Page 9 of 55 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    The way I'm reading, he doesn't want the National League to adopt the DH, not that he doesn't want the DH to go away.
    I also think he's in the minority.

I bet if you ask the fans, his manager, GM and the Steinbrenners, they don't want him running the bases.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

We are doing a quickie long weekend trip to Florida this year and catching the Tigers / Phillies game a week from Sunday.

Yankees won’t be seeing Jacoby Ellsbury for a while

TAMPA — Spring training has barely begun, and Jacoby Ellsbury is already hurt.

The injury-prone outfielder is out with plantar fasciitis and won’t report to Yankees camp until next month...

Worst contract ever.

Actually, it's no surprise. The good news is that it makes more room for rookie Clint Frazier.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post

Actually, it's no surprise. The good news is that it makes more room for rookie Clint Frazier.
    He's just coming up now? Wow. Miller is already out of Cleveland, and the main piece in the trade going east is just starting his MLB career. Hard to think the Indians are regretting that one.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    He's just coming up now? Wow. Miller is already out of Cleveland, and the main piece in the trade going east is just starting his MLB career. Hard to think the Indians are regretting that one.
    Frazier had a concussion last year and lost pretty much the entire season. He would have had a ton of playing time last year with some of the injuries they had in the outfield. He's got a clean bill of health and is ready for 2019 and deserves a shot. This kid has talent and Cleveland will regret the move.

Ellsbury is a waste and still has two years plus a $5mil buyout. The team is actually best served with him on the DL with insurance paying his salary. If they release him they have to eat the entire contract.

This kid has talent and Cleveland will regret the move.
    Not a chance. They got to the WS, and probably wouldn't have without Miller, who for one year was about as dominant as I've seen a reliever be. They got to game 7 with a lead and went into extra innings. When you make a trade deadline move, this is exactly what you hope for. Not to mention they still controlled him for another 2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Not a chance. They got to the WS, and probably wouldn't have without Miller, who for one year was about as dominant as I've seen a reliever be. They got to game 7 with a lead and went into extra innings. When you make a trade deadline move, this is exactly what you hope for. Not to mention they still controlled him for another 2 years.
    But, they lost. And Miller got injured.

I think there's a good chance that Frazier will pay off better than Miller, especially in the long run. Assuming he stays healthy.

Pitchers and catchers are working out!

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I bet if you ask the fans, his manager, GM and the Steinbrenners, they don't want him running the bases.
    Yeah, but I don't care about any of those people.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Yeah, but I don't care about any of those people.
    Do you think they care about you?

Yankees just inked Luis Severino to a four-year deal at $40 million. Smart move for both.

Ask Robert DeNiro about the thin line between zealous fandom & psychotic obsession.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Ask Robert DeNiro about the thin line between zealous fandom & psychotic obsession.
    A podcast that I listen to recently did an episode on stalking, and remarked at how DeNiro so often plays a stalker. I think they got up to four or five different roles where he's stalking someone.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Damn those Bananarama ladies anyhow!

Game 7 of the '68 World Series at Busch Stadium.

Notice the natural grass. They didn't switch to turf 'til 1970.

Roger Maris is the hitter. His last game.

Appears to be Mickey Lolich on the mound and Bill Freehan catching.

^ After 2 deployments to the "sand boxes" I swore off all religion. Seeing this photograph I am moved to say yes Virginia, there are legitimate cathedrals of worship.
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

Twins get five year extensions for SS Jorge Polanco and RF Max Kepler (my wife's favorite player - he's a pretty boy). Bit by bit they are locking down their young core.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

You know, I think there is a story getting buried behind the one that's up in our faces all winter (Machado/Harper). I was discussing this with a friend recently. If you use MLBTR as a source, the vast majority now of any free agents that matter (the top 50) have been signed. It's just that - unusually so - 4 notable players have not been signed - Harper, Machado, Keuchel, and Kimbrel. If you go beyond that, the next "wave" of FAs not signed are Gio Gonzalez, Mike Moustakas, and Marwin Gonzalez. Beyond that, there are still FAs, but virtually all are not impact players.

Gio could be signed any day. Moose and Marwin are probably going to be signed after Machado and not for big money. It's really just these 4 guys.

But here is are a few interesting facts about the offseason:

- Only 1 FA contract was signed for longer than 4 years (Corbin).
    - Only 5 FA contracts had a value over 40m.
    - Only 1 FA contract had value over 68m (Corbin).
    - The largest extension to date (since April last year) is the recent Nola 4/45m

Owners seem to be trending in this direction as here's a few facts about last year:

- There were just 7 FA signings over $40m
    - The top 6 money signings were signed between Jan. 25 and March 20 last year.
    - 3 FA signings above $80m (JD, Hosmer, and Darvish)
    - Those 3 and Cain were the only ones with deals over 4 years. Hosmer with 8.
    - There were 3 notable extensions - Altuve 5/151m (wow), Blackmon 5/94, Eugenio Suarez 7/66 - they were all late in spring training

What's notable about both years is the limited number of contracts above $40m and above 4 years. I think while the article gets some things right, I think calling it a "freeze" because we've been talking about the same 2 guys for 4 months, doesn't put the focus where it belongs imo.

Also, it can't be lost (per the article) that Scott Boras is the agent for 3 of the top 4 AND Gio Gonzalez and Moustakas, as well as several of the late signings last season.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    But here is are a few interesting facts about the offseason:

- Only 1 FA contract was signed for longer than 4 years (Corbin).
    - Only 5 FA contracts had a value over 40m.
    - Only 1 FA contract had value over 68m (Corbin).
    - The largest extension to date (since April last year) is the recent Nola 4/45m

Here's where those FA numbers might be with those top four being signed.

- 4 FA contracts signed for longer than 4 years. (not Keuchel. Kimbrel is iffy, but included.)
    - 9 FA contracts had a value over 40m. (not Keuchel)
    - 4 FA contracts had value over 68m (Corbin). (not Keuchel)

Re: extensions, how have those numbers changed and what effect that brings. It seems more teams are locking up more young players.

I think that most front offices are now using advanced analytics (finally) in making their decisions, so they're all pretty much using the same data to reach the same conclusions.

This is hell for a guy like Boras, who wants to squeeze every nickel out of the market. The market just isn't there. Or, at least, it's not there the way it used to be.

Add into that the teams that really aren't interested in competing, and Boras really doesn't know how to navigate these waters. So, here we are, in stalemate for months and months.

MLB needs to address this whole thing, IMO. Shorten the FA period, or something. But this off-season has been a disaster, IMO.

Machado to the Padres for apparently 10/300m.

Machado has reportedly signed with the Padres. Ten years, $300 million.

C'mon, Phillies!

DAMMIT, COZY!!!

DAMMIT, COZY!!!

You can announce the Bryce to the Gritties.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post

You can announce the Bryce to the Gritties.