Page 28 of 55 FirstFirst ... 1824252627282930313238 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB 2019

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    Get in touch if you ever come to Boston and want to go to a game. Be happy to set it up! We'd have a great time! Have fun in London!

Bill
    Hell yeah
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I LOVE it that you guys hate them so much. It humors me.
    You're trying too hard.

There's very little of interest in this thread to get worked up about. I read through 30 days worth of comments in about 2 minutes because there's nothing of substance beyond everyone's daily updates. Even the smack talk is bush league - yawn.

It'd be nice to see some genuine baseball knowledge in here from the participants.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by per anporth View Post
    Travelling from Bruxelles to London on Saturday with my eldest - she is popping for her first ever Red Sox game (one day, I'll be able to to go to Fenway with her).

I have my old Wade Boggs t-shirt, from 1986 — "the next .400 hitter" - she has her Air Beni t-shirt...
    Sounds like a blast!

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    You're trying too hard.

There's very little of interest in this thread to get worked up about. I read through 30 days worth of comments in about 2 minutes because there's nothing of substance beyond everyone's daily updates. Even the smack talk is bush league - yawn.

It'd be nice to see some genuine baseball knowledge in here from the participants.
    Where do i get that genuine knowledge from? I think I need it. Go Sox!
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I’m sure you guys saw this, but just in case:
    https://blogs.fangraphs.com/weve-rea...o-many-homers/

Too many HRs? The ball has been proven to be more aerodynamic. There is less drag on it. The seams are lower. The ball is flying. So we’ve reached the point of too many HRs, right?
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Where do i get that genuine knowledge from? I think I need it. Go Sox!
    Ha. That did come out awkward. "genuine baseball discussion" is more what I should have said lol.

I'll start. So Brendan McKay is being called up for the Rays. He's a two-way player (Ohtani style). He's had an absolutely ridiculous pitching season in the minors this year (1.22 ERA) and is also a fair hitter. It will be interesting to see how often they use his bat since he's improved in AAA, but he could really help the Rays down the stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    I’m sure you guys saw this, but just in case:
    https://blogs.fangraphs.com/weve-rea...o-many-homers/

Too many HRs? The ball has been proven to be more aerodynamic. There is less drag on it. The seams are lower. The ball is flying. So we’ve reached the point of too many HRs, right?
    From my perspective, it tells part of the story. Beyond the baseball itself (which is certainly having an effect), strikeouts continue to increase as well. Balls in play keep going down. I almost feel like this is a reaction to analytics/shifts, etc., and now we have HRs, Ks, and walks.

Personally I don't like these developments at all, I like a well placed bunt or a nicely turned double play, with the move to strike out or hit it out the ball just isn't in play as much and the fielders can pretty much take a nap out there a lot of the time. It's frankly pretty boring. The ball is juiced, the parks are smaller & batters don't care about strike outs.
    Ian

I almost feel like this is a reaction to analytics/shifts, etc.
    I suppose piecing together what is actually going on means examining many factors. Attributing the power surge to just the balls or just analytics will probably involve some post hoc-y (if you will) logic. But I do think players noted the balls were flying farther and adjusted their swings (launch angles) accordingly because that's what the data (powered by AWS) were saying. And, yes, it turns out that hitting the ball out of the park is an easy way to beat the shift. And, yes, the power surge helps mitigate the strike out rate that has escalated because pitchers throw harder. (As an aside, how many guys from the '80s and '90s can you name that routinely hit 98-100 with their fastballs?) And, yes, HRs help teams win. So maybe there isn't a downside? Except . . .

[N]ow we have HRs, Ks, and walks.
    Three true outcomes ball.

I agree with Ian that this type of baseball is fairly boring. Can you imagine an entire line-up full of Joey Gallos? Ugh.

But I think baseball is in a bit of a catch-22. Should they do something radical (eliminate shifts? lower the mound?), something simple (un-juice the balls) or nothing at all and let the game correct itself?

The common misconception is that the analytical people (Fangraphs, SABR, Brian Kenny) want three true outcomes baseball or are somehow driving it, but anyone who regularly reads their blogs or watches MLB Now knows this is not true.

I'll start. So Brendan McKay is being called up for the Rays. He's a two-way player (Ohtani style). He's had an absolutely ridiculous pitching season in the minors this year (1.22 ERA) and is also a fair hitter. It will be interesting to see how often they use his bat since he's improved in AAA, but he could really help the Rays down the stretch.
    If there's a team out there that will figure out a way to make it work, it's the Rays. They sort of have to. It should be fun to watch how it plays out.

With the way Ohtani is hitting this year, is there any reason for the Angels to consider letting him pitch again?

You're trying too hard.
    Not sure WTF that's supposed to mean.

It's not like I haven't tried to get baseball discussions going. I am not one to post the daily updates. But, if there's something that's newsworthy that any fan would appreciate that happens to involve my team, I'll certainly share it. Even though the same few regulars have to add their tried knocks.

And I do find it humorous.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Not sure WTF that's supposed to mean.
    Speaking for myself, I wouldn't need a reason to hate the Yankees. I wouldn't have much choice as a Red Sox fan. But I actually really respect the organization, dedication, expectations, and many of the players.

I said last season they were one year away. Well this is the year. They SHOULD be where they are right now, so it's not really a surprise for me. I can't root for them, but I fully expect them to be there at the end. And the reality is, there really aren't a lot of Yankee naysayers. Would you not agree?

Yankee FANS? They're obnoxious. Change my mind.

It's not like I haven't tried to get baseball discussions going. I am not one to post the daily updates. But, if there's something that's newsworthy that any fan would appreciate that happens to involve my team, I'll certainly share it.
    Fair enough, let's keep the discussion going.

If there's a team out there that will figure out a way to make it work, it's the Rays. They sort of have to. It should be fun to watch how it plays out.

With the way Ohtani is hitting this year, is there any reason for the Angels to consider letting him pitch again?
    Interesting point. I certainly think they will have him pitch, but I could see him being converted to relief only.

Three true outcomes ball.

I agree with Ian that this type of baseball is fairly boring. Can you imagine an entire line-up full of Joey Gallos? Ugh.

The common misconception is that the analytical people (Fangraphs, SABR, Brian Kenny) want three true outcomes baseball or are somehow driving it, but anyone who regularly reads their blogs or watches MLB Now knows this is not true.
    It's a funny game, with funny fans and pundits. They are traditionalists, resistant to change, but are okay with the outcomes. Analytics created a new kind of small ball imo. It forced teams to react more strategically defensively and for coaches to play match ups based on statistics. But that's not sexy. Your average fan wants to see dingers and Ks.

My Twins need some pitching help - a burner in the bullpen and another ace for a starter. I know the front office is looking and they definitely have talked to the Giants about both Bumgarner and Smith. But who knows.

I hear talk about the three outcomes but see evidence against it all the time. Right now our biggest three outcome player, Sano, is in a tailspin. Meanwhile Nelly Cruz won a game the other night but just putting the damn ball in play and ending up with a double.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

And the reality is, there really aren't a lot of Yankee naysayers. Would you not agree?.
    I was referring to one in particular.

Yankee FANS? They're obnoxious. Change my mind.
    Yep, that one.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I was referring to one in particular.

Yep, that one.
    zing

Any thoughts about these international series, like the one going on this weekend in London? Do the Brits care enough about American baseball? Especially during the World Cup?

They'll show up as a recreational day out in the sun and have a couple of beers and enjoy the games. There's enough casual fans to fill the stadium as an 'event'. Will baseball ever challenge football (the real one), cricket, rugby, er no. Could a team based on London get enough fans? It'd probably be like Tampa Bay, only get crowds when the Yankees, Dodgers or Red Sox come to town.
    Ian

There's probably more than a few expatriates from the US who would die for some American baseball. Not to mention die-hard Red Sox and Yankee fans who would make the trip just to see the series in a foreign country.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

They'll show up as a recreational day out in the sun and have a couple of beers and enjoy the games. There's enough casual fans to fill the stadium as an 'event'. Will baseball ever challenge football (the real one), cricket, rugby, er no. Could a team based on London get enough fans? It'd probably be like Tampa Bay, only get crowds when the Yankees, Dodgers or Red Sox come to town.
    I think this is about right. People will come to this, but only as a curiosity and a nice day out. I think the NFL has more traction in the UK than MLB, there are actual fan-bases for various NFL teams and a lot more of a TV audience for that sport. Not sure London could really support an NFL team, and logistically I think this could be problematic, but there is actual interest. I think baseball has a very steep hill to climb to expand in another market, it just doesn't lend itself to TV like football does. But one-off events like this could gain some popularity.

Bill

Nice article about the history of baseball in England:

https://www.mlb.com/cut4/baseball-in...nating-history

Porcello did a good job taking one for the team today, put it out of reach early so they can get the game over with and hit the pubs lol.

Not so fast...
    Ian

Not so fast...
    Boy. You can say that again. This game is going to take six hours.