Page 2 of 55 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB 2019

Thames, Knebel, Broxton and maybe even AAA phenom Keston Hiura. If they can re-sign Moustakas (doubtful) then Travis Shaw would also be available.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Thames, Knebel, Broxton and maybe even AAA phenom Keston Hiura. If they can re-sign Moustakas (doubtful) then Travis Shaw would also be available.
    Hiura might be a viable centerpiece to a trade.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Kluber is available. Whatcha got?
    I'm not sure he's going anywhere. I think a deal would have been made by now.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I'm not sure he's going anywhere. I think a deal would have been made by now.
    I think they need to move him, and they would have by now, if the offers had been good enough. But I think everyone sees what we see. Still, I wouldn't want Major League talent for him, but would need a raft of quality prospects.

It seems the Pale Hose have an offer on the table for Machado and, if reports are correct, are the only team to formally do so. But, that reporting seems inconsistent with all the musings about everyone "waiting for Machado" to make a decision.

Just goes to show that reporting needs to be taken with a grain of salt.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Everything I've seen says that the ChiSox aren't offering enough money nor enough time, however negotiations are still open.

If Machado (or Harper, for that matter) are only after money and time, both would sign with the Phillies. They're willing to overpay.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    There is a small-market team that is only one (#1) starter away from being favored to win the NL in 2019. Can they find him?
    still think it's funny that Jhoulys Chacin wound up being the best starter of last year's FA class

tbh I'm not even sure the Crew need one. I think last year proved that you don't really need a "balanced" team to win.

I do wonder what's going to happen with Thames. He's not really useful to the Brewers this year and tbh I don't know what his trade value is. Some AL team can use him as a DH/sometimes 1B though the market is usually flooded with players like that.
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Everything I've seen says that the ChiSox aren't offering enough money nor enough time, however negotiations are still open.
    Nor a good enough team. They are too far away from being competitive. I think the Phillies are the best place for both.

Inherently the options are limited for Machado and Bryce. Assuming these guys get (at a minimum) $250m and more likely 300m+, there's maybe 10 clubs that could/would fork over that kind of money. Most of those are large market teams or teams that have a history of pushing the team salary limits.

- Philly seems the obvious choice for at least one because they have the space.

- The Dodgers seem like a possible choice for both since they had a taste of Machado and one could argue they jettisoned Puig and Kemp to make room for Bryce.

- The Giants seem like a possible option as there is some pressure for Farhan Zaidi to make an impact move.

- The Yanks have obviously been a popular rumored landing spot for Machado.

- The Cubs are possibilities (maybe not wise ones) between their interest in Bryce and the Kris Bryant connection.

- The Cardinals seem like a very under-reported choice for both guys. They made a move for Goldy and could still use some pitching, but they would be clear upgrades for a team that could be competitive.

- The Nats still can be players for Bryce. While there's a lot of inference that they have moved on, it may not end up that way.

- The Angels can't be ruled out for Machado.

- The Braves have been linked to Machado, but like the Yankees, they have to jettison someone to make that work. They do have a spot for Bryce if so inclined.

Beyond that, I could see the White Sox (feeling the pressure to be competitive), Seattle (it's Dipoto after all), Padres (like the White Sox, they have done some questionable big splashes), and The Mets (they do stupid things annually lol).

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Inherently the options are limited for Machado and Bryce.
    Poisoned Youth: Why did the chicken cross the road?

(You know that you are burning to ask why...)

Yankees Signed Zach Britton.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    It wouldn't surprise me at all if the Yanks signed Machado. He's in his prime and an exciting player. I have a lot of respect for Cashman, so I expect there to be a good reason if he does or doesn't get it done. I personally think that there's too much talent to be had in baseball to tie up 30m+/year on any single player. But then again, if Machado is the guy to push a team over the edge that is *this close* to being in the WS this or next year, you pull the trigger if you're the Yankees.

On another note, I'm surprised the Yanks won't lower their price on Gray (whatever it actually is, it's reportedly high). The Yanks gave up three decent-ish prospects to get Gray, but since he's a FA after this season (iirc), the Yanks would be fortunate to get a package of a top 5 prospect and 1 other back for him. And as the clock ticks, his value just gets lower.

Machado is badly needed in the Bronx and the Yankees have craved him for years. No reason (right now) to believe that he won't be in NY next year, but you never know what kind of crazy offer a dark-horse team might make. The only wild-card with respect to Machado to the Yankees is that they don't want him playing shortstop, which is his preferred position. I have a hard time believing that another team will make a crazy offer *and* then promise Machado that he can play the position where he is significantly worse, but it's not an impossible senario - every franchise that has a lot of money to spend has made questionable decisions with that money over the years.

Not at all sad to see Robertson go. He was very hit-and-miss (no pun intended) last year. His best days are behind him. I'm not a huge fan of Britton either (based on what I saw out of him as a Yankee last year) but at least Britton had injury recovery as a possible reason for his inconsistent play last year. The Yankees did need somebody extra in the bullpen, and - as Cashman reportedly had no interest in re-signing Robertson, Britton is as good an option as any left available. His ceiling is very high, considering what he did a couple of years ago.
    Last edited by Facelift; 01-06-2019 at 05:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Machado is badly needed in the Bronx
    I'll have to disagree with that.

I'll have to disagree with that.
    The Yankees want to trade Andujar, as they rightly realize that his trade value will likely never be higher, and he will likely be a problematic player for them to commit to long-term (because they're too wealthy of a team to need to deal with his holes - like his lack of ability to play third and but not being enough of a hitter to justify playing 1B. The Yankees are a better team with Machado at third and whomever the Yankees get in a trade for Andjuar, than they are with Andujar at third and extra FA money.

I totally disagree.

I totally disagree.
    Disagree with what?

The Yankees *do* want to trade Andjuar, so there's nothing to disagree with, as far as that's concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Disagree with what?

The Yankees *do* want to trade Andujar, so there's nothing to disagree with, as far as that's concerned.
    I have seen no reports that the Yankees are shopping Andujar, except for a very few speculative BS commentaries that are baseless in fact. I think he'll be fine.

I think they are a better team without Machado, because they can use the money where they need it. I think Machado is a punk and isn't worth the money or years. I'm not even convinced he can handle the market.

So, yes, I disagree.

I was just watching the Antiques Roadshow and this guy had Wally Pipps' NY Yankees sweater from 1925, one of only three Yankees sweaters known to exist from that era. It's worth $75,000.00.

It's worth $75,000.00.
    To someone, I suppose.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    To someone, I suppose.
    Well, like I always say, some people have more money than brains. I live in an area full of them.

The Phillies have hired Bobby Dickerson as the infield coach for their big-league staff, according to multiple reports Thursday night. Dickerson has been a mentor to Manny Machado since their days in Baltimore, where he was the team’s third-base coach.

The Phillies have hired Bobby Dickerson as the infield coach for their big-league staff, according to multiple reports Thursday night. Dickerson has been a mentor to Manny Machado since their days in Baltimore, where he was the team’s third-base coach.
    Not a bad move, if it brings Manny to the fold.

More importantly, I hope Dickerson can help with their absolutely awful defense.

BTW, there are numerous reports that NY has not even put an offer on the table to Machado.

They did that just to spite Facey.

FWIW, I would seriously consider acquiring Machado if I was Cashman...