Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New album by The Who

There needs to be one definitive collections with all the non album singles on it. Everything from I Can't Explain through to The Relay, at the very least, and including the long version of Magic Bus.
    There is: The Who Hits 50 which has almost all the A sides, certainly all three songs you mention. 'Relay' was indeed not an easy song to get on CD before that...its appearance on the 30 Years... box is marred by a stupid crossfade, as were other rare singles like 'Dogs'.

I agree that the two patchy early 80s albums would have made one strong album. But then you have other factors like the very slick production on Face Dances.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    (David Letterman mode) So it makes perfect sense that you're participating in this thread.
    I am a fan of music. I fully acknowledge Pete Townshend's genius. I think John Entwistle was a monster on bass and probably the best singer in the band. Conversely, I think Daltry is the most overrated singer in rock history and never bought into Moon's antics and goofy drumming style.

Plus, I am not shitting all over this thread like others might be inclined to do.
    The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I think the Who would be better served cleaning up the mess that is their entire catalog!
    I was thinking about this and it's clear that the chaos began with those Astley remixes. Before that all the original album mixes were on CD, a best-of would have the bigger non-album hits and those Rarities/Missing CDs had the non-album B sides and oddities. Seems so simple, in retrospect...and alas, long before I became a fan!

Daltrey is not writing songs for the new album. Townshend said one of the reasons for a new Who album is "It’s purely personal. It’s about my pride, my sense of self-worth and self-dignity as a writer.” There are 15 demos they are working on for the album.

Face Dances and It's Hard are fine albums to me. I didn't care for the production of Face Dances. Bill Szymcyk made it sound like an Eagles record. There are some great songs on both: Another Tricky Day, Don't Let Go the Coat, You, The Quiet One, How Do You Do It Alone, Cry if You Want, It's Your Turn, Cooks County, Eminence Front, I've Known No Way, Dangerous and so on.

I've never understood the dislike for Guitar and Pen. I think it's brilliant. All of this, IMHO, of course.

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I was thinking about this and it's clear that the chaos began with those Astley remixes. Before that all the original album mixes were on CD, a best-of would have the bigger non-album hits and those Rarities/Missing CDs had the non-album B sides and oddities. Seems so simple, in retrospect...and alas, long before I became a fan!
    I don't know what the point of letting Pete's freeloading brother-in-law (yeah, that's who Jon Astley is, Pete's now ex-brother-in-law, for the record the string arrangements on Love Is Coming Down and Had Enough were done by Jon's father, Ted Astley) do remixes was. What was wrong with the albums that he couldn't just leave it alone?!

There is: The Who Hits 50 which has almost all the A sides, certainly all three songs you mention. 'Relay' was indeed not an easy song to get on CD before that...its appearance on the 30 Years... box is marred by a stupid crossfade, as were other rare singles like 'Dogs'.
    Does it also have all the respective B-sides?
    Edit: apparently, no it doesn't. Checking a few of the Wikipedia entries for the single A-sides, I can see there's at least a few missing. Things like the Tommy Overture (which was on the See Me Feel Me single) don't matter, I'm talking non album stuff, and there seems to be a few missing here. When I said šll the singles", I was meaning B-sides too.
    Last edited by GuitarGeek; 01-19-2019 at 04:35 PM.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I guess I should have qualified my statement by declaring that I am not a fan of The Who, mainly because of Daltry.
    I'm not a huge fan but do like what I like. I've never had a problem with Daltrey as a singer. But I only listen to Who's Next as far as albums go. I have songs like Eminence Front, Don't Let Go The Coat, Who Are You and maybe a couple others on playlist rotation but ultimately lump The Who in with bands like The Doors, another highly influential band that has a few songs I like but never bought into their mythos.

Astley - what that bastard did to both Quadrophenia AND the 30 years box are crimes against humanity!

I'm a huge Who fan, I'm fine with Roger's vocals and while Moon's style is certainly idiosyncratic, it fit the band perfectly. He wasn't a time-keeper, he was part of the assault.

You know, I'm usually fine with bands evolving and changing their style, but Pete's withdrawal from writing "rock" songs was a bitter disappointment. I guess I can understand wanting to back off from the bombast. We all mellow as we get older. But Townshend truly lost some fire when he tried to be a more conventional songwriter. Things like "You Better" and "Athena" sounded like a Porsche being driven only in the first two gears. There's some brilliance on the solo albums but again, something is missing.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

You know, I'm usually fine with bands evolving and changing their style, but Pete's withdrawal from writing "rock" songs was a bitter disappointment. I guess I can understand wanting to back off from the bombast. We all mellow as we get older. But Townshend truly lost some fire when he tried to be a more conventional songwriter.
    Well, I suppose one can't control one's artistic impulses. I guess when he sat down at the piano or with a guitar, he wasn't writing many songs like Won't Get Fooled Again or I Can See For Miles anymore.
    Things like "You Better" and "Athena" sounded like a Porsche being driven only in the first two gears. .
    Interesting analogy. Kinda like one of those Top Gear things where James May is driving like a normal person, and Jeremy Clarkson is behind him, on a one lane road saying, "Get out of the way!".

And the thing was, when they did one of John's songs, we got things like The Quiet One, You, Dangerous and One At A Time, which demonstrated that the band was ready to rock when they had the right material.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Sorry, but I always considered "You Better You Bet" to be utterly terrible in every way.
    It was my girlfriend and my theme song at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Does it also have all the respective B-sides?
    Edit: apparently, no it doesn't. Checking a few of the Wikipedia entries for the single A-sides, I can see there's at least a few missing. Things like the Tommy Overture (which was on the See Me Feel Me single) don't matter, I'm talking non album stuff, and there seems to be a few missing here. When I said šll the singles", I was meaning B-sides too.
    I did actually say 'almost all the A sides'. I left no room for misinterpretation. But anyway:

https://www.discogs.com/The-Who-Maxi...lease/11079235

Things like "You Better" and "Athena" sounded like a Porsche being driven only in the first two gears. There's some brilliance on the solo albums but again, something is missing.
    I think 'You Better You Bet' was a good, commercial comeback single. 'Athena' is marred by that godawful 'she's a bomb!' hook.

There are good and bad Jon Astley remixes but even so, not one should ever have replaced the originals.

I think the sloppiest remix was Shel Talmy's 2002 stereo one for My Generation by Shel Talmy; just so many missing multi-track parts that this remix should have been no more than an 'extra'. Instead, that new stereo remix was front and centre of its reissue whilst only a few original mono tracks were included.
    Last edited by JJ88; 01-20-2019 at 12:39 AM.

'Athena' is marred by that godawful 'she's a bomb!' hook.
    THe first time I heard it on the radio, I thought the back up vocals were singing "She's a boy!". Talk about your mondegrens!

I think the story about the song's genesis is more interesting than the song itself. It was originally called Theresa, and was apparently inspired by actress Theresa Russell, who was then married to Nicholas Roeg, the movie director that Townshend was talking to about doing a film version of Lifehouse. He said he changed the title because he "had no intention of releasing a song called Theresa", presumably because it would have created an awkward situation, as certain people would be a little too aware of who the song was about.
    There are good and bad Jon Astley remixes but even so, not one should ever have replaced the originals.
    Well, I certainly agree that a remix should never replace the original mix, unless it a relatively subtle remix, as Tom Dowd did in the early 90's for Layla And Other Assorted Love Songs.

So out of curiosity, which remixes do you think Pete's now-former-brother-in-law got right?

Sorry if this has been posted before, but this long interview with Roger Daltrey about his recent book is fascinating: