Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819

Thread: Avant-prog binge 2019

Thanks SS and alanterrill! I will definitely check out the debut album also!
    "A waste of talent and electricity." John Peel on ELP

^ Knowing myself fairly well, chances are imminent that I'll be spinning the whole thing (Onze Dances) during weekend drinks sometime very, very soon. Only to show that this album is seriously addictive and difficult to remove from the turntable once it's there.

Perhaps Bandits as well, although it's less fun and more terrifying.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Put together a 2 hour Spotify playlist including songs from every Rascal Reporters studio album, in chronological order, from 1976 up to today, a good introduction for those unfamiliar! https://open.spotify.com/user/116612...QWWuy0RU9RsD0w

Received new cd Echoes Of Henry Cow by Michel Edelin Quintet today. I did not expect as "pure" jazz as this but no problem, I like it!

Orange Tick Squasher Buddhabreath's Avatar
    ^^^
    Hmmmm, still waiting for mine. I was hoping for strange, twisted, escoteric, adulterated, filthy distorted (Henry) cow-pie jazz... sounds a bit disappointing.
    The combined fortunes of the world's 26 richest individuals reached $1.4 trillion last year — the same amount as the total wealth of the 3.8 billion poorest people.

^ I was somehow under the impression that this was the very point of it; to convert the material into something of a completely opposite, set standard. I bit like the Delta Saxophone Quattet's rendition of Hugh Hopper's work.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    Received new cd Echoes Of Henry Cow by Michel Edelin Quintet today. I did not expect as "pure" jazz as this but no problem, I like it!
    Nice!.

“This album should in no way be mistaken for a "tribute" to Henry Cow, let alone a faithful recreation, in spirit and/or letter, of their music, rather – and this is how the title chose by Michel Édelin should be understood - its echoes (much transformed during its long journey through time, space, memory and the mysterious twists and turns of the creative process) in his own musical inner world. Aymeric Leroy, excerpts from the liner notes”

From YT:
    - Extracts:
    https://youtu.be/9_07ii8C7YY

- “Half the Sky - live”
    https://youtu.be/mV11t7lxudw

I’m in!!.

Regards!.

Orange Tick Squasher Buddhabreath's Avatar
    I get it. I guess it was yet another failed attempt at humor on my part. I'm looking forward to it. thanks for the links, I don't think I've seen anyone do the double-clarinet thing before.
    The combined fortunes of the world's 26 richest individuals reached $1.4 trillion last year — the same amount as the total wealth of the 3.8 billion poorest people.

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    dan wiess

Fantastic stuff - I've seen them live and they kick ass. In its all-star Downtown NYC line-up, it's a bit like a John Zorn project - but it doesn't sound quite like Zorn, and as far as I know he's not involved in it all.

It has nothing to do with JZ and I don't think it sounds like anything JZ does.

I saw them live as well, and I agree they are great.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"You run a great label, but sometimes you go out of your way to be a jerk." - Jed Levin

"The older I get, the more I realize that cynicism is just realism spelled wrong."

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I got debut album Man Of Monkey by Cassiber (Chris Cutler plays in this) today. Interesting stuff. Kind of Henry Cow meets Talking Heads sounding. Well not really but...

Any insights on this band? What other albums of Cassiber are recommended?

Any insights on this band? What other albums of Cassiber are recommended?
    First: I hear little-to-no likeness to HC, except of course for Cutler's drumming. Cassiber was the outcome of improvisational encounters between him, Alfred Harth and Heiner Goebbels, the latter now one of Europe's foremost composers for theatre and a multi-award winning capacity at that. I know of no other "rock musician" who reached as high a level of formal academic achievement in art-musics as Goebbels.

Man or Monkey was their (double) debut, and it's astoundingly 100% improvised. Which is almost impossible to believe when you listen to that thing. One of my fave albums from the early 80s. The Beauty and the Beast is fairly good, but it lacks some of the spark from the debut - IMO. Perfect Worlds consists of written sketches, some of them rather tightly knit, making for a somewhat bizarre journey into Beefheart-meets-Goebbels territory - if you don't mind the pun. I think it's a great one. A Face We All Know and Live In Tokyo are interesting, but not rewarding in terms of immediate listening to me; too much cerebral contemplation on ideas that are somewhat left to wither.

Get Perfect Worlds next.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post

Get Perfect Worlds next.
    I will. Thanks

Any recommendations on mr. Goebbels' other works?

Any recommendations on mr. Goebbels' other works?
    His discography is massive, but only parts of it are recorded/released; he's a fully established contemporary composer whose works are basically performed all over the globe these days. He was here in Norway some seven years back after receiving the highly prodigious International Ibsen Award, and I remember Morgenbladet - a seriously entailed culture paper - wrote about the difficulty of listing Goebbels' roster. Surrogate Cities is one of his earlier ensemble works and a highly fascinating concept, as is his commission for Ensemble Modern, Eislermaterial from the early 2000s. The Italian Concerto presents several of his most frequently performed pieces in a dense programme and is a must-hear - but none of this is "rock" music.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    His discography is massive, but only parts of it are recorded/released; he's a fully established contemporary composer whose works are basically performed all over the globe these days. He was here in Norway some seven years back after receiving the highly prodigious International Ibsen Award, and I remember Morgenbladet - a seriously entailed culture paper - wrote about the difficulty of listing Goebbels' roster. Surrogate Cities is one of his earlier ensemble works and a highly fascinating concept, as is his commission for Ensemble Modern, Eislermaterial from the early 2000s. The Italian Concerto presents several of his most frequently performed pieces in a dense programme and is a must-hear - but none of this is "rock" music.
    Thank you! I have to take a look of those works you mentioned. Sounds very interesting. I also listen to non-"rock" -music

My latest RIO-related discovery (thanks Baribrotzer!) : TROOT

https://troot.bandcamp.com/album/con...nd-the-waiting

Some of you might have missed this when it was released (I certainly did) but it is excellent. keyboard driven chamber music slightly on the more accessibel side of avant-prog. It often reminds me a bit of far Corner.

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    My latest RIO-related discovery (thanks Baribrotzer!) : TROOT

https://troot.bandcamp.com/album/con...nd-the-waiting

Some of you might have missed this when it was released (I certainly did) but it is excellent. keyboard driven chamber music slightly on the more accessibel side of avant-prog. It often reminds me a bit of far Corner.
    In my case, last night by Zeuhlmate's H.U. and agree with you dunno!.

Cheers,
    Tomás.
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

The new album by French band Loomings is quite interesting and entertaining:
    https://loomings.bandcamp.com/album/hey-weirdo

A much better and more focused album then their debut "everyday mythodology" imho.
    Certainly worth a listen. The first track 'slap' is the only track I do not like much so maybe not start there.

Here's the title track

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    The new album by French band Loomings is quite interesting and entertaining:
    https://loomings.bandcamp.com/album/hey-weirdo

A much better and more focused album then their debut "everyday mythodology" imho.
    Certainly worth a listen. The first track 'slap' is the only track I do not like much so maybe not start there.

Here's the title track
    Good call - listening to it now. The first thing that came to mind was "ok, they're doing this kind of music out of France too". Until I noticed they're French...

Universal Totem Orchestra - Rituale Alieno & The Magus
    I can't love this band any more than I do.