Thread: MLB 2019

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Don't forget Pappi
    We never do, man what a player.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I'm conflicted on Rose. I idolized him as a kid, and modeled some of my own (very modest) game after him. It was jarring to find out just what an asshole he is in real life.
    Ty Cobb was a bigger asshole.
    Orange is the new stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by AndiSexgang View Post
    I'm in and following the Red Sox, as I have done since the 80s. Who's to watch in the Red Sox roster this season?
    This is going to the first season in a while where the lineup will pretty much stay the same as it was last year. The farm system is pretty sparse, so there not much to watch there. But I'm curious how Rafael Devers will do this coming season. He's got a lot of talent and has shown moments where he's able to put it together. Also, whether or not Kimbrel returns, Matt Barnes and Ryan Brasier will get a chance to dominate late innings or fail spectacularly while trying.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

I don't spend energy on the HoF; baseball, football, or Rock 'n' Roll.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    We never do, man what a player.
    On steroids
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    I don't spend energy on the HoF; baseball, football, or Rock 'n' Roll.
    Cooperstown is the only one worth caring about.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

This is going to the first season in a while where the lineup will pretty much stay the same as it was last year. The farm system is pretty sparse, so there not much to watch there. But I'm curious how Rafael Devers will do this coming season. He's got a lot of talent and has shown moments where he's able to put it together. Also, whether or not Kimbrel returns, Matt Barnes and Ryan Brasier will get a chance to dominate late innings or fail spectacularly while trying.
    The pen was their weakness last year and they've done little to nothing to shore it up.

Dodgers get Pollock.

So another team out of the Harper running.

There's speculation that the Padres are in the hunt for Machado.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Dodgers get Pollock.

So another team out of the Harper running.
    Getting interesting as the initial rumors of $400 million seems to be down to $300 million. I wonder if teams are getting are going in a different direction and instead of wagering the future of the franchise on a player, they spend a fraction of that and invest in their farm system?

Not saying that Machado or Harper will turn into Chris Davis or David Wright, but the latter years on those 8-10 year deals are very rarely any good.
    Last edited by Tangram; 01-25-2019 at 01:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    The pen was their weakness last year and they've done little to nothing to shore it up.
    Yep. For me it's a matter of not wanting to hit the super duper luxury tax penalties. So they are stuck. I see the Sox making a trade at some point in the season (or even potentially before) to shed some salary, possibly Porcello or JBJ.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    Getting interesting as the initial rumors of $400 million seems to be down to $300 million. I wonder if teams are getting are going in a different direction and instead of wagering the future of the franchise on a player, they spend a fraction of that and invest in their farm system?

Not saying that Machado or Harper will turn into Chris Davis or David Wright, but the latter years on those 8-10 year deals are very rarely any good.
    I think the state of the league is in flux when it comes to players and their salaries. There's been some talk about a severe overhaul when it comes to the next CBA, but that's still 2 years away. The desire - as I understand it - is to compress the salary range. When you have guys making 500K and high WARs playing next to guys making 20M who aren't exponentially better, it's obviously not very fair, nor sustainable.

The trick is, of course, that agents/players want the floor raised but not the ceiling lowered and the owners want the ceiling lowered and not so much the floor raised.

But I think as long as a few teams are willing to pay 30M+ annual salaries, agents/players will try to get that amount. I was looking at some of the current examples...

The current hitting benchmark is the 13/325m contract of Giancarlo Stanton, the bulk of which the Yankees inherited which looks like it will average around 29m going forward through 2028. And because of the age of both Harper and Machado, it's no surprise their agents are using this as the comparable.

Some other 2019 salaries...
    Max Scherzer -7/210m, makes 37m in 2019.
    David Price - 7/217m, makes 31m in 2019.
    Mike Trout (who was extended) makes 34m in 2019.
    Stephen Strasburg will make 38m(!) in 2019.
    Kershaw's extension was short, but will make 31m in 2019.
    Cespedes will make 29m in 2019.
    Greinke 34.5m in 2019.

The Tigers get the prize though who still have to pay 154m to 36 year old Miguel Cabrera.

The Tigers get the prize though who still have to pay 154m to 36 year old Miguel Cabrera.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Yep. For me it's a matter of not wanting to hit the super duper luxury tax penalties. So they are stuck. I see the Sox making a trade at some point in the season (or even potentially before) to shed some salary, possibly Porcello or JBJ.
    Is there payroll currently low enough to avoid the highest tax penalty?

Is there payroll currently low enough to avoid the highest tax penalty?
    Here's a recent article I found...

The Red Sox’s 2019 payroll is at an estimated $238.8625 million, per our calculations at MassLive.com. So Boston would need to keep any contract for a reliever in the $2-3 million range if it has any chance of staying under the $246 million third tax threshold. The Red Sox also will need some in-season payroll flexibility to make trades.
    https://www.masslive.com/redsox/2019...terest-in.html

There's speculation that the Padres are in the hunt for Machado.
    I think it was only the Phillies and White Sox, for both Harper and Machado. Everything else is just noise from the agents, trying to get those two teams to outbid themselves.

Frankly, it's getting old.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

MACHADO SIGNS WITH THE TEXAS RANGERS!

( made ya look )

All kidding aside, it does look like these guys are going to have to settle for shorter contracts than what they originally set out for.

Since we are in a holding cycle before spring training and none of these big names are in any danger of being signed any time soon, y’all want to play a game?

What one move would you like your team to make before the season begins? Only rule is the move must be possible or, at least, plausible.

With eight players on the top 100 prospects, the Braves have got to get a trade for their next Maddux done now.

My wish move is Bumgarner. Braves package OF prospect Pache along with a few arms. I think he could help anchor the rotation while a few of those young pitchers mature.

What one move would you like your team to make before the season begins? Only rule is the move must be possible or, at least, plausible.
    The Phillies need to get at least one of Machado or Harper, preferably Harper. They have too much money to spend, and too much of a need on offense to let them both get away.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

^Surprised one of those moves haven’t been made. What’s the speculation in the Philly media?

^Surprised one of those moves haven’t been made. What’s the speculation in the Philly media?
    It's all rumor and speculation. I think the consensus is that the agents are just scraping to get every last dollar out of whoever signs them.

Since we are in a holding cycle before spring training and none of these big names are in any danger of being signed any time soon, y’all want to play a game?

Easy. Yankees DFA Jacoby Ellsbury. While it's plausible, it's not likely because they'd have to eat the contract, whereas, if it was health-related or an early retirement due to injury, insurance would step in.

With eight players on the top 100 prospects, the Braves have got to get a trade for their next Maddux done now.
    Apparently, some are reporting that the Braves are waiting on the sidelines of Machado/Haper and keeping an eye open.

I haven't read up on it enough to be honest, but what was Roger's "pick-me-up" of choice, was it just good old fashioned roids or what?
    Last edited by AndiSexgang; 01-27-2019 at 05:31 PM.

Pitchers and catchers in two weeks. Oh, be calm my racing heart.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart