Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: NEARFest 20th Anniversary

NEARFest 20th Anniversary

Hey Rob and Chad.

How bout it? One more shot?

I will go..

Not gonna happen. In addition to all the personal considerations, the market has changed so much that it is no longer feasible and would only work - if at all - as a big party of folks who used to go.

In which case, interested folks can just have a party; expenses are much lower for a party....
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    As one of the 425 or so there in '99, I'll always have memories. ( I hope...turning 60 this year...)

has it been that long already? why yes. I remember planning the first event with Chad with my two year old Tony in tow. He's now 22...

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Not gonna happen. In addition to all the personal considerations, the market has changed so much that it is no longer feasible and would only work - if at all - as a big party of folks who used to go.

In which case, interested folks can just have a party; expenses are much lower for a party....
    Not to mention that the planning for the event would have had to be underway long before now, if you were aiming for a festival season 2019 date.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Personally (and realistically) I'd be happy to hear reminiscences from those who where there, since if would be a few years until I was able to attend a NEARfest. But I love reading about them.

There is a lot more competition now and less attractive prog acts to promote.
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Quote Originally Posted by nearfest View Post
    has it been that long already? why yes. I remember planning the first event with Chad with my two year old Tony in tow. He's now 22...
    I noticed you didn’t say no.

#alltrapsonearth
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

^^^^^

Rob, Cozy is daring you to say ‘no’....
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

also, All Traps On Earth is very good and it’s also NOT a band.......
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    As one of the 425 or so there in '99, I'll always have memories. ( I hope...turning 60 this year...)
    I was there too. Amazing time as were all of the NEARfests.

I didn't get to go to the first one, but I went to everyone from 2000 through 2009, and I'm still pissed I missed the last two. Saw lots of great bands, got turned onto quite a few I'd never heard before, and had some good times at NEARfest.

Thanks, Rob and Chad!

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Congrats!! I'd go.

As Joni Mitchell once said “you don’t know what you’ve got ‘till it’s gone”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chad has a nice big backyard. Just sayin’...

Still have my t shirt from the first one.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Ok, here's your official "no." No, NEARfest is not returning. However, the sentiments are greatly appreciated. It was a very special event and to this day Rob and I are still in awe of the support we received over the lifetime of the festival.

Steve (F.) touched on it accurately. The landscape has changed. Today, it would cost us significantly more money to put on the same type of show that we did seven years ago. Some of that it due to not being able to leverage the visa waiver program like we used to. Our former non-profit status would not save us the fees for visas from US-friendly countries anymore. And, if we wanted to guarantee quick processing, the fee is tripled.

Besides all the tangible reasons for not bringing it back, it just wouldn't feel the same. I think we would all have a good time, but in the end the sentiment would not be what it used to be. NEARfest "caught lightning in a bottle" (as Steve likes to say). We struck at the right time, I suppose, and with that idea, NEARfest should left in its rightful place in the history of Progressive Rock and not return.

Please share your stories. We are happy to do the same. Additionally, if anyone has questions about NEARfest that you never got a chance to ask, please do. We are happy to answer them!
    Chad

It's kinda like Gentle Giant. Best left as a memory. A very good one!

Quote Originally Posted by adap2it View Post
    There is a lot more competition now and B]less attractive prog[/B] acts to promote.
    More competition for sure. As such it's really nice to be able to live in Oslo, where we can harbour an event like 'Close to the Rain' (last September) seeing nine Norwegian acts on stage, with some 250 people coming and going right in/out from the street over the course of two nights and discovering brand new names with merely faint reminiscence of those 6-7 allegedly "defining prog bands" from almost half-a-century back.

You gotta ride around in the backseat of a limo to live here, of course.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I'll never forget '99 in the heat! Great time! Still have the T-shirt and program. One of them still had the Hand Farm printed on it.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    More competition for sure.
    FWIW, competition really came into play much. The most effect I'd say it had was that we would avoid booking the same bands as other shows if possible. We never said "Oh, we need a better headliner because so-and-so fest signed Band X". We did what we did and stayed true to our vision. We always had such a different model than all the other festivals. Sure, there are the cruises now, but I'm not so sure that would be a big factor. They are a whole different animal, plus we had solid footing in the scene well before they appeared.
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    FWIW, competition really came into play much. The most effect I'd say it had was that we would avoid booking the same bands as other shows if possible. We never said "Oh, we need a better headliner because so-and-so fest signed Band X". We did what we did and stayed true to our vision. We always had such a different model than all the other festivals. Sure, there are the cruises now, but I'm not so sure that would be a big factor. They are a whole different animal, plus we had solid footing in the scene well before they appeared.
    The headliners were never a make or break for me personally. Did you feel as though most people found them to be? I know we could point to the penultimate festival as the example. Maybe for those travelling a great distance and spending a lot of money on extras like food, hotel and transportation it was the deal maker, but since I lived close it didn't matter as much for me.

There's always this event.

nearfest.jpg
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"