Page 4 of 55 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB 2019

According to ESPN's Buster Olney, the White Sox have offered Machado seven years and $175 million, contrary to earlier reports.

The rumor mill grinds on.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Sad news in Reds land today. Hall of Fame radio broadcaster Marty Brennaman announced today that this will be his last year.
    He has been an absolute joy to listen to for the past 45 years. Truly one of the all time greats.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Sad news in Reds land today. Hall of Fame radio broadcaster Marty Brennaman announced today that this will be his last year.
    He has been an absolute joy to listen to for the past 45 years. Truly one of the all time greats.
    Agreed, and his son Thom ain't bad either.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Apparently, he felt "insulted" by the Mets' $60 million offer.

If only I could be so insulted.
    He also claimed that he wanted to raise the bar for max contracts moving forward and felt that the Mets’ offer did not do that. He claimed he felt a responsibility to, I guess, pay it forward for the next crop of catchers. Maybe?
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post

Definitely a legend. At least you get to say goodbye. We here in Philly lost Harry Kalas suddenly, and it was really a jolt. These guys are part of our lives.

Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    He also claimed that he wanted to raise the bar for max contracts moving forward and felt that the Mets’ offer did not do that. He claimed he felt a responsibility to, I guess, pay it forward for the next crop of catchers. Maybe?
    Hmm....
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Ottavino to Yanks on 3-year deal, sources say

Looks like they're done with their pen.

Now, let's get Spring Training started!!!
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Ottavino to Yanks on 3-year deal, sources say

Looks like they're done with their pen.

Now, let's get Spring Training started!!!
    Man, that is some kind of ‘pen they’ve put together.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Man, that is some kind of ‘pen they’ve put together.
    I was bummed when they lost Robertson. Now, it's whatever. They are a K machine.

I was bummed when they lost Robertson. Now, it's whatever. They are a K machine.
    Plus, I wouldn't be surprised if they're worried about Chapman holding up.

Looks like Sonny Gray might happen tonight?
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

^^ fingers crossed

Looks like Sonny Gray is going to Cincinnati. Reports are that the deal is done, and the Reds are trying to sign him to an extension.

An update on my girlfriend's son: He's been hired by the Reading Phillies (the Phillies' AA affiliate) to do video scouting. But only for their home games. So, he unfortunately will have to work part-time at the place he's worked the last two years. I was hoping he'd be hired full-time by a team, so that he could get away from where he's been, but this at least is a positive step.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    An update on my girlfriend's son: He's been hired by the Reading Phillies (the Phillies' AA affiliate) to do video scouting. But only for their home games. So, he unfortunately will have to work part-time at the place he's worked the last two years. I was hoping he'd be hired full-time by a team, so that he could get away from where he's been, but this at least is a positive step.
    Congrats to him!!!

I'm sure with patience he'll get the other foot in the door as well, Scott.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Congrats to him!!!
    I'm sure with patience he'll get the other foot in the door as well, Scott.
    Thanks for the kind words, gents.

I'm sure he will, too. And I'm really happy for him. I just know that he was counting on getting out of that place and taking that next step. But he'll get there. Meanwhile, looks like we'll be going to a lot of Reading games this year!

Congratulations. And any time spent at a minor league park is a good thing.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Nice.

Looks like Sonny Gray is going to Cincinnati. Reports are that the deal is done, and the Reds are trying to sign him to an extension.

Looks like it’s done and the Mariners got involved lol. It will be interesting to see how it works for the Reds over the next few years. I wonder if the Reds made most of their moves so that they’d have good trade fodder in July.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Looks like it’s done and the Mariners got involved lol. It will be interesting to see how it works for the Reds over the next few years. I wonder if the Reds made most of their moves so that they’d have good trade fodder in July.
    This is the first Reds trade this off season that makes sense.

Reds made a good deal. There is some risk with the extension, but if he pitches to his potential, it will be a steal.

Reds made a good deal. There is some risk with the extension, but if he pitches to his potential, it will be a steal.

This is the first Reds trade this off season that makes sense.
    Do you have any thoughts the Reds may be stockpiling for July? They really have only made about 5 moves this off-season: Roark, the Dodgers trade (Wood, Puig, Kemp - Bailey), Gray, not signing Hamilton, and not signing Harvey.

IIRC, all of these guys (Roark, Kemp, Puig, Wood) are free agents after this season, which makes them ripe for a July selloff. I can't imagine the Reds are in a great position to "go for it" in the Central when you consider that the Cubs, Cards, and Brewers are all likely to have winning seasons. One could even speculate the Gray extension was a gamble for a bounce back year. If he does really well, a 3/30m contract would be a no brainer for some contending franchises.

HOF votes are to be announced today. Will Rivera be the first unanimous inductee?