Page 31 of 55 FirstFirst ... 2127282930313233343541 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB 2019

^^ I heard a report on NPR about this the other day. The players want it, the fans want it, I am pretty sure the owners want it. MLB, apparently, does not.

There are about a half dozen teams doing this. Good for them.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Withdrawal
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Does anyone actually call a game anymore on the major networks?

I turned off the awful Joe Buck and Fox's silly microphoned outfielder interviews to see if the ESPN radio broadcast is any better. Those guys are talking about how much Verlander sleeps at night and 1980s movies.
    I couldn't take it anymore. Between the miked players and Buck's constant need to have crap come out of his mouth, I turned off the game. A shame as it is really the only good All-star game.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    A shame as it is really the only good All-star game.
    It's the only game where the players can give 100% the whole game with a minimal chance of getting hurt.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

How about that combined no-hitter on the night they paid tribute to Tyler Skaggs? Pretty cool. Did they ever announce a cause of death?

Any second-half predictions? Who's going to make the big moves for the final push or the rebuild?

Wow, look who has the best record in MLB after the Dodgers' four straight losses. Not bad for a team that still has a number of key players on the IL.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Wow, look who has the best record in MLB after the Dodgers' four straight losses. Not bad for a team that still has a number of key players on the IL.
    They are certainly playing very well.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    They are certainly playing very well.
    They're still Evil.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    They're still Evil.
    Remember, "evil" spelled backwards is "live."

Not sure what that means, though.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    They aren't zombies?
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    They aren't zombies?
    They had a lot more hits than The Zombies.

How about that combined no-hitter on the night they paid tribute to Tyler Skaggs? Pretty cool. Did they ever announce a cause of death?
    It was a great tribute and very cathartic for the players, fans, and I'm sure his family (his mother threw the first pitch!). They have not yet announced a cause of death.

Any second-half predictions? Who's going to make the big moves for the final push or the rebuild?
    Hmm.

At one point, it was thought Cleveland would be sellers, but that would seem to be no longer the case - but could depend on the next few weeks. In fact, I feel like this year is shaping up to be one where most of the trading comes towards the very end of the deadline. I think the crop of most of the obvious players that could be moved are not going to have a great deal of impact besides filling gaps.

If someone is going to make an impact move, it would be a team like the Padres, Yankees, Dodgers, Rays, Braves or Astros with a decent farm system, trading for a bigger chip. Maybe you'll see DeGrom or Thor go somewhere. Maybe the ChiSox sell high on Giolito.

Watch out for the Nats. They are 29-11 in their last 40 games and actually now have the 3rd best record in the AL.

As to who will win? It's too difficult to say. The NL is clusterf*ck besides the Dodgers and Braves. In the AL, all the top contenders from last year are in the race with the addition of the Twins and even the Rangers. I personally feel the Astros are still the team to beat, but felt that way last year as well.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Phillip Ervin went 6 for 6 last night against the Rockies. It was the FIRST time in the oldest franchises' history that has been done.

Additional minutia from last night..... The Reds were the first team in the modern era to hit 5 triples and 3 homers in a game.
    Last edited by Lou; 07-14-2019 at 05:14 PM.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

That was one of the first times I've seen a runner called safe because the pitcher interfered in the baseline. That play probably decided the outcome of the game.

Looks like d'Arnaud was a one man wrecking crew against the Yankees tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Looks like d'Arnaud was a one man wrecking crew against the Yankees tonight.
    Yep, he seems to have their number. Can't win them all. Close, though.

Boston still stands a fair chance of winning the A.L. East, IMO; even if they don't, they'll cruise to the home WC game. If they win it, I'd make them the slight favorite to win the A.L.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    It's the only game where the players can give 100% the whole game with a minimal chance of getting hurt.
    To a point. Pitchers still have to throw hard and they are the ones who seem to get hurt the most. Basketball and hockey used to have respectable games, but I have no interest in watching a basketball game where the winning team gets around 200 points and a hockey game with 15 goals a side. Football All-star game should be cancelled. I'm surprised that so many people do watch.

I just heard that they are experimenting with stealing first base in some minor league games. Any time a ball gets past the catcher, the batter can try to make it to first.

How dumb is that? It's not like every field has the same foul territory dimensions.

MLB needs to get their shit together. Instead of stupid gimmicks, how about making it safer and more affordable for families to go to a game?

I just heard that they are experimenting with stealing first base in some minor league games. Any time a ball gets past the catcher, the batter can try to make it to first.

How dumb is that? It's not like every field has the same foul territory dimensions.

MLB needs to get their shit together. Instead of stupid gimmicks, how about making it safer and more affordable for families to go to a game?
    It's dumb that nearly every field has different distances to the outfield walls.

The eons are closing
    MLB does have suggested minimums (320 lines, 400' dead center) but otherwise stays out of fray.

At least they dont dictate minimum # of seats like NHL does., regardless of market analytics...
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

I quite like the idea. There’s a bit of added strategy. You can easily imagine a manager telling his sluggers not to run.

A reliever coming late who tends to be wild? There’s a bit of added risk.

Theres a bit of added action, too. If there’s one thing baseball needs in this era of three true outcome ball, it’s action.

I say if it works, bring it up to the Majors.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

^^ I don't see it ever happening. The game doesn't need it. They have too many real problems to fix, like terrible umpiring, to start creating more.

^You're right. It probably won't happen, but I still think it's a neat idea, and it's not so left-field that it doesn't fit into current rules (e.g., running on a third strike wild pitch/passed ball).

I hope I don't come across as combative for the sake of combat, but I'll disagree with you on the umpiring comment, too. With a few notable exceptions (Angel Hernandez still has a job???), today's umps are pretty good. Replay has, I think, shown how difficult their jobs are. If a close call doesn't go my team's way, and replay shows that it's coin flip even slowed down from multiple camera angles, then so be it. If anything, replay is showing us that we need more camera angles, more cameras at all the games.

Do umps miss pitches? Of course. The numbers can mount up and sound horrific (34K missed balls/strikes last year! https://www.sportingnews.com/us/mlb/...j1w2cmv3accu5w ), but unless we're talking about robot umps, then they're about as good as a human being can be averaging (according to the same study) 14 misses per game, which is really not that bad.

I can't remember the last time I watched a game and saw a big call that they missed horribly. When it happens, it seems more the exception than the rule. Those exceptions tend to stand out--sort of like when a guy gets a hit against the shift and the announcers overreact and claim that shifting is ruining the game--but that doesn't mean that umpiring is inherently flawed.

One umpiring change I could support? That same study showed that older umpires missed more calls. Think Cowboy Joe West and Ted Barrett and, yeah, Hernandez. I'd hate to be told I can't do my job anymore because I'm old, but I don't think my job particularly demands the physical advantages of youth.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

^^ No, I don't see you as being combative at all.

I have seen numerous terrible calls just in the last week or so. Some absolutely did affect the game. I'm referring to pitches that were four inches outside, for example. And it wasn't Hernandez, either.

Not sure who it was, but there was a Yankees game the other day where the 1B ump blew three or four calls. Luckily, they were overturned.

I would rather not lose the human element of real umps. I'm willing to accept some mistakes. But, there needs to be more accountability. I know there's some, isn't there?