Thread: MLB 2019

Geezer, are you out there in this forest of AL East bickering? We got us a border battle!
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

So Ronald Acuña is good at baseball.

He'll be a 30/30 man by the end of the week (most likely--he only needs 2 steals).

He has a legitimate shot at being a 40/40 man. If he reaches that and helps propel the Braves strongly into the post-season, is it enough to put him into MVP consideration? The Braves' announcers seem to think so; that's all they talk about when he comes up to bat nowadays. But they're not exactly impartial viewers.

Curious what y'all think.

Here are some stats.

Yelich: .333/.425/.699; 39 HRs; 85 RBI
    Bellinger: .316/.414/.664; 39 HRs; 90 RBI
    Acuña : .299/.378/.543; 34 HRs; 81 RBI

So clearly both Yelich and Bellinger have better numbers. I don't follow either well enough to know about their defense, but I'm pretty sure Acuña will win a Gold Glove at some outfield position this year (he plays all three equally well).

Unlike Chip Caray and Jeff Francoeur (neither of whom are awful in the booth, though Frenchy did say he'd punch out somebody on an opposing team during a broadcast--stay classy), I don't think Acuña can overtake Bellinger or Yelich. A 40/40 season, though, has to put him in the conversation. Right?
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Geezer, are you out there in this forest of AL East bickering? We got us a border battle!
    Who would have thought at the beginning of the season that the Twinkies would be a much better team than the Yeastie Boys?

Marwin who?
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Man, Gleyber Torres simply owns the Orioles. He just hit his third dinger of the day (double-header), which gives him 13 against the team for the season -- a new divisional era record. This kid is the real deal.
    He's not cracked up to what you might think he is. Manny also has 26 HR's, but only one against a high school pitching staff like the Orioles. Manny has one more RBI but twenty points lower in average, but has only played the Orioles twice this year. Manny by all standards is having a bad year. If this kid can't do any better than 13 home runs against ML pitching he isn't even worth talking about.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    He's not cracked up to what you might think he is. Manny also has 26 HR's, but only one against a high school pitching staff like the Orioles. Manny has one more RBI but twenty points lower in average, but has only played the Orioles twice this year. Manny by all standards is having a bad year. If this kid can't do any better than 13 home runs against ML pitching he isn't even worth talking about.
    The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone.

Geezer, this battle ended in a tie. And it was truly a battle.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

There are no ties in baseball. One of the beauties of the game.
    The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    There are no ties in baseball. One of the beauties of the game.
    Mores the pity.
    Ian

I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

The eons are closing
    Please... No more ties... The world doesnt need to make 'legends' out of role players like Bucky Fucking Dent.
    No one plans to take the path that brings you lower

Let me be more explicit for those of you too lazy to check the actual scores. The TWO GAME SERIES ENDED AS A 1-1 TIE!

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Maybe baseball should implement one game tiebreakers in these instances as the collective psyche of the American public can't handle a tie. That or make sure all series are odd numbers. Do it for the children.
    Ian

I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    So Ronald Acuña is good at baseball.

He'll be a 30/30 man by the end of the week (most likely--he only needs 2 steals).

He has a legitimate shot at being a 40/40 man. If he reaches that and helps propel the Braves strongly into the post-season, is it enough to put him into MVP consideration?
    Yes, most definitely. However, I think he'll have a difficult time overcoming Yelich as reigning MVP since he's having a good season. It's similar to anyone vs. Mike Trout in the AL. Devers and a few others deserve consideration, but it could end up being Trout again.

Incidentally, ROY will probably go to Tatis and Yordan Alvarez, though Pete Alonso could be in that mix.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

The eons are closing
    Voters and chix dig the long ball.
    If Alonso breaks McGwire's rookie record I think he would win it. Otherwise i agree with Cozy.

Edit - yeah its Judge's but only Yankee fans remember....
    Last edited by MudShark22; 5 Days Ago at 01:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    Voters and chix dig the long ball.
    If Alonso breaks McGwire's rookie record I think he would win it. Otherwise i agree with Cozy.
    Who's rookie record?

The eons are closing
    Yeah yeah, i know Judge has it...

Did the Indians play the Orioles dressed up as Yankees last night?
    Last edited by Shadow; 4 Days Ago at 06:35 AM.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

It was certainly ugly. But, it was one game. Indians are on a roll, for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Yes, most definitely. However, I think he'll have a difficult time overcoming Yelich as
    Incidentally, ROY will probably go to Tatis and Yordan Alvarez, though Pete Alonso could be in that mix.
    Tatis looks like he’s done for the season. Is Alonso now a lock? Is there room for (warning: homerism incoming!) Soroka, he of the sub 3.00 ERA and likely 15-win season?

By the way. In case y’all didn’t know, I like the Braves. Yep.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

The eons are closing
    As a mets fan, Soroka is totally a worthy candidate. Plenty of time left to ascend even higher.

Plenty o time for Acuña Jr to elevate himself too for MVP.

You know, I like Bob Costas. I think he'd make a great commish. (I think he's too smart to take that job.) Watching him and Jim Kaat on MLB TV right now. Smart guy that Costa. Really knows his trivia. But, man, does he love to hear himself talk. He never stops.

Finally, a Yankee game that wasn't a thumping for one of the teams. A well played game with good pitching and very good defense. Puig has a cannon for an arm, both center fielders ran down some tough shots. A little semblance of order.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Tatis looks like he’s done for the season. Is Alonso now a lock? Is there room for (warning: homerism incoming!) Soroka, he of the sub 3.00 ERA and likely 15-win season?

By the way. In case y’all didn’t know, I like the Braves. Yep.
    Let’s see what Yordan and Alonso do in the last month. Alonso has regressed a bit and Yordan got a late start in the bigs but is on fire.

Soroka certainly deserves consideration as does Chris Paddack or Caleb Smith, but I’d have to give the nod to Soroka.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    Finally, a Yankee game that wasn't a thumping for one of the teams. A well played game with good pitching and very good defense. Puig has a cannon for an arm, both center fielders ran down some tough shots. A little semblance of order.
    Yes, it was a good, entertaining game. Just goes to show that anything can happen in any one game.

Here's hoping the Injuns take a thumping today, though. We don't want to start any new trends.

Automation at home plate can't come fast enough.

Umps throwing out Brett Gardner twice in a week for thumping his bat while otherwise being silent in the dug-out is the kind of umpire interference and overreach that nobody wants.

Just ridiculous.

The Brewers-Nats game tonight was one for the ages. 29 runs, 38 hits, and the Brewers won 15-14 on a top of the 14th 2 run HR by Thames, & it was 15-13 going into the bottom of the 14th.

Oh yeah, 18 pitchers were used.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman