Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Avant-prog binge 2019

Listening to Thinking Plague - Decline and Fall
    KC - Live In Toronto

I like me some avantprog but reading through this discussion I feel such a nitwit. I have never heared of about half of the acts discussed here.

I chose my forumname for good reason.

Listened today to Fred Frith trio - Closer to the Ground, released some half year ago with the participation of two Jack O' The Clock members, and I was most pleasantly surprised. The guy still goes strong after half a century of activity! A beautiful narrative of experimental, atmospheric, jazzy, psychedelic sound-scapes that teases the imagination of the listener. I don't remember seeing any reference in PE of this. What's going on? We don't like this or it fell under the radar for some mysterious reason?

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    Listened today to Fred Frith trio - Closer to the Ground, released some half year ago with the participation of two Jack O' The Clock members, and I was most pleasantly surprised. The guy still goes strong after half a century of activity! A beautiful narrative of experimental, atmospheric, jazzy, psychedelic sound-scapes that teases the imagination of the listener. I don't remember seeing any reference in PE of this. What's going on? We don't like this or it fell under the radar for some mysterious reason?
    I also liked the one and it was on my "bubbling under" -list on the Best of 2018 thread.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Listened today to Fred Frith trio - Closer to the Ground, released some half year ago with the participation of two Jack O' The Clock members, and I was most pleasantly surprised. […] I don't remember seeing any reference in PE of this. What's going on?
    "What's going on?"? What's going ON?!

I'll TELL you what's going ON, Don! We don't WANNA this avanta! Stop it, Santa! Here's what's on, Don!
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Hello Gang!.

Tonight's menu:

- Honduras Libregrupo - La Única Posición es la Oposición.
    - Factor Burzaco - II.
    - Helmut Róbot en Kowloon ... Ciudad amurallada.

Regards.!
    Last edited by TCC; 03-02-2019 at 12:02 AM.
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    "What's going on?"? What's going ON?!

I'll TELL you what's going ON, Don! We don't WANNA this avanta! Stop it, Santa! Here's what's on, Don!
    Zappa Plays Zappa plays the guitar solo on this one - OOOOOHHHH YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by TCC View Post
    Hello Gang!.

Tonight's menu:

- Honduras Libregrupo - La Única Posición es la Oposición.
    - Factor Burzaco - II.
    - Helmut Róbot en Kowloon ... Ciudad amurallada.

Regards.!
    Helmut Róbot, an argentinean quartet, is a friend's recommendation: I'm digging it!.

"Kowloon … Ciudad amurallada" - (2016) it's a conceptual work:
    "This bizarre group presents its second conceptual work, based on a futuristic story very much in the style of "B" movies from the fifties and the 60’s. Their music is delirious: a rare mixture between extreme Rock In Opposition (such as Sleepytime Gorillas Museum), the circus-craziness of Mr. Bungle and the typical "B" Movies' music from those years."

https://viajeroinmovilrecords.bandca...murallada-2016

Recommended!.

Last edited by TCC; 03-02-2019 at 12:03 AM.
    Pura Vida!.

Duke Ellington.

Quote Originally Posted by TCC View Post
    Helmut Róbot, an argentinean quartet, is a friend's recommendation: I'm digging it!.
    I'm listening on Bandcamp and enjoying it myself.

However......

If you absolutely loved Mr. Bungle, and particularly their California album, and particularly the track "None of Them Knew They Were Robots," then this would be the album for you. It sounds like the sound-world of that one track expanded into a whole 45~minute record. Sure there are differences: Some passages don't sound exactly like something Mr. B. would do, the singer isn't as naturally gifted as Mike Patton (though he tries hard), the vocals are in Spanish, the music doesn't have quite as many stylistic jump-cuts, and so on. But they took a whole lot of influence from that one place, and you can tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    I'm listening on Bandcamp and enjoying it myself.

However......

If you absolutely loved Mr. Bungle, and particularly their California album, and particularly the track "None of Them Knew They Were Robots," then this would be the album for you. It sounds like the sound-world of that one track expanded into a whole 45~minute record. Sure there are differences: Some passages don't sound exactly like something Mr. B. would do, the singer isn't as naturally gifted as Mike Patton (though he tries hard), the vocals are in Spanish, the music doesn't have quite as many stylistic jump-cuts, and so on. But they took a whole lot of influence from that one place, and you can tell.
    John, thanks for your observation!.

TBH, I only have a "homemade" compilation of Mr. Bungle that I liked a lot back in the day, I don´t remember if that song is in it; anyway, I like and appreciate all the projects that Patton is involved in, but, somehow, Mr. Bungle is one that I have not dedicated the time it deserves ... time for an upgrade/exploration.

I see that Mr Bungle have 3 Albums:
    - Mr. Bungle (1991)
    - Disco Volante (1995)
    - California (1999)

Thanks!.
    Pura Vida!.

Duke Ellington.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    OOOOOHHHH YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Yeahyeahyeah. But how can I rejoyce on a day when the truth of the matter comes out that ARW are TOAST!!???
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Yeahyeahyeah. But how can I rejoyce on a day when the truth of the matter comes out that ARW are TOAST!!???
    Donning my leather jerkin I ventured out into the dank early evening chill and collapsed on a moist grassy hillock and wept. I wept tears of long cherished memories, I wept tears of the denial of experiencing musical paths unknown, now lost to the ages...gone....gone.

And yes...I wept tears of what once was, that now will never be...oh god...oh god...how I grieve for ARW

please...help me find my flower king...my spocks beard...why dont you touch me..........

sadly
    michael

p.s. Whose ARW again?
    If it ain't acousmatique-It's crap

That's weird. I thought ARW was a band, but it is actually toast.

^ The band converted into toast as a marketing strategy, but nonetheless they're still to be had at the mall barbecue.

ARW was good, but RAW and WAR are even better.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick L. View Post
    That's weird. I thought ARW was a band, but it is actually toast.
    I thought it was a multi-media presentation for "Talk Like a Pirate Day."

I'd like to propose an ARW.

^ The band converted into toast as a marketing strategy, but nonetheless they're still to be had at the mall barbecue.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Any of you guys aware of Wyxz from NY State? Not bad brutal prog.

https://wyxz.bandcamp.com/album/yiy
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Any of you guys aware of Wyxz from NY State? Not bad brutal prog.

https://wyxz.bandcamp.com/album/yiy
    Well, you have my attention.

I confirm the Science Group - A Mere Coincidence kills. I love Amy Denio's voice, I just do. Some very tasty Balkan rhythms in places. I get a strong 5uu vibe from this recording, of course it's Bob in there, but also the use of keyboards, even the sound of the drums (blasphemer!).

Anyway it has become a favorite of mine. I can't tell about Spoors, haven't listened to it yet.

I confirm the Science Group - A Mere Coincidence kills. I love Amy Denio's voice, I just do. Some very tasty Balkan rhythms in places. I get a strong 5uu vibe from this recording, of course it's Bob in there, but also the use of keyboards, even the sound of the drums (blasphemer!).

Anyway it has become a favorite of mine. I can't tell about Spoors, haven't listened to it yet.
    Spoors doesn't have any vocals. Still pretty good stuff, though it has been years since I listened to it. Probably I should rectify that.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

This slays, y'all need to get it:

https://theflyingluttenbachers.bandc...ered-dimension

If there's a better album in the "brutal prog" arena this year - well, it'll have to be something pretty f'ing amazing.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    This slays, y'all need to get it:

https://theflyingluttenbachers.bandc...ered-dimension

If there's a better album in the "brutal prog" arena this year - well, it'll have to be something pretty f'ing amazing.
    I am scared...

I am scared...
    But you know you like it.