Page 39 of 55 FirstFirst ... 2935363738394041424349 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB 2019

Quote Originally Posted by mnprogger View Post
    The Twins likely will surpass the Team Home Run record, broke/set by the Yankees last year at 267 as they hit 3 more tonight to have them at 251 with 33 games left.

That's great, but I don't have much hope for them in the playoffs with their pitching and fielding.

It seems most games they win, they outscore the other team.
    Pineda suspended for 60 games due to a diuretic he took having a banned substance

https://apnews.com/20bb9d4b5ecf45dcb...dium=AP_Sports
    stick-a-fork in the Twins in the playoffs.

^^ The guy has a lot of talent but really can't seem to get his shit together.

Not an uncommon story.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Time for a Braves update? Sure!

Can the Braves catch the Dodgers? If you’d asked me two weeks ago, I’d have said no. But now? They destroyed the Mets and the Nats, won nine straight and have found a nice rhythm for their ‘pen. Their bench is deep, their starting pitchers are dealing and they have potentially two position players that will get MVP votes.

I know they’ve got to prove it in the playoffs (historic problem in ATL), but, man, this team is good.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

I think both the Twins and the Indians have had it up to here with the A crew (Diaz, Reliford, Nelson...). Nelson Cruz got thrown out of the game yesterday. From the dugout. Anyone ever see Nelly get tossed? Yeah, didn't think so.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Yeastie Boys are about to take 3 of 4 from the Cubbies and go from "they're done" to only 2 behind for the 2nd wild card w/20 to play.

I hate to quote a Yankee, but is it "deja vu all over again".
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

It ain't over 'til it's over.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Through the first three games of the NY/Boston series these weekend, the Red Sox have used 24 pitchers.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Dombrowski is toast.
    Well kudos to you. I am a bit surprised by it and I suppose we'll hear a little more as to why (and why now) in the coming days.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Yeastie Boys are about to take 3 of 4 from the Cubbies and go from "they're done" to only 2 behind for the 2nd wild card w/20 to play.

I hate to quote a Yankee, but is it "deja vu all over again".
    Fingers crossed but maaan is there a logjam at the top of the WC standings. They'd have to beat out Philly, Chicago, AND Arizona for it (and the Mets are lurking somewhere behind). Doesn't seem like last time when the Cubs collapsed at just the right time to leave 'em an opening. But hey. There's always hope !!!
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by JAMOOL View Post
    Doesn't seem like last time when the Cubs collapsed at just the right time to leave 'em an opening. But hey. There's always hope !!!
    If the Cubs have proven anything over the years it's that they are capable of collapse at any time, for any reason at all, or for no apparent reason whatsoever. I'm just glad we're in a division where no other team seems to want to run away with it either...Makes for an interesting September, for sure.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

I do find it telling that they shit-canned Donbrowski before they were technically out of the hunt. What does that say about his reputation within their organization?

It will be an interesting off-season for dem BoSox. They have a lot of difficult decisions to make.

I do find it telling that they shit-canned Donbrowski before they were technically out of the hunt. What does that say about his reputation within their organization?
    It points to a lot of those rumors and scuttlebutt in the press as having more than a grain of truth. Sounds like he didn't manage internal relationships very well and the Sox were just sick of him. More will emerge over the coming weeks I'm sure.

It will be an interesting off-season for dem BoSox. They have a lot of difficult decisions to make.
    Very true.

Bill

Red Sox fire president a year after winning Series
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    ^ I pray that some day the owners will wake up & come to the same conclusion. And then, INDIVIDUALLY, of course, begin to offer sensible contracts &, in turn, bring the fans back to the game.
    Why does it matter in any way to you what billionaire owners pay their players?

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Why does it matter in any way to you what billionaire owners pay their players?
    It makes it impossible for families to come to games. Just look how much hockey and boxing seats cost. Forget about basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    It makes it impossible for families to come to games. Just look how much hockey and boxing seats cost. Forget about basketball.
    You think the player salaries are responsible? LOL. It's supply and demand.

Plenty of families are going to games. Families with money.

Sports used to be more of a blue-collar interest. Not any more. That means that people who used to be able to go, now can't. Or can't go as often.

Every game is televised, anyway.

Let me make this subtle:

If the Brewers don't sign Yasmani Grandal to a multi-year contract that at least matches ANY other deal he's offered, Brewers wunderkind GM David Stearns should be forced to eat his own testicles in spite of his past successes. .
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

There's quite a battle for playoff home-field advantage going on.

Why does it matter to me, you ask? It doesn't really. Because I don't go to games, I don't buy any of the paraphernalia, & I don't subscribe to any sports channels, TV or radio. In other words I don't have any skin in the game & I, therefore, am not complaining. I am just puzzled by the lack of appreciation of the philosophy of a successful business.

Sure, there will always be people with the available cash to poney up & pay for tickets to the game. But, look at the attendance figures. They are high, but how much higher could they be if prices were lower? More fannies in the seats translates into a greater cash flow. And, as for that "always be people" statement, at some point, given baseball's current fiscal practice, it's is going to crash. Mark my words.

But that's long-term thinking. Most sports organizations don't (or can't?) think beyond tomorrow.
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

YELICH - FRACTURED KNEECAP - OUT FOR SEASON!

Only because 16 of their remaining 19 games are against sub .500 teams and they won again tonight do I not yet hang my head & weep.

that sucks.

The Twins just found out Byron Buxton is out for the season as well.

yeah, yeah, injuries are part of the game, lol.

Only because 16 of their remaining 19 games are against sub .500 teams and they won again tonight do I not yet hang my head & weep.
    Unless it has long-term effects. Sorry to see that happen to anyone. Especially a class act.

Sorry to hear about Yelich - he's had such a great season it'll be a shame for him not to be in the playoffs if the Brew crew make it.

Cubs just lost Javy Baez with a hairline thumb fracture. Possibly back for the post-season (if the Cubs make it).

It's a long-ass season and a real war of attrition.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

if its just a broken bone he'll be just fine. prognosis is 6-8 weeks so there's a chance he comes back for Game 6 of the World Series

I feel bad for him, he was likely to repeat as MVP and had a pretty good shot at being the first 50/30 player in MLB history. there is still a chance he wins MVP of course.

as for the Brewers go...luckily outfield was the one position they had a lot of depth at, Grisham seems to be a starting quality outfielder so I still think they'll get solid production there. if Moose & Hiura come back I think the offense will still be very good. of course they don't really have much room for error - they are only a half game back of the 2nd WC now but there are so many teams in the hunt, they still have to finish strong.
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

He could always be a DH if they make it to the series.