Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast
Results 476 to 500 of 516

Thread: Avant-prog binge 2019

  1. #476
    Member Phlakaton's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    678
    Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    My latest RIO-related discovery (thanks Baribrotzer!) : TROOT

    https://troot.bandcamp.com/album/con...nd-the-waiting

    Some of you might have missed this when it was released (I certainly did) but it is excellent. keyboard driven chamber music slightly on the more accessibel side of avant-prog. It often reminds me a bit of far Corner.
    listening now - thanks mate! I dig.

  2. #477
    I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    5,292
    Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    My latest RIO-related discovery (thanks Baribrotzer!) : TROOT

    https://troot.bandcamp.com/album/con...nd-the-waiting

    Some of you might have missed this when it was released (I certainly did) but it is excellent. keyboard driven chamber music slightly on the more accessibel side of avant-prog. It often reminds me a bit of far Corner.
    We checked them out last year on PA for addition as RIO/Avant, they got approved but I'm still not hearing much avant, its complex chamber prog to me. Nice stuff.
    Ian

    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

  3. #478
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I'm still not hearing much avant, its complex chamber prog.
    B-but perhaps p-perplex chamber-avant?
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

  4. #479
    Member Phlakaton's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    678
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    B-but perhaps p-perplex chamber-avant?
    Tone - the guitar is a bit standard to me - but its solid - you kinda have to wait for those avant bits to show up.

  5. #480
    Member Kcrimso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Espoo, Finland
    Posts
    804
    Recently I have been enjoying Lindsay Cooper's stunning 1991 album Oh Moscow. Any other fans here? Or interesting insights about the project? I believe that this was a quite successful (for avant-stuff) concept and Cooper even had quite substantial tour with the material (Oh Moscow is live album but contains 100% new material).
    "A waste of talent and electricity." John Peel on ELP

  6. #481
    I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    5,292
    I do like Oh Moscow but have to be in the right mood, it comes off a bit 'show tunes' at times.
    Ian

    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

  7. #482
    Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    Recently I have been enjoying Lindsay Cooper's stunning 1991 album Oh Moscow. Any other fans here? Or interesting insights about the project? I believe that this was a quite successful (for avant-stuff) concept and Cooper even had quite substantial tour with the material (Oh Moscow is live album but contains 100% new material).
    One thing one needs to know about this project is that it was written and premiered long before the Berlin Wall came down (1987, I think) [the Victo performance on the album was on 8 October 1989, almost exactly one month before the wall came down]. I don't view the album as a 'live album' in the usual sense, i.e. as you point out this is a self-contained work that has no studio counterpart. It's only of Cooper's best-known post-Henry Cow albums, I guess partly because it had an interesting line-up that included Hugh Hopper, Marilyn Mazur, Phil Minton etc.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/
    Upcoming prog (& beyond) shows in France - http://www.bigbangmag.com/agenda.php
    Excerpts from interviews : https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...z9EvJjeuxQJ4x5

  8. #483
    Sales de Bano from Argentina nailed the thing in their latest https://buhrecords.bandcamp.com/albu...-a-del-v-nculo

    Check it out or I'll make you all pay with my Nursery Cryme croquet bat!
    Last edited by Zappathustra; 4 Weeks Ago at 06:22 AM.

  9. #484
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Portland, OR, USA
    Posts
    1,405
    Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    Sales de Bano from Argentina nailed the thing in their latest https://buhrecords.bandcamp.com/albu...-a-del-v-nculo
    Quite interesting. They describe themselves as: "Geometría del vínculo [Geometry of the bond], Sales de Baño’s third album, can be understood as an avant-garde jazz album which is also connected with the spirit of Rock in Opposition." But it doesn't sound to me like avant-jazz - it seems to be entirely through-composed, for starters. It comes far closer to an avant-classical chamber ensemble, perhaps in the vein of the Bang-on-a-Can All-Stars but working in a sort of intricate extended tonality rather than Minimalism..

    -

  10. #485
    Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    But it doesn't sound to me like avant-jazz - it seems to be entirely through-composed, for starters. It comes far closer to an avant-classical chamber ensemble, perhaps in the vein of the Bang-on-a-Can All-Stars but working in a sort of intricate extended tonality rather than Minimalism..

    -
    Basically - with just a few exceptions - you're right. I believe the jazz label refers to the arrangements mostly or to jazz which isn't really jazz (like Dolphy or Braxton maybe).

  11. #486
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Tübingen, Germany
    Posts
    12
    A very promising debut EP released on August 9, 2019 by Toboggan from Clermont Ferrand, France https://tobogganmusique.bandcamp.com/

    This new track doesn't appear on their EP so I want to believe that a full-length album is on the way:


  12. #487
    Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post

    Wtf, like.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

  13. #488
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Tübingen, Germany
    Posts
    12
    "Kua Fu" out of Polish RIO band Javva's debut LP/ CD "Balance Of Decay" that will be released on October 11, 2019.


  14. #489
    Member Kcrimso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Espoo, Finland
    Posts
    804
    Been listening recently U Totem and especially album Strange Attractors (1994) that I just got and it made me think what Dave Kerman has been up in few last years? What have I missed?
    "A waste of talent and electricity." John Peel on ELP

  15. #490
    Member thedunno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    875
    I know he is in this band that released a cd this year:
    https://davefromhollywood.com/

    Its a fun band but not really my cuppa.

  16. #491
    I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    5,292
    Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    Been listening recently U Totem and especially album Strange Attractors (1994) that I just got and it made me think what Dave Kerman has been up in few last years? What have I missed?
    He plays in the Swiss band Stepmother

    https://z6records.bandcamp.com/album/calvary-greetings

    He's playing with Bob Drake as a duo in October

    He played with Present at RIO in May

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PCHHi49UTE

    He plays with Dave From Hollywood

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghgWf35_ByA
    Ian

    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

  17. #492
    Casanova TCC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Costa Rica
    Posts
    1,565
    Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    Sales de Bano from Argentina nailed the thing in their latest https://buhrecords.bandcamp.com/albu...-a-del-v-nculo

    Check it out or I'll make you all pay with my Nursery Cryme croquet bat!
    Good call Zappa!.
    Other interesting projects of Colombian bassist, composer and improviser Carlos Quebrada (former member of Factor Burzaco) are:

    - El Último Boabdil
    YT:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhgEnoupxoc
    bc:
    https://matik-matik.bandcamp.com/alb...uas-vern-culas

    - Blanco Teta.
    YT:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaLNZOUnYGU
    bc:
    https://tvlrec.bandcamp.com/album/tvl-003-blanco-teta

    - Cabeza de Termo.
    YT:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tItZvKUd2dc
    bc:
    https://tvlrec.bandcamp.com/album/tv...rto-calificado

    - Nicotina es Primavera (lead by Peruvian flutist Camilo Ángeles)
    YT:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCXHdX8IXFo
    bc:
    https://nicotinaesprimavera.bandcamp.com/

    More:
    https://carlosquebrada.com/releases/
    Last edited by TCC; 4 Weeks Ago at 04:27 AM.

  18. #493
    Member Kcrimso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Espoo, Finland
    Posts
    804
    Thanks thedunno and NogbadTheBad! I will check out those Kerman projects. Present is only one of those that I was aware of.
    "A waste of talent and electricity." John Peel on ELP

  19. #494
    That's Mr. to you, Sir!! Trane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    in a cosmic jazzy-groove around Brussels
    Posts
    3,435
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

  20. #495
    Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    it made me think what Dave Kerman has been up in few last years? What have I missed?
    Did you hear the NIMBY release from 2005 - Yeah I know; not from "the last few years", perhaps… But still. It isn't really "avant-prog" at all either, rather refined, satirical indie whimsy but from old timers Grigsby (MTG/U Totem), Drake, Kerman and that dude from Giant Ant Farm.

    I listened again a few weeks back, and it's a good listen.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

  21. #496
    Member Kcrimso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Espoo, Finland
    Posts
    804
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Did you hear the NIMBY release from 2005 - Yeah I know; not from "the last few years", perhaps… But still. It isn't really "avant-prog" at all either, rather refined, satirical indie whimsy but from old timers Grigsby (MTG/U Totem), Drake, Kerman and that dude from Giant Ant Farm.

    I listened again a few weeks back, and it's a good listen.
    Nope I am not familiar with that album. Hmm. it is available in ReR very cheaply...
    "A waste of talent and electricity." John Peel on ELP

  22. #497
    Casanova TCC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Costa Rica
    Posts
    1,565
    Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Fino!!
    👌🏼

  23. #498
    Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    Nope I am not familiar with that album. Hmm. it is available in ReR very cheaply...
    It was a fun album, good tunes from James. Done quickly with "live" rhythm section then overdubs. You can hear a couple of songs from it here:
    http://www.bdrak.com/sounds/others/nimby.htm

  24. #499
    I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    5,292
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Did you hear the NIMBY release from 2005 - Yeah I know; not from "the last few years", perhaps… But still. It isn't really "avant-prog" at all either, rather refined, satirical indie whimsy but from old timers Grigsby (MTG/U Totem), Drake, Kerman and that dude from Giant Ant Farm.

    I listened again a few weeks back, and it's a good listen.
    On wayside for the princely sum of $4!!
    Ian

    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

  25. #500
    ^ Even WITHOUT a prog award?!!
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •