Page 25 of 55 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB 2019

It would be nice if the Yankees could play the Orioles every day, especially Gary Sanchez and Gleyber Torres. Of Sanchez's 13 HRs, seven have come against the O's. Of Torres' ten HRs, eight have been against them.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Anyone else paying attention to what Mike Soroka is doing in Atlanta?
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    It would be nice if the Yankees could play the Orioles every day, especially Gary Sanchez and Gleyber Torres. Of Sanchez's 13 HRs, seven have come against the O's. Of Torres' ten HRs, eight have been against them.
    You don't get to play a high school team every day.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Anyone else paying attention to what Mike Soroka is doing in Atlanta?
    Intimately. I drafted him in my dynasty back in early 2017. Good for him.

Incidentally, I drafted Gleyber back in early 2015.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    You don't get to play a high school team every day.
    Gotta admit they're making the best of it. Tonight again.

In five games at Camden Yards, they have 19 dingers with six innings to go tonight to add to it.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Gotta admit they're making the best of it. Tonight again.

In five games at Camden Yards, they have 19 dingers with six innings to go tonight to add to it.
    Take advantage while you can before the pitchers learn to throw overhand. You only get three more games in August.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Take advantage while you can before the pitchers learn to throw overhand. You only get three more games in August.
    Well, they showed that they can beat the good teams too.

It's cyclical, provided the front office can keep their heads. Look at the Astros, look at what KC did. Even the Cubs finally managed to get it right. I was in the wilderness a long time with my Twins but it appears that glory days are here again.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Intimately. I drafted him in my dynasty back in early 2017. Good for him.

Incidentally, I drafted Gleyber back in early 2015.
    He’s definitely looked impressive (not hard with a 1.0 something ERA), but he’s also looked extremely confident and seasoned. He’s had shoulder problems, and any pitcher can get hot (Sean Newcomb of the Braves looked like a world beater this time last year), but I hope the Braves have found a top of the staff pitcher.

Now if only there were a closer they could grab ...

He’s definitely looked impressive (not hard with a 1.0 something ERA), but he’s also looked extremely confident and seasoned. He’s had shoulder problems, and any pitcher can get hot (Sean Newcomb of the Braves looked like a world beater this time last year), but I hope the Braves have found a top of the staff pitcher.

Now if only there were a closer they could grab ...
    Aren't they thinking of handing the closer job over to Newcomb? I suppose it's worth a shot.

Regarding Soroka, he's playing beyond his ability a bit right now, but he should settle in as a nice #3 starter (maybe a 2 even) if he can stay healthy. The Braves have so much talent in their system it will be curious to see what they do with the likes of Teheran.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    It's cyclical...
    For most teams

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Aren't they thinking of handing the closer job over to Newcomb? I suppose it's worth a shot.

Regarding Soroka, he's playing beyond his ability a bit right now, but he should settle in as a nice #3 starter (maybe a 2 even) if he can stay healthy. The Braves have so much talent in their system it will be curious to see what they do with the likes of Teheran.
    Luke Jackson attempted to close last night. It did not go well. It doesn’t look like they’re ready to let Newcomb go back to back.

Fried, Soroka and Folty could make a very good 1-3 (in whatever order). Teheran has been incredibly solid this year. The Braves don’t need much. An ace would be nice, but any of those already mentioned could (might) be that. A top flight catcher would be nice, but the McCann/Flowers platoon is more than nice. A closer is really the main concern. I think the rest of the ‘pen will settle nicely once they find their closer.

So I’m not sure what they might try to trade for, but they have a lot of depth they could move.

Not sure if any of you have seen the coverage about Robinson Cano slagging his way to first base and costing his team on two separate occasions. He made excuses and has been getting beat up in the NY press. He's always had a rep of being lazy. To me, his fielding style is very smooth and mistaken for being lackadaisical. But, he definitely drags his ass running to first.

So what happens today in the ongoing saga?

Robinson Cano pulls a quad muscle running to first base.

It’s the Mets. It’s a HOF 2B signed to a stupid contract. It’s a shitshow. Repeat ad infinitum.

There is a contagious stupidity and a ridiculously skewed & inaccurate world view in NYC that of course also permeates NYC sports. Forces many people to escape to reality after doing enough time in that lunacy (raises hand). Some people do indeed thrive in chaos and never leave Manhattan Island as well.

Sorry to anyone who doesn't agree, but I can honestly say that an "imo" isn't even required here.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    There is a contagious stupidity and a ridiculously skewed & inaccurate world view in NYC that of course also permeates NYC sports. Forces many people to escape to reality after doing enough time in that lunacy (raises hand). Some people do indeed thrive in chaos and never leave Manhattan Island as well.

Sorry to anyone who doesn't agree, but I can honestly say that an "imo" isn't even required here.
    My brother has been there since about '75 and still hasn't escaped. Although he has wanted to for at least 20 years.

The inability to escape NYC was the inspiration for one of my favorite Bill Murray movies: Quick Change
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

It’s the Mets. It’s a HOF 2B signed to a stupid contract. It’s a shitshow. Repeat ad infinitum.
    You just hate to see it.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

The Twins have 98 HRs in 49 games. They hit eight last night.

The Twins have 98 HRs in 49 games. They hit eight last night.
    Can't wait until they play the Orioles.

I was in my yard not long ago, doing some gardening. I saw some orange feathers on the ground that appeared to be from an oriole. I figured that damn neighbor's cat took out another bird. Then I realized it was probably suicide.

Twins are done with the Orioles for the season. But there's still plenty of red meat out there. The Angels and Mariners pitching staffs can breathe a sigh of relief; we get two games with Geezer's Brewers on Memorial Day and Tuesday. That should be more of a challenge.

2nd time this year the Twins have hit 8 in a game. Only did it once before in their history. Some team is going to hit 300 HRs soon. I thought the Yanks would do it last year. Injuries killed that.

Quote Originally Posted by ledsox View Post
    2nd time this year the Twins have hit 8 in a game. Only did it once before in their history. Some team is going to hit 300 HRs soon. I thought the Yanks would do it last year. Injuries killed that.
    No chance this year with Stanton on his third injury and Judge with no timetable for his return. Judge hasn't even started swinging a bat yet.

RIP Bill Buckner. I'm sorry that one play came to define his career and had such an impact on his life. But I do remember the feeling when I saw that play happen. It was like being sucker punched. I never held it against Buckner, but I know many did; and the Boston media was merciless. I'm glad he was welcomed back warmly when the Sox finally broke the curse in 2004.

Bill