Page 53 of 55 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455 LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,325 of 1351

Thread: MLB 2019

^^ Everybody knew about it. This has been alleged for a couple of years now. Let's see if MLB does something about it. Fucking cheaters.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

yeah there were definitely a lot of rumors abound but having video evidence + an ex-pitcher admitting it seems like a pretty huge deal

funny that it's Mike Fiers, the guy who Milwaukee wound up trading in part because of his consistently poor performances against the Cardinals. it later came out that he was tipping his pitches and St Louis was the only team to figure it out.
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

The Yankees released outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury and designated first baseman Greg Bird for assignment

Finally. Bird could still have a future, though.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    The Yankees released outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury and designated first baseman Greg Bird for assignment

Finally. Bird could still have a future, though.
    Thought he would be great for the Yanks. Certainly got off to a great start before injures derailed him. Hope he stays healthy in a new home, unless it's Boston

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    Thought he would be great for the Yanks. Certainly got off to a great start before injures derailed him. Hope he stays healthy in a new home, unless it's Boston
    Yeah, I feel bad for him. He has a swing made for that stadium. But, they needed to protect their top prospects. And he ain't one of them anymore. They could have sent him to the minors to protect him. But I guess they have seen enough.

Stephen Strasburg and the Washington Nationals have reached agreement on a seven-year deal, the team announced. Sources told ESPN's Jeff Passan that the value of the deal is a record-setting $245 million.

That's a boatload of money.

Stephen Strasburg and the Washington Nationals have reached agreement on a seven-year deal, the team announced. Sources told ESPN's Jeff Passan that the value of the deal is a record-setting $245 million.

That's a boatload of money.
    And sets the bar for Cole to get more than that. Are your Yankees willing to pay (or should even try) with what could be 7-8 years/35-40 aav?
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    And sets the bar for Cole to get more than that. Are your Yankees willing to pay (or should even try) with what could be 7-8 years/35-40 aav?
    They're certainly willing to pay. I know they have a problem with long contracts, so it would be interesting to see how it plays out. They have also made it clear they could be looking at 2nd-tier arms. And, they have a couple of good young arms coming up, so while they are serious about Cole, they are not foolish.

Didi to Yankees South aka the Phillies. Supposedly for one year, would have liked the Yanks to sign him for 3 years. Everyone seems to think he's on the way out but 61 rbi's in 82 games after coming back from major surgery, I'll take anytime

I hope not. ~$300 million as he ages? Has this ever worked? Some were good for most of the contract, but the roadside is littered with many players who didn't come close to living up to expectations. Ellsbury, Pavano, Dave Collins etc were absolute disasters. I think when its said and done we can add Aaron Hicks to this. Jeter, CC, ARod, Reggie, Catfish Hunter all shined for most of there deals, all aged like the rest of us.

Plow the $300 million into the farms where you can control the youngsters for 6 years. And a pitcher that won't make more than some small countries. Maybe an outfielder. It wasn't the pitching that did the Yankees in last year, it was too many hitters who couldn't hit in the clutch.

Didi to Yankees South aka the Phillies. Supposedly for one year, would have liked the Yanks to sign him for 3 years. Everyone seems to think he's on the way out but 61 rbi's in 82 games after coming back from major surgery, I'll take anytime
    Didi is a class act and will be loved by the fans. He's had some ups and downs and, obviously, was impacted by the surgery. He had some good production in his brief 2019, and during his tenure as a Yankee, showed he could step into a hole that a departing legend created and rise to the occasion. He did fall into some bad habits last year and needs to cut back on his aggression at the plate (always swinging at the first pitch) and shorten his swing a bit.

He will be missed for sure. But, his job is already taken by Gleyber Torres who will move to short with Lemahieu at second. Bottom line is that they simply couldn't afford Didi.

Cole to the Yankees; 9 years $325 million.

I was really hoping for Strasburg. I think he would have been a better fit. I have no doubt that Cole will be good in NY, but the park isn't suited to how he pitches. IMO, it's not likely that he'll ever have a year in NY like he had for Houston in 2019.

Anyway, it's not my money. But I don't think Cole was the best way to spend that money. I don't think they *needed* to add a "star" pitcher anyway. They should go all-in on the bullpen thing and keep acquiring top relievers. They (miraculously) had a team good enough to win 103 games last year. The playoffs are just a crapshoot. Cole does only a little to improve their chances to win a playoff series, IMO.
    Last edited by Facelift; 12-11-2019 at 01:10 AM.

I was going to say earlier today that I thought it was a good idea for the Yanks to take the plunge and sign Cole (though I was thinking more 7/275).

The Yanks are on the verge of a WS appearance. As a large market team, they could afford to spend the money to acquire that last piece. Now the Yanks are the clear AL front runners for the next 2-3 seasons. They prevented the Astros (their biggest competition) from getting Cole back, not to mention the Angels and potential WS contender Dodgers. 2020 is really the Yankees to lose at this point.

Also consider that their payroll (outside of Stanton and the Ellsbury debacle) is pretty manageable and that Tanaka’s contract comes to an end soon.

If the Yanks can manage a WS win in any of the next 3 seasons, I think they will consider h acquisition a win regardless what happens after.
    Last edited by Poisoned Youth; 12-11-2019 at 02:24 AM.

I’m hoping the Red Sox can finagle some trades. They have Mookie, JBJ, and Price all gaining trade interest. I’d like to see the team go into a semi rebuild mode, trading off the excess while keeping a core of guys like Xander, Devers, and Benintendi, eyeing 2022 for a run.

I was going to say earlier today that I thought it was a good idea for the Yanks to take the plunge and sign Cole (though I was thinking more 7/275).

The Yanks are on the verge of a WS appearance. As a large market team, they could afford to spend the money to acquire that last piece. Now the Yanks are the clear AL front runners for the next 2-3 seasons. They prevented the Astros (their biggest competition) from getting Cole back, not to mention the Angels and potential WS contender Dodgers. 2020 is really the Yankees to lose at this point.

Also consider that their payroll (outside of Stanton and the Ellsbury debacle) is pretty manageable and that Tanaka’s contract comes to an end soon.

If the Yanks can manage a WS win in any of the next 3 seasons, I think they will consider h acquisition a win regardless what happens after.
    I guess winning the WS within 3 years is going to make it worthwhile because within 3-4 years all the cheap Yankee kids will all be free agents. That’s Judge, Sanchez, Torres, Severino, Betances, and all of them will not be back. It could get ugly as Stanton and Cole decline as they age while sucking up $60+ million a year. Not a fan of this deal. Heck they would just be a little short of being able to pick up Strasberg and Wheeler for Cole.

I guess winning the WS within 3 years is going to make it worthwhile because within 3-4 years all the cheap Yankee kids will all be free agents. That’s Judge, Sanchez, Torres, Severino, Betances, and all of them will not be back. It could get ugly as Stanton and Cole decline as they age while sucking up $60+ million a year. Not a fan of this deal. Heck they would just be a little short of being able to pick up Strasberg and Wheeler for Cole.
    Why would all these players want to leave. The Yankees are like the Patriots, they are in a weak division and took advantage of it. Without the Orioles they may not have even made the playoffs,and they are going to suck for the next couple years at least. I'm hoping we get $4 Redskin tickets so you can afford to take the family to a game.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Other than the Orioles the East is generally a pretty strong division usually providing one of the wild cards and all the divisions typically have a dog team, Detroit was 10 games worse than the Orioles last year, Miami was also horrible. In 17 there were 6 teams worse than the Orioles.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Betances is already a free agent this year. He might not even be back for 2020. I'm sure they'll do what they can to give the younger players extensions or long-term deals. That seems to be their plan lately.

Tanaka, Paxton and possibly Happ could all be free agents after the 2020 season

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Other than the Orioles the East is generally a pretty strong division usually providing one of the wild cards and all the divisions typically have a dog team, Detroit was 10 games worse than the Orioles last year, Miami was also horrible. In 17 there were 6 teams worse than the Orioles.
    Absolutely.
    Last edited by ronmac; 12-11-2019 at 08:54 AM.

Sure, though from an AAV standpoint, Cole and Stras are going to earn about the same. It's only the years that make the difference. And Cole could opt out after year 5 if he thinks he can get a better deal (hard to imagine, but who knows...it just worked for Stras).

But yeah, this is the Yankees window. They know it. The rest of the league knows it.

On another note, it's nice to see several of the top FAs this offseason get signed in the first 6 weeks.

According to the MLBTR's list:

1. Gerrit Cole - Yanks
    2. Anthony Rendon
    3. Stephen Strasburg - Nats
    4. Zach Wheeler - Phillies
    5. Josh Donaldson
    6. Madison Bumgarner
    7. Yasmani Grandal - White Sox
    8. Nicholas Castellanos
    9. Hyun-Jin Ryu
    10. Jake Odorizzi - Twins
    11. Marcell Ozuna
    12. Didi Gregorius - Phillies
    13. Will Smith - Braves
    14. Dallas Keuchel
    15. Cole Hamels - Braves
    16. Jose Abreu - White Sox
    17. Michael Pineda - Twins
    18. Mike Moustakas - Reds
    19. Kyle Gibson - Rangers
    20. Tanner Roark

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    But then the Orioles cleaned house and became a high school team.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    But then the Orioles cleaned house and became a high school team.
    They still went 22-35 against the Rays, Sox & Toronto, hardly high school results.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    The playoffs are just a crapshoot. Cole does only a little to improve their chances to win a playoff series, IMO.
    I dunno about this, I think having a reliable ace is pretty important when it comes to playoff success

the idea of spending that money on a bunch of great relievers instead is intriguing, especially since those deals are easy to just make 2/3 years. but it's the Yankees, they can probably do both and besides there ain't a GM in baseball who cares what the salary situation is gonna look like in 2024
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    I don't think they *needed* to add a "star" pitcher anyway. They should go all-in on the bullpen thing and keep acquiring top relievers.
    Quote Originally Posted by JAMOOL View Post
    I dunno about this, I think having a reliable ace is pretty important when it comes to playoff success

the idea of spending that money on a bunch of great relievers instead is intriguing, especially since those deals are easy to just make 2/3 years. but it's the Yankees, they can probably do both and besides there ain't a GM in baseball who cares what the salary situation is gonna look like in 2024
    They have, arguably, the best pen in the league.

No 2019 starter threw more than 182 innings and only one starter (Domingo German) posted a WHIP (walks plus hits per inning pitched) of less than 1.2.

No 2019 starter threw more than 182 innings
    This surprises me, although I suppose it shouldn't. So the 2019 starters averaged what, between 5-6 innings per start? And would I be right in remembering that starters in 1969 averaged closer to 8 innings? If so, it makes me wonder: will that number continue to decrease, or are we towards the end of a pendulum swing that will see teams once again try to develop starters with perhaps less pure velocity, but more emphasis on placement and stamina? Seems like the lower the number of innings per start drops, the harder it's going to be to justify these outrageous salaries. And how will the inevitable incorporation of a non-human strike zone factor in?
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.