Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Flower Kings - 2018 recap and look ahead to 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    The show last night in Montreal was great. Solid set and everyone seemed in fine form. I believe it may be the same set they were doing a few months ago but I haven't had time to check.

This is last night's setlist:

Last Minute On Earth
    What If God Is Alone
    There Is More To This World
    The Truth Will Set You Free (with bass solo)
    The Flower King
    My Cosmic Lover
    Eyes Of The World
    Stardust We Are

Encore:

Life In Motion (excerpt from the ending)
    I Am The Sun

Hopefully I didn't miss anything. I was enjoying several whiskeys, lol. The set was approximately 2 hours long.

Leaving soon to see the QC show...
    Their set was shorter a few months ago because they shared the stage with Spock's Beard, so they played 75 minutes max. In Paris they played the first 4 tracks from your setlist, followed by Stardust, and I believe it was mostly the same setlist for that tour.
    Not just a Genesis fanboy.

Good choice of encores. Glad Roine thinks it worth revisiting at least one track from The Sum of No Evil.

Another great show last night in QC and it was the same set. For the Montreal show we were way in the back hanging out in the bar. Last night we were just a few rows back on stage left. From this vantage point it was easy to see how much fun the band was having. Roine seemed to talk more at these two shows than I recall seeing at past shows. Maybe he's just feeling thankful he can still do what he loves in a place where his music is appreciated.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    Good choice of encores. Glad Roine thinks it worth revisiting at least one track from The Sum of No Evil.
    I thought the same thing.

It seems that The Sum of No Evil is a bit underrated, IMO. That was probably my favorite CD by TFK.

My very first Flower Kings show and it was an excellent show! I am not going into the set list since it has already been posted; the fans started lining up around half an hour before the doors opened, we all entered in orderly Canadian fashion, checked our coats and stormed to the front of the stage. My son and I nabbed a table 6 feet from stage left (Jonas' side). No merchandise what so ever nor did they sign anything but I did see some fans with their vinyl albums, my only regret.
    The show started at 8:00 sharp with the native chant announcing Last Minute on Earth. Like another fan said although I had never seen the FK live, Roine Stolt was very talkative. Roine welcomed everyone and did stress the fact that they would be playing mostly classic "old" songs which was fine with the fans who by the way I estimate a small crowd of 200 tops. Before the Eyes of the world Roine told the story how Hasse Froberg got into the Band and how he transitioned into playing guitar but mostly because he can hit the high notes "I can't" as Roine said. Also chatted about the FK taking time off while Jonas played bass with Steve Hackett and "so did I" he said jokingly and added "maybe all of the band members could play bass for Steve" and introduced of course Jonas, italian drummer Mirko Demaio and on keys the american Zach Kamins. And ended one of his chats saying "we take two year breaks, something the Beatles never did". So at the end Roine asked for any requests and "Stardust" was pretty much a given. Duration about 110 minutes with encore.

Hope you like these I took with S9 plus

The Flower Kings in Montreal 1c.jpg
    The Flower Kings in Montreal 1b.jpg
    The Flower Kings in Montreal 1a.jpg
    The Flower Kings in Montreal 1d.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Rajaz View Post
    My very first Flower Kings show and it was an excellent show! I am not going into the set list since it has already been posted; the fans started lining up around half an hour before the doors opened, we all entered in orderly Canadian fashion, checked our coats and stormed to the front of the stage. My son and I nabbed a table 6 feet from stage left (Jonas' side). No merchandise what so ever nor did they sign anything but I did see some fans with their vinyl albums, my only regret.
    The show started at 8:00 sharp with the native chant announcing Last Minute on Earth. Like another fan said although I had never seen the FK live, Roine Stolt was very talkative. Roine welcomed everyone and did stress the fact that they would be playing mostly classic "old" songs which was fine with the fans who by the way I estimate a small crowd of 200 tops. Before the Eyes of the world Roine told the story how Hasse Froberg got into the Band and how he transitioned into playing guitar but mostly because he can hit the high notes "I can't" as Roine said. Also chatted about the FK taking time off while Jonas played bass with Steve Hackett and "so did I" he said jokingly and added "maybe all of the band members could play bass for Steve" and introduced of course Jonas, italian drummer Mirko Demaio and on keys the american Zach Kamins. And ended one of his chats saying "we take two year breaks, something the Beatles never did". So at the end Roine asked for any requests and "Stardust" was pretty much a given. Duration about 110 minutes with encore.

Yes, that was a pretty funny moment when Roine suggested the other band members could also take their turns on bass in Steve Hackett's band. Jonas told a pretty funny (but not politically correct) joke in QC, but I won't repeat it here, lol.

There was some merchandise for sale, but no TFK music. Only two albums by An Endless Sporadic. I picked up "Magic Machine". I'm only about halfway through it but it's pretty good. I wish I'd picked up the other one as well.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    I thought the same thing.

It seems that The Sum of No Evil is a bit underrated, IMO. That was probably my favorite CD by TFK.
    I love the first two tracks, and of course track 2 is about 24 minutes long I think. Those are like classic Flower Kings, complex and melodic. After that I didn't connect so much for some reason, until the last track 'Life in Motion', which I enjoy. I'm not big on 'Last Minute on Earth', but the rest of the setlist is stellar.

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    I love the first two tracks, and of course track 2 is about 24 minutes long I think. Those are like classic Flower Kings, complex and melodic. After that I didn't connect so much for some reason, until the last track 'Life in Motion', which I enjoy. I'm not big on 'Last Minute on Earth', but the rest of the setlist is stellar.
    Those were the tracks I liked most. The others took me some time to get to grips with, but I like them all now.

A couple of clips from the QC show

What If God Is Alone:

Stardust We Are excerpt:

<sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    I love the first two tracks, and of course track 2 is about 24 minutes long I think. Those are like classic Flower Kings, complex and melodic. After that I didn't connect so much for some reason, until the last track 'Life in Motion', which I enjoy.
    Well that's 50 minutes right there. A great classic album! If you still need to fill it out, add "The River" and "Regal Divers" from the bonus disc. They fit alongside those three tracks you picked perfectly!

Something is happening in Flower Kings world.

Anyone else following on Facebook has seen pictures of Roine, Jonas, Zach, MirkKo in the studio. And this looks like recording not just rehearsals for the shows they have coming up. The buzz seems to be that it is a new Flower Kings album. I think there is also an outside possibility that this could be recording for Anderson/Stolt 2. We haven't (yet) seen Hasse in these sessions and Michael Stolt was also there (so not just Jonas on bass).

We shall see - exciting times!

Quote Originally Posted by SRS View Post
    Something is happening in Flower Kings world.

Anyone else following on Facebook has seen pictures of Roine, Jonas, Zach, MirkKo in the studio. And this looks like recording not just rehearsals for the shows they have coming up. The buzz seems to be that it is a new Flower Kings album. I think there is also an outside possibility that this could be recording for Anderson/Stolt 2. We haven't (yet) seen Hasse in these sessions and Michael Stolt was also there (so not just Jonas on bass).

We shall see - exciting times!
    Thanks for this info. I'm not on Facebook these days and was wondering if there was anything in the works.
    <sig out of order>

Very interesting. Thanks for posting those pics! As you say, could be either Flower Kings or Anderson/Stolt 2. My money is on the latter if I had to bet.
    <sig out of order>

In the meantime, here's the cover of the new Hasse Fröberg & Musical Companion album, released this coming August 29:

Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    In the meantime, here's the cover of the new Hasse Fröberg & Musical Companion album, released this coming August 29:
    Ed Unitsky

I'd say Cream and Bruford to that.....

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Super groups never wind up being as super as the name suggests.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by arabicadabra View Post
    I'd say Cream and Bruford to that.....
    I'd say UK.

Roine's makin' music, and that's a good thing!
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Looks like the photos above were from a Flower Kings recording session, according to commentary I saw a few days ago on Facebook. I guess the lineup changes are pretty much real now.
    <sig out of order>

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post

How are we supposed to know it's prog?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post

Edit: Actually, we do that by debating it for the millionth time here on PE.
    <sig out of order>

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post

Edit: Actually, we do that by debating it for the millionth time here on PE.
    It's hard to know because there's no unicorn or rainbow in the cover art.