Page 36 of 55 FirstFirst ... 2632333435363738394046 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB 2019

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Oh yeah, 18 pitchers were used.
    But did they use a center fielder.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Automation at home plate can't come fast enough.

Umps throwing out Brett Gardner twice in a week for thumping his bat while otherwise being silent in the dug-out is the kind of umpire interference and overreach that nobody wants.

Just ridiculous.
    Tru, but he really looks like a petulant child doing that. Clearly, the word is out about him and they aren't going to let it continue.

The HP umpire (who wasn't the one who tossed Gardner, but tossed two others) was clearly looking for a fight, as he kept glaring over at the bench. He was a minor league call-up, BTW.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Both sides look ridiculous in that situation. Umpires are horrendous. I'm a soccer referee and they always tell you that you've had your best games when your invisible.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

The eons are closing
    The Yankees look way more unprofessional when they're acting like petulant children than the rookie ump blowing some calls. And it appears that they are purposely working over these rookie umps.

The only one who handled himself with a modicum of class was Maybin.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    And it appears that they are purposely working over these rookie umps.
    Nice conspiracy theory.

I'll grant you that Gardner looks childish, but don't brand the entire team for his silliness. They were shitty calls and they voiced their problems with it. And, if you watched the game, you'd see that the ump kept looking back at the bench in what appeared to be an act of goading them. He's trained to not engage like that. He was no more professional than Gardner. That's taboo to many players. I suspect your team would do the same thing.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Nice conspiracy theory.

I'll grant you that Gardner looks childish, but don't brand the entire team for his silliness. They were shitty calls and they voiced their problems with it. And, if you watched the game, you'd see that the ump kept looking back at the bench in what appeared to be an act of goading them. He's trained to not engage like that. He was no more professional than Gardner. That's taboo to many players. I suspect your team would do the same thing.
    Nothing really childish or wrong IMO about banging a bat. I hope the whole stadium starts a trend of stamping their feet when bad calls occur.

As i said, umpiring can't become automated fast enough. There really is no place for them in the game any more.

My mother is 92 and has dementia and I watch her full time. I set up a bedroom on the first floor and I can look in from my computer desk. This morning she sits up in bed and looks out at me and says: "The Yankees won". I'd like to know where that came from.

^ Ron called her yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ Ron called her yesterday.
    But they lost. I guess that's the dementia talking.
    Last edited by Shadow; 08-19-2019 at 10:37 AM.

I'm guessing it's just a force of habit. Things that are common in one's life tend to be what they easily recall in their later years.

I'm guessing it's just a force of habit. Things that are common in one's life tend to be what they easily recall in their later years.
    It's either church or coffee, Yankees is a new one. It could have been worse, she could have said Patriots or Trump.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    The Brewers-Nats game tonight was one for the ages. 29 runs, 38 hits, and the Brewers won 15-14 on a top of the 14th 2 run HR by Thames, & it was 15-13 going into the bottom of the 14th.

Oh yeah, 18 pitchers were used.
    hell yeah this was definitely our craziest game of the season

I mean that description doesn't even do it justice...Brewers hit 3 HRs in the 9th to go up one, then the Nats got on 4 consecutive baserunners vs. Hader to tie the game and have the bases loaded w/ no outs....only for Hader to strike out 3 straight. Yelich hit a dinger in the 12th but the Nats got it right back. Even in the 14th, a would be game-ending ground ball was botched giving the Nats a chance to tie it again.

of course getting demolished the following day sorta takes the luster out of it
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

Looks Like Bosox Chris Sale will sit the rest of the season due to left elbow inflammation. Time to get out the golf clubs for October, boys.

Kinda dickish...
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Kinda dickish...
    Are you referring to me?

Soooo, setting the "dickish"ness aside, big series in LA this weekend. Possible post-season matchup. Yankees got smacked in Oakland and my hopes aren't very high.

I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Not a fan of the weekend uniforms, either.

I would think a batter might have a tough time seeing the white baseball coming from a white pitcher's uniform. Maybe they should bring back Charlie Finley's orange balls. (That doesn't sound right.)
    Last edited by ronmac; 08-24-2019 at 09:15 AM.

Frank Zappa pitching for the Dodgers today.

Not a fan of the weekend uniforms, either.
    The all blacks almost work. But, good god, those whites are awful.

Frank Zappa pitching for the Dodgers today.

Ha! That’s what my wife said when she him pitching against the Braves last week.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    The all blacks almost work. But, good god, those whites are awful.
    Totally agree.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Ha! That’s what my wife said when she him pitching against the Braves last week.
    It's uncanny watching him on FS1 today. He could be his twin.

Catcher Francisco Cervelli asked the Pirates to release him in the hopes of being picked up by a winning team. Looks like the Braves just signed him.

Smart move, Francisco. He went from the Yankees to the Pirates, a team with no commitment to winning and terrible local support, to a team on the heat of a race.

Catcher Francisco Cervelli asked the Pirates to release him in the hopes of being picked up by a winning team. Looks like the Braves just signed him.

Smart move, Francisco. He went from the Yankees to the Pirates, a team with no commitment to winning and terrible local support, to a team on the heat of a race.
    Cervelli asked to be released because he said he will not catch anymore. He is coming back from his 6th concussion. Wants to play but not as a catcher. Interesting to see how this turns out.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    Cervelli asked to be released because he said he will not catch anymore. He is coming back from his 6th concussion. Wants to play but not as a catcher. Interesting to see how this turns out.
    Braves crew interviewed him before tonight’s game. A new treatment has him feeling good. He’ll catch for Atlanta. In fact, he’s catching tonight in Flushing.

The black vs white unis are an homage to the late Mad magazine and their Spy vs Spy.