I don't think it's anymore morbid than choosing the music at your funeral (now that's even silly, since you won't hear it)
    I think, my mother would have said the same thing.

===============
    You need to have them crank it louder, dude!

Well, I want people to remember me with a smile about my fanatic love of the music I leave instructions for them to play. Them, in this case, will be my kids, grandkids and wife. But they already know, anyway.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Good point. In my case, if there is music played at my funeral, I hope it's loud enough to wake the dead.

I think it would be selfish for me to choose the music for my funeral. It would just give my family members one more occasion to say "turn that crap off/down!"
    <sig out of order>

The notion of suicide is religious-ridden in this case.
    In fairness to Mr Triscuit, I believe that is the legal term used in Oegon.
    And yes, I agree something such as Assisted Dying is a much gentler and true term for the act.
    I also don't think it's morbid, it's part of the cycle of life and in case some haven't heard, it happens to us all. It's no different than writing a will or planning or paying for your funeral ahead of time.
    My mom had paid her cremation expenses ahead of time, signed all the documents with the funeral home, even how many copies of her death certificate should be made(we paid for more).
    And at the time of our loss, her thinking ahead made the transition and legal stuff so much easier for us.

The term "euthanasia" is usually confined to the active variety; the University of Washington website states that "euthanasia generally means that the physician would act directly, for instance by giving a lethal injection, to end the patient's life".[61] Physician-assisted suicide is thus not classified as euthanasia by the US State of Oregon, where it is legal under the Oregon Death with Dignity Act, and despite its name, it is not legally classified as suicide either.[62] Unlike physician-assisted suicide, withholding or withdrawing life-sustaining treatments with patient consent (voluntary) is almost unanimously considered, at least in the United States, to be legal.[63] The use of pain medication to relieve suffering, even if it hastens death, has been held as legal in several court decisions.[61]
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

We all feel differently about death. And have different ideas about what is morbid. I think it is morbid.

The Song that Never Ends
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

When you do it, I'll defer to your preferred terminology.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    The Song that Never Ends
    Ha, I thought of that one!
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Seriously, though, probably "A Day in the Life."
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Bearing in mind that I have no idea how I will feel when the time comes, I think I'd rather go out with something big and symphonic, something with a lot of slow tempos that I can get lost in...Mahlers' 9th or 10th, or La Mer (or the Trois Nocturnes), or Scheherazade perhaps.

I won't know till I get there.
    By then it will probably be too late for a request.
    My memory will have to serve.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

As a variation of the old joke goes - my wife asked what music I'd like at my funeral. I said "surprise me".

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    I think, my mother would have said the same thing.
    Not sure I like thinking like your mother, though!!

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Elton John's Funeral for a Torn Eardrums dude!!

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    Good point. In my case, if there is music played at my funeral, I hope it's loud enough to wake the dead.

I think it would be selfish for me to choose the music for my funeral. It would just give my family members one more occasion to say "turn that crap off/down!"
    Let's get back to when you're still (barely) alive, shall we??

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Seriously, though, probably "A Day in the Life."
    That's a goodie... and Elton FFaF as well
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    A person I loved very much ended her life by assisted suicide this week. She had moved up to Washington to spend her last weeks at her sister's home and took nothing with her. I tried to send her an MP3 player with her favorite music, thinking this would be some comfort or distraction from her pain. But when I asked her what she wanted on it, she wouldn't say. Her sister told me without being asked that there was "some" music played as she passed. So this weekend I listened to her favorite band, the Lovin' Spoonful, and cried.
    Very sorry to hear about that.

I hope there's some consolation in knowing that she's not suffering, and that you'll have the good memories to look back on.

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    I'm so sorry to hear that you lost someone you loved. She definitely had good taste tin music(Lovin Spoonful) and I hope next time you listen to them in memory of her, your memories of her bring a smile to your face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    I’m sorry for your loss but happy she was able to go to a state where they care more about human suffering than religion and she was allowed to die with dignity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    (sorry, I started writing this before some of the more touching comments above has been posted, My attempt at humor is quite in-apropos - so sorry to hear about your very real losses)
    Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Very sorry to hear about that.

I hope there's some consolation in knowing that she's not suffering, and that you'll have the good memories to look back on.
    Thanks, guys, I really appreciate this.

For me, this is all a huge trigger. Unlike most of the people who are posting about hypotheticals, two of us suffered recent profound losses. In my case, music was involved, even if only of the nursery song variety. And I have training as a bioethicist, so the discussion about euthanasia (active or passive), physician-assisted suicide, and withdrawal of care are not hypothetical at all. But I have to say, it sure was, until... The extended family left the PICU room toward the end of my granddaughter's life so only my son and daughter-in-law were there. I do not know- and I never, ever want to know- if they withdrew life support or not. I will only say it gave me pause to think about what I want when I die- I already had an advanced directive with regard to care (no heroic efforts for me). And because music is so important to me, I want it used to celebrate my passing. Morbid or not, I want to be cremated, and I want to be placed into the ground at each of my kids' homes, so they know I am always there, even after I go. And it will be Magma they play, even though none of them like it, but it will for sure make them smile when they do- and that is what I want. My wife knows all this.

IMG_1317.jpg
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Quote Originally Posted by Dana5140 View Post
    And it will be Magma they play, even though none of them like it, but it will for sure make them smile when they do- and that is what I want. My wife knows all this.
    It's my party and I'll zeuhl if I want to.

(So sorry for your loss.)