Page 42 of 55 FirstFirst ... 3238394041424344454652 ... LastLast
Results 1,026 to 1,050 of 1351

Thread: MLB 2019

Quote Originally Posted by JAMOOL View Post
    Brewers locked up a playoff trip and if they win today they're only 1 game behind the Cards

much like last September, they're doing it on the backs of pitchers that teams gave up on years ago...Gio, Pomeranz, Lyles...and Hader of course
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Looks like the 'stros are on the verge of securing home-field advantage all the way through. So, someone needs to knock them off in the first round.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Looks like the 'stros are on the verge of securing home-field advantage all the way through. So, someone needs to knock them off in the first round.
    <raises hand> I'll do it.

Sadly, the Reds couldn't bring a victory on the final broadcast of Marty Brenneman's 46 year career. I have been listening to him since his first year.
    A man of superior knowledge, ability, and class. He will be sorely missed!
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Sadly, the Reds couldn't bring a victory on the final broadcast of Marty Brenneman's 46 year career. I have been listening to him since his first year.
    What a career and so many big games. His first one with the Reds included Aaron's 714th HR (not in one game).

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    I think I used to listen to him as a kid on an AM radio, WLW maybe? I wasn't a Reds fan, but back then I was a Baseball fan, and that and Detroit and St Louis were the only things that came in. Was Nuxhall his partner? A long time ago. Not sure if the bean is rendering properly.

Twins clinched the division last night. Looks like Cleveland is going to need a miracle for the wild card.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

yeah.

Game 3 of the ALDS is on Monday October 7th, the same evening Steve Hackett is playing The Pantages in downtown Minneapolis.

I am hoping that, that game will end up being a DAY GAME at least, and I won't be at the concert during the game.

But bitter sweet if that is the case per I won't be able to watch it while at work.

You have to feel sympathetic for the Twins who have lost 5 times in the postseason to the Yankees since 2003. It’s an astounding stat really.

2017 AL Wild Card New York Yankees Lost, 4-8
    2010 Division Series New York Yankees Lost, 0-3
    2009 Division Series New York Yankees Lost, 0-3
    2006 Division Series Oakland Athletics Lost, 0-3
    2004 Division Series New York Yankees Lost, 1-3
    2003 Division Series New York Yankees Lost, 1-3

Unless Houston fails to clinch home field this weekend, “here we go again...”.

It’s also fascinating that the Brewers have finagled their way to a potential division title. The Cubs, who were completely humiliated by the Cards last week have a chance to go into St. Louis this weekend and play spoiler while the Brew Crew has three games in Colorado.

There’s still a lot to work out in fact. NL Central title, Nats trying to secure home field for the WC game, Oakland, Tampa, and Cleveland all jockeying for the AL WC game.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I think I used to listen to him as a kid on an AM radio, WLW maybe? I wasn't a Reds fan, but back then I was a Baseball fan, and that and Detroit and St Louis were the only things that came in. Was Nuxhall his partner? A long time ago. Not sure if the bean is rendering properly.
    Your memory is correct on all accounts!

^ I used to lay in bed with a small transistor radio listening to the broadcasts on low volume, so my parents wouldn't know that I wasn't sleeping.

another fun stat that nobody else will probably care about, if Milwaukee wins 2 of 3 in Colorado then September 2019 will be the best month in Brewers history
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by JAMOOL View Post
    another fun stat that nobody else will probably care about, if Milwaukee wins 2 of 3 in Colorado then September 2019 will be the best month in Brewers history
    Interesting. Though I think most Brewers fans would prefer October 2019 to be the best month in Brewers history.

The eons are closing
    Hah! ^

Where does Freddie Freeman finish in the MVP balloting? For me, he is certainly worthy of discussion.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    Hah! ^

Where does Freddie Freeman finish in the MVP balloting? For me, he is certainly worthy of discussion.
    The amazing thing is that despite his circumstances, Yelich is still in the MVP conversation, and since he had enough at bats already when he went down, may well win his 2nd NL batting title in a row.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    Hah! ^

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    The amazing thing is that despite his circumstances, Yelich is still in the MVP conversation, and since he had enough at bats already when he went down, may well win his 2nd NL batting title in a row.
    Agreed.

While Freeman's had a great year, one could argue Acuna would be equally under consideration. But the reality is there are several names one could choose from including Bellinger, Rendon, Pete Alonso, and Arenado.

In the AL however, I think you'd have a hard time giving it to anyone not named Trout or Bregman.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Unless Rendon has an amazing weekend (like 9-13 or 10-15) Yelich is the NL batting champ again. Ketel Marte is percentage points behind Yelich, but he's also done for the year.

Yelich will also finish 1st in MLB in OPS, and joined the 40/30 club (along with Acuna). I'm guessing Bellinger will win MVP, but I think Yelich should end up no worse than third. We'll see.

So, should Trout get MVP even though his team is 32 games out of first place?
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

That’s what gives Bregman a good shot.

No!
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Then DJ LeMahieu has a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ I used to lay in bed with a small transistor radio listening to the broadcasts on low volume, so my parents wouldn't know that I wasn't sleeping.
    They actually gave out transistor radios to fans on Marty's last day, since many grew up doing the same thing.

Looks like the 'Stros locked-up home field advantage last night. I'd like to see Tampa Bay knock off the A's and then beat the 'Stros. It's a tall order, but it's also baseball.

That Yankees/Twins series should be a good one. The Twins need to overcome their post-season futility against NY (I think it's 13 losses in a row), and the Yankees need to overcome a questionable starting pitching staff and the injuries that continue to saddle them. Two teams with 300+ home runs should result in a bash fest. This could be the series to watch.

The Twins starting pitching is questionable as well. Expect games with twenty runs scored.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    The Twins starting pitching is questionable as well. Expect games with twenty runs scored.
    But it's also baseball, so expect 2-1 pitching duels.