Page 1 of 55 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB 2019

MLB 2019

New year, new thread.

Six weeks until pitchers and catchers report!
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    In before it goes private.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Red Sox are World Series champs!!!
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Red Sox are World Series champs!!!
    Old news.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Subscribed!

Twins have a DH, 2nd base, and first covered. Now, back to pitching.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Here in the Phoenix area, spring training can be a traffic nightmare. I'm sure it's the same in South Florida, where the other half of the teams train.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Machado to NYY anyday now, I believe. Internet reports are flying around.

Quote Originally Posted by ledsox View Post
    Machado to NYY anyday now, I believe. Internet reports are flying around.
    Please, no.

Internet reports are unreliable and headline-seeking.

I'm thinking Manny is going to end up in Philly
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    That's what I'm thinking, too. And hoping.

Yankees signed Tulowitzki, which could be a good sign (to me, at least) that Machado isn't coming to New York.

I think the Phillies have a much better shot at Harper.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Yankees signed Tulowitzki, which could be a good sign (to me, at least) that Machado isn't coming to New York.
    There are plenty of opinions/articles/columns out there that spell out why this has no bearing on Machado to NY.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    There are plenty of opinions/articles/columns out there that spell out why this has no bearing on Machado to NY.
    Of course there are. While it might not, it also might. There are also many saying he'll sign with the Yankees, but nobody knows if they even made him an offer.

The Yanks brought Machado in for a pitch. Pretty sure they are very interested at the right price even if some fans aren't.
    I'd be surprised if Cashman goes into the season with always hurt Tulo and the butcher Andujar on the left side if the infield. As a Sox fan, I hope he does.
    I get the Manny hate. He's a jerk on the field but NY has the cash and a Manny has the game.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if the Yanks signed Machado. He's in his prime and an exciting player. I have a lot of respect for Cashman, so I expect there to be a good reason if he does or doesn't get it done. I personally think that there's too much talent to be had in baseball to tie up 30m+/year on any single player. But then again, if Machado is the guy to push a team over the edge that is *this close* to being in the WS this or next year, you pull the trigger if you're the Yankees.

On another note, I'm surprised the Yanks won't lower their price on Gray (whatever it actually is, it's reportedly high). The Yanks gave up three decent-ish prospects to get Gray, but since he's a FA after this season (iirc), the Yanks would be fortunate to get a package of a top 5 prospect and 1 other back for him. And as the clock ticks, his value just gets lower.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Phillies add Robertson on 2-year deal

Very talented and reliable reliever. Good luck to David Robertson. He'll be sorely missed in the Bronx.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if the Yanks signed Machado. He's in his prime and an exciting player. I have a lot of respect for Cashman, so I expect there to be a good reason if he does or doesn't get it done. I personally think that there's too much talent to be had in baseball to tie up 30m+/year on any single player. But then again, if Machado is the guy to push a team over the edge that is *this close* to being in the WS this or next year, you pull the trigger if you're the Yankees.
    I would still be surprised if they sign him. Reporting is that they are looking at a shorter contract than he is. So, there may have been no offer.

They have far too much talent already in-house, to waste all that money.

On another note, I'm surprised the Yanks won't lower their price on Gray (whatever it actually is, it's reportedly high). The Yanks gave up three decent-ish prospects to get Gray, but since he's a FA after this season (iirc), the Yanks would be fortunate to get a package of a top 5 prospect and 1 other back for him. And as the clock ticks, his value just gets lower.
    Apparently, 11 teams are interested in Gray. They are in no hurry.

Quote Originally Posted by ledsox View Post
    The Yanks brought Machado in for a pitch. Pretty sure they are very interested at the right price even if some fans aren't.
    I'd be surprised if Cashman goes into the season with always hurt Tulo and the butcher Andujar on the left side if the infield. As a Sox fan, I hope he does.
    I get the Manny hate. He's a jerk on the field but NY has the cash and a Manny has the game.

Andujar will get better. Jeter even made 22 errors in his first season. Andujar's upside is incredible. Remember, this is a guy whom they expected to be at AAA most of 2018. For a long time, he was their MVP.

There is a small-market team that is only one (#1) starter away from being favored to win the NL in 2019. Can they find him?
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    There is a small-market team that is only one (#1) starter away from being favored to win the NL in 2019. Can they find him?
    SONNY GRAY!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    SONNY GRAY!!!!
    Thanks but no thanks! The literal AND figurative definition of a gray area.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Dallas Keuchel but that's gonna cost ya, Geez

Dallas Keuchel but that's gonna cost ya, Geez
    He's washed-up.

Thanks but no thanks! The literal AND figurative definition of a gray area.
    He actually pitched quite well outside of the Bronx pressure cooker.

Kluber is available. Whatcha got?