Page 3 of 55 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    They did that just to spite Facey.

FWIW, I would seriously consider acquiring Machado if I was Cashman...
    They're not going to drop $24million on LeMahieu and still go after Machado. Now, I'm still trying to figure out this move, but it does tell me they don't want Manny.

They don't need Machado. They never did.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    They're not going to drop $24million on LeMahieu and still go after Machado. Now, I'm still trying to figure out this move, but it does tell me they don't want Manny.

They don't need Machado. They never did.

I think it simply works like this:

Machado for $300+ million for 10 years or invest a fraction of that on your farm system and get:

Judge, Andujar, Severino, Torres, Sanchez, Frazier and Bird all making under $1 million per year. And there were others that have been or can be used as trade chips. They are under team control for a few years then the Yanks can decide who to pay and who to trade or let go. On top of that the team is not an injury or a meltdown away from wrecking the franchise for years. See Ryan Howard or Chip Davis. Although that affects other teams more that the Yanks.

Bonus. Not worrying about what to do with someone at the back end of a huge contract no longer pulling the contract weight.

Like you said they don't need Machado. They never did. Could use a top starter though.
    Last edited by Tangram; 01-13-2019 at 03:32 AM.

It all depends on the goal of the Yankees at this point in their run. I stated last March they were a trendy WS pick by the sports media but they weren’t quite ready yet. Seems I was right. If the goal is more of the same, they are in a good spot.

But these next 2-3 seasons are their window. The best argument against Machado in my opinion is not saving dollars (it’s the Yanks after all, see Stanton), but timing. I think they stand a much better chance of a WS appearance in 2020, not this year. The Sox and Astros are still the teams to beat in the AL until they’re not, but that will become easier to do in 2020 when their cycles wind down and they have to shed salaries and reload.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

^^^ I agree unless the Yanks address the starting pitching and change the culture a bit to be able to manufacture some runs against good pitching instead of just relying on the HR. 0-2 or 1-2 count with less than 2 outs may be a time to cut down the swing a bit. Too many unproductive outs.

Yeah the Sox were a great team last year. Looking forward for the season to start.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    ^^^ I agree unless the Yanks address the starting pitching
    Are you not keen on the Paxton upgrade? I guess in the end they have the same rotation as the end of last season (CC, Severino, Tanaka, Happ), but bringing Happ back and Paxton are upgrades to Gray and Montgomery. Who would you venture that they get between now and opening day and would you go 6 man or put CC in the pen?

Yeah the Sox were a great team last year. Looking forward for the season to start.
    Me as well. I've been following the offseason pretty actively and watching MLB network as well.

The Sox were pretty special last year. When your team wins the WS, the only bittersweet feeling is that one where "there's no place to go but down". Don't get me wrong, I'm ecstatic of their accomplishments, but I recognize how difficult it is these days in the MLB to repeat or sustain such success. I think they have an excellent chance to repeat this year, but so did the Astros last year, and the Cubs the year before that...

Well today the Philly management is going to Vegas to meet with Harper and his agent. Some of the local media are speculating the Phillies will end up with Harper AND Machado when the dust settles.

I’d rather have Trout than either, but getting both would probably put us in the 95 win playoff strata.

Quote Originally Posted by chescorph View Post
    Well today the Philly management is going to Vegas to meet with Harper and his agent. Some of the local media are speculating the Phillies will end up with Harper AND Machado when the dust settles.
    I'm really surprised the Dodgers haven't swooped in for either of these guys. When they jettisoned Puig and Kemp, Harper seemed like an obvious opening, but there really hasn't been much chatter on it. There are many teams that could work. I know Philly is a front runner, but I just can't see it. I think he has a better chance of going back to the Nats (don't ask me why). I really see Harper ending up either with the Dodgers (just because), the Cards, or one of the Chicago teams.

It seems like Machado is getting squeezed out of the Yankees plans and might be down to just Philly and the White Sox. I'm curious if the Angels could find a way to make it work.

Yankees are a better team this year than they were last year when they won 100 games. They had no desire to offer a $300 million deal to Machado or the length he wanted. That's why they never even put one on the table.

If Severino can stop tipping his pitches, they have as good a rotation than just about any other team. And they still have a great pen after just signing Britton. They're not done there, either. Like I noted, I don't quite understand this recent signing, unless their excellent scouting sees something nobody else does. But, it does show, to me, that Machado will not be a Yankee. And I couldn't be more trilled.

ONE MONTH TO PITCHERS AND CATCHERS REPORTING!
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I was just watching the Antiques Roadshow and this guy had Wally Pipps' NY Yankees sweater from 1925, one of only three Yankees sweaters known to exist from that era. It's worth $75,000.00.
    Geddy Lee will be putting in a bid
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Geddy Lee will be putting in a bid
    But, he's a Jays fan.

Quote Originally Posted by chescorph View Post

I’d rather have Trout than either, but getting both would probably put us in the 95 win playoff strata.
    With all due respect, doing nothing while waiting for Trout is just foolish. The Phillies might have the most money in the league to spend. It would be silly to not spend it on one or both of these guys when they have such a desperate need. If they can get Trout next year, go for it. Again, money shouldn't be an issue with this team (ridiculous Nola negotiations notwithstanding).

I'm really surprised the Dodgers haven't swooped in for either of these guys. When they jettisoned Puig and Kemp, Harper seemed like an obvious opening, but there really hasn't been much chatter on it. There are many teams that could work. I know Philly is a front runner, but I just can't see it. I think he has a better chance of going back to the Nats (don't ask me why). I really see Harper ending up either with the Dodgers (just because), the Cards, or one of the Chicago teams.

It seems like Machado is getting squeezed out of the Yankees plans and might be down to just Philly and the White Sox. I'm curious if the Angels could find a way to make it work.
    Yeah, I'm surprised about the Dodgers, too. it really seemed like they were positioning themselves to do something dramatic.

I don't see Harper going back to the Nats. Their window is closed.

The Cards and Cubs can't afford Harper, and the ChiSox apparently aren't offering the money or years that the Phillies are offering. If he doesn't sign with Philly, it won't be for money reasons.

But, he's a Jays fan.
    He's a baseball fan and collector. This would be right up his alley.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I don't see Harper going back to the Nats. Their window is closed.
    Actually, I've read in a few places that it's more open than it was a few weeks ago. Don't rule out the Nats.

Actually, I've read in a few places that it's more open than it was a few weeks ago. Don't rule out the Nats.
    I mean their window to win. And I think Harper knows that.

I think it's between the Phillies and the White Sox, and the Phillies are clearly offering more. Harper either doesn't want to come here, or his agent is just trying to drum up interest.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Are you not keen on the Paxton upgrade? I guess in the end they have the same rotation as the end of last season (CC, Severino, Tanaka, Happ), but bringing Happ back and Paxton are upgrades to Gray and Montgomery. Who would you venture that they get between now and opening day and would you go 6 man or put CC in the pen?
    Paxton is a nice pickup but has only one season as a full time starter. That was last year and averaged slightly less than 6 innings per start. CC fan and I hope he can keep doing good backend pitching. Tanaka is very clutch when you need it. The big question is which Sevy are the Yanks getting. The lights out workhorse of the 1st half or the guy who struggled in the 2nd half. Actually was a big Montgomery fan. I don’t know when he returns but I usually takes a years work to get back to where you were. I think Greys problems are in his head, I would like them to give him another chance. Basically they are talented but there are a lot of questions. The bullpen is awesome again. Can’t wait

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    Paxton is a nice pickup but has only one season as a full time starter. That was last year and averaged slightly less than 6 innings per start. CC fan and I hope he can keep doing good backend pitching. Tanaka is very clutch when you need it. The big question is which Sevy are the Yanks getting. The lights out workhorse of the 1st half or the guy who struggled in the 2nd half. Actually was a big Montgomery fan. I don’t know when he returns but I usually takes a years work to get back to where you were. I think Greys problems are in his head, I would like them to give him another chance. Basically they are talented but there are a lot of questions. The bullpen is awesome again. Can’t wait
    +1

They're hoping to see something from Montgomery this year.

Brewers sign Dodgers catcher Yasmani Grandal to a one year free agent contract to back up Pina.

They must have been impressed after he was struck out in MORE THAN HALF of his at bats against them in the NLCS.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

John Wetteland arrested on child sex abuse charges. How far the mighty have fallen.

Sick bastard.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Brewers sign Dodgers catcher Yasmani Grandal to a one year free agent contract to back up Pina.

They must have been impressed after he was struck out in MORE THAN HALF of his at bats against them in the NLCS.
    Apparently, he felt "insulted" by the Mets' $60 million offer.

If only I could be so insulted.

I like the way Maddon thinks, and really hope it's true that his vision agrees with the FO folks:

Joe Maddon says Bryce Harper 'not happening' and that Cubs' improvements likely will come from within

Pitchers and catchers in less than a month!
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

I didn't realize that the Cubs were even in the mix.

I didn't realize that the Cubs were even in the mix.
    Beyond rumors, I'm not sure they ever really have been. The main item is that he's apparently besties with Kris Bryant, which fueled a lot of speculation that he'd go there to join his compadre.

Beyond rumors, I'm not sure they ever really have been. The main item is that he's apparently besties with Kris Bryant, which fueled a lot of speculation that he'd go there to join his compadre.
    Kinda like when you want to go to the same college as your high school girlfriend.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Kinda like when you want to go to the same college as your high school girlfriend.
    And how well does that usually turn out?
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    And how well does that usually turn out?
    Exactly.