Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Canterbury Binge 2018-2019

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post

But still I prefer Rock Bottom, Ruth is Stranger than Richard. And Shleeep.
    As I do. But that does not mean that Old Rottenhat is bad.
    "A waste of talent and electricity." John Peel on ELP

Listened to Fernando Farao's Artchipel Orchestra : Never Odd Or Even (2012) featuring Phil Miller. Great big band arrangements of Canterbury tracks among them compositions by Alan Gowen,(to whom the CD is dedicated) Dave Stewart, Fred Frith and Mike Westbrook and one Farao composition dedicated to Pip Pyle. The Artchipel Orchestra relased also a record with Soft Machine tracks from 2014 and a record with Lindsay Cooper tracks featuring Chris Cutler on drums.

Re-re listened to Never Odd or Even, lots of details to get on repeated listening. The 4 singers are mixed a bit in the background ( apart from the three Westbroock songs) but give a nice texture like the Northerettes. The extended Phil Miller solo on Shining Water is stunning.

Relistened also to the Artchipel Orchestra plays Soft Machine, 5 Hopper compositions ( Facelift, Kings and Queens, Noisette, Mousetrap & Dedicated...) and Moon In June. More and more in awe of Hopper's compositions. Nice idea to having added an Emily Dickinson poem to the great melody of Kings and Queens

Both records are great.

Extract from Arriving Twice (Never Odd Or Even)

Last edited by alucard; 02-09-2019 at 06:16 AM.
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

Banned
    What can be interesting enough to post after fourteen pages of this thread, and being - without strictly careful checking of each post on the thread - (almost) sure that the others haven't already posted the same track? The choice doesn't seem so huge. But, here are some young Canterburians - I mean, the real inhabitants of Canterbury town in Kent, England - who play jazz-rock in a style like their own countrymen played forty years ago. 'L'apperaill Doux' is a really pleasant track from their s/t EP released in 2012. I hope that The Boot Lagoon will release more amazing stuff like this.

Banned
    Jon Samsworth is another contemporary, "small" and "obscure" act from South East England (btw, isn't a 'Canterbury' thing more sweet when it is - at least slightly - "small and obscure"?)
    'The Monument' is a very English, fine & dandy track from Mr Samsworth's debut EP entitled 'Without Words' and released a year ago as a 'name your price' online release on Bandcamp.

Regarding his music, I can only to agree with these comments from Jon Samsworth's bandcamp page:

Sven B. Schreiber The only criticism I can address to this release is its running time... those 14 minutes and 34 seconds are over much too fast! Besides that, it's a real killer EP, bursting with overwhelming creativity and a heap of unexpected ideas. This masterpiece needs continuation, by all means!
    "Adventurous ... I recommend very highly indeed" - Tom Robinson, BBC Radio 6 Music.

Everything old is new again.

Banned
    "Invisible EP" by Liverpool's Loka with Julius Vanderbilt will be officially released tomorrow, at April 1st, 2019.

https://juliusvanderbilt.bandcamp.co...m/invisible-ep

Banned
    Scottish "Canterburians" Big Hogg play live their pleasant song 'Duke of Shakespeare Street' in a Glasgow's club and evoke sweet memories on the real Canterburians from the Early Seventies like Caravan and such:

The studio version of the song can be heard at their s/t debut LP from 2015: https://bighogg.bandcamp.com/album/big-hogg

Banned
    Another "Canterburian" is hailing from beautiful Devonshire! Billie Bottle & The Multiple is one-man band that is keen to evoke the magical sound of Phil Miller, Robert Wyatt and the others heroes of legendary & mythical Canterbury scene. So if you're a "Canterburian" too, I'm quite sure that you'll enjoy in his newly released 3-tracks EP entitled 'Grazie Miller'.

https://billiebottle.bandcamp.com/album/grazie-miller

Oh and the guest on his EP is David Faulkner who plays English bagpipes on above posted 'I Remain' the song!

Richard Sinclair performing Winter Wine and some other songs from In The Land Of Grey And Pink at Jazz & Wine Of Peace 2018
    Castello Di Gorizia:

just listening to Richard Sinclair's R.S.V.P. there, some great great stuff!

Just been listening to that self-titled debut by The Winstons (from Italy), and man they really sound like Vol. 2-era Soft Machine to my ears. This whole disc is great!

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Just been listening to that self-titled debut by The Winstons (from Italy), and man they really sound like Vol. 2-era Soft Machine to my ears. This whole disc is great!
    Yes, it is. The new one is pretty cool too (less prog-Canterbury but lots of Ayers-psych vibes)

The first Hatfields this morning - Shaving is Boring is a canterburian landmark for me. It somehow encapsulates all the disparate elements of Canterbury sound, and maybe even more: this space-psychedelic midsection is a unique direction that was never followed, like an evolution of early Floyd sound. (is it in 7/8, or am I blowing it again?)

Was listening to this album today, and it hit me -- this song really reminds me of Egg circa The Polite Force.

What do you guys think? Am I crazy?

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Was listening to this album today, and it hit me -- this song really reminds me of Egg circa The Polite Force.

What do you guys think? Am I crazy?
    No - the beginning and end are very Egg like, but the improvisation in the middle is more traditionally jazzy than Dave Stewart ever was. Damned fine playing though, I'll have to listen further.

From Phil Miller-Fred Baker duo cd-Double Up

The track doesn't end at the fade at 4:00, stay with it.It's a great track,imo.

"please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

I had my device on shuffle for this morning's commute and NH's Elephants came galumphing out of my headphones. Making me feel like a cat that has been given a very large tin of sardines.

This evening's commute is being devoted to a NH mini-binge!
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Oh dear, he's really molesting his organ now. How beastly.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    I had my device on shuffle for this morning's commute and NH's Elephants came galumphing out of my headphones. Making me feel like a cat that has been given a very large tin of sardines.

This evening's commute is being devoted to a NH mini-binge!
    It's funny but I listened to Of Queues and Cures last night. It's a record that I always seem to listen for the first time. The perfect sum up of a gorgeous Canterbury decade.

Pip and Phil never sounded better in my humble opinion.

Recently grabbed a couple of CDs I had been meaning to get to for a while:

Egg - The Metronomical Society
    Hatfield - Hattitude

... both excellent! I should have had these ages ago.
    Prog, Metal and Classic rock reviews/interviews - www.velvetthunder.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Recently grabbed a couple of CDs I had been meaning to get to for a while:

Egg - The Metronomical Society
    Hatfield - Hattitude

... both excellent! I should have had these ages ago.
    I was lucky enough to get the Egg signed when it came out. Might be my most cherished CD since Clive is no longer with us.

Mentions of Canterbury and Egg etc in Rascal Reporters review in Prog Magazine this month!

https://twitter.com/hebbardesque/sta...44214625075208

Attachment 13589

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Rascal Reporters are a band I have sadly missed out on, checking them out on bandcamp now.
    Ian

I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

`^

Never forget!

Without question that day in March of 2009 when I was discussing back and forth with one of my heroes of contemporary "progressive" music, Steve Gore of the Rascal Reporters - in which he played with his closest bud, Steve Kretzmer. From what I understood (I may be wrong), they were Bar Mitzvah/highschool friends of unseparable girth. Anyway, we were debating the role of free improvisation etc. in the context of out beloved "genre", him being one who largely created -extremely- through-composed tunes with an almost unprecedented level of melodic structure - yet in frameworks of such density that one'd might even escape the more or less direct references to Bacharach, Carpenters, Brian Wilson etc. were it not for the "diplomatic" character of the duo's basic approach, featuring farce, humour, elegance and the sheer gusto of pure sentimentality.

Gore never really took to free improv. It was from the booklet of RR's The Foul-Tempered Clavier that I got the Fred Frith-quote in my bottom sig. Frith was one of several old mavericks whom they'd lure into contributing to their mildly eccentric vision of song and tune, along with Dave Newhouse (Muffins). Didkovsky (Doctor Nerve), Guy Segers (UZero/Present) and others.

I got the RR's Happy Accidents back in 1997. My then-wife and I played it to our kid while he was still in her swollen stomach, and he obviously adored it. Who wouldn't? My wife would drive us around in our old Golf Joker, harass me for never finishing in my driver's license and pointing out that if I hadn't at least brought some great sound to the table of the damn car, she'd leave me on the pavement. Our son loved Lars Hollmer's Ramlösa Kvällar as well. And Simon Steensland's Zombie Hunter, Beefheart's Decals and Crac! by Area. He turned out alright, of course.

Steve Gore broke off the discussion on improvisation because he had to attend to some housework, promising to return to the same thread the next day. About 20 hours later, Steve Kretzmer reported on how Gore had apparently gone down a set of moist stairs, fallen and hit his head.

And it wasn't an injury or a spectacle. The man was gone.

It's by far the single most tragic incident I ever "witnessed" online, and one I can never really get by. This man was a mind of difficult, but outright brilliance - and yeah, he possessed that exact same of dread-beyond-dark-dry existentialist humour which has kept me alive through decades of immense challenge in the face of folks and the world. I can only imagine how sincerely devastating the whole event must have been for those who actually knew and loved the guy, not least his wife and Steve K..

I still cherish his voice, songs and preposterous outlook on life, and I wish there was an afterlife so that I could meet up with the man and have him do "Woman to Woman" realtime. But alas I've already been dead and know that there isn't an afterlife, here's a couple for you punters:

"Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Thank you for sharing that story!! I remember reading that on here and being quite moved by it. Such a tragic loss

Those albums are available for streaming and purchase on our Bandcamp (even a vinyl transfer of Happy Accidents) so if anyone's checking we would appreciate to check them out there! https://rascalreporters.bandcamp.com/