Thread: MLB 2019

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    HOF votes are to be announced today. Will Rivera be the first unanimous inductee?
    There's always a few curmudgeons that have to vote no even on obvious choices just to kill the unanimous vote.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    There's always a few curmudgeons that have to vote no even on obvious choices just to kill the unanimous vote.
    Yep. Those idiots should have their voting rights removed.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

New year, new thread.

Six weeks until pitchers and catchers report!
    You guys are my heros! I love baseball its the sports version of Prog. I have decent season tickets for Wrigley if anyone needs any.
    Mark Monforti
    Co-Owner of Progrock.com
    www.ProgRock.com

600 + Podcasts here
    www.musicinwidescreen.com
    Live Shows Sunday 6pm-9pm CST Sundays @ ProgRock.com

Braves sign Nick Markakis to a one-year deal.

I guess they’re out of the Bryce Harper running.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Braves sign Nick Markakis to a one-year deal.

I guess they’re out of the Bryce Harper running.
    I wonder if they are ever going to sign these guys...

Harper, Machado, Keuchel, Kimbrel, and Pollock are 5 of the top 8 FAs this off-season. We're less than 10 days to February 1!
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Edgar Martinez, Roy Halladay, Mike Mussina and Mariano Rivera (100% votes) are going to Cooperstown.

^^ Congrats!! Nice to see Moose get in.
    "A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words."

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Very happy Edgar got in, is he the first DH?
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    The first since Frank Thomas.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Do you have any thoughts the Reds may be stockpiling for July? They really have only made about 5 moves this off-season: Roark, the Dodgers trade (Wood, Puig, Kemp - Bailey), Gray, not signing Hamilton, and not signing Harvey.

IIRC, all of these guys (Roark, Kemp, Puig, Wood) are free agents after this season, which makes them ripe for a July selloff. I can't imagine the Reds are in a great position to "go for it" in the Central when you consider that the Cubs, Cards, and Brewers are all likely to have winning seasons. One could even speculate the Gray extension was a gamble for a bounce back year. If he does really well, a 3/30m contract would be a no brainer for some contending franchises.
    This is a very possible scenario. You are right about those guys being free agents after this year. This club sorely needs a solid #1 starter. Their starting 8 will score runs.Sonny Gray and Luis Castillo give them a good #2 and 3 starters. Iglesia is a good closer. Gotta get a #1 hammer and some bullpen help before they can be taken seriously.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Quote Originally Posted by Brave73 View Post
    Edgar Martinez, Roy Halladay, Mike Mussina and Mariano Rivera (100% votes) are going to Cooperstown.
    Three out of four ain't bad.

^^ Congrats!! Nice to see Moose get in.
    I don't agree with him getting in at all.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Not the first, but definitely deserving and overdue.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    I wonder if they are ever going to sign these guys...

Harper, Machado, Keuchel, Kimbrel, and Pollock are 5 of the top 8 FAs this off-season. We're less than 10 days to February 1!
    The fact that these guys haven't signed yet has really cooled off the "hot stove league" and had tempered excitement and relevancy for this season. I'm not sure that MLB can (or even should) fix it, but I've seen a limited off-season signing period suggested. Not sure if that would help or not, though.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

^^ Seems like the market is demand-driven. Supply-side economics doesn't work, anyway.

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

I'm kind of disappointed in my Twins for not getting more help for the bullpen but the word is they think they have enough to stay near the top in a weak division and then acquire more arms in the July trades. At least we got the right side of the infield and the DH resolved.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

^^ Seems like the market is demand-driven. Supply-side economics doesn't work, anyway.
    A (much needed) market correction. Hopefully we’ll never see another player north of 30 get a ten-plus year contract.

Heck. Way things are going, Harper may have to consider a three or four year contract.

Oh. Before I forget, McGriff is definitely a HOFer. Ridiculous that he’s dropping off the ballot.

A (much needed) market correction. Hopefully we’ll never see another player north of 30 get a ten-plus year contract.

Heck. Way things are going, Harper may have to consider a three or four year contract.
    Yep.

Oh. Before I forget, McGriff is definitely a HOFer. Ridiculous that he’s dropping off the ballot.
    The elders will elect him.

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

Just saw a side-by-side comparison of Bonds and McGriff through the ‘94 season (Bonds was 29, McGriff 30). Bonds had more PAs, a slightly better OPS and a few less HRs (both in the 290 range).

What changed after 1994? Hmmmm ...

Just saw a side-by-side comparison of Bonds and McGriff through the ‘94 season (Bonds was 29, McGriff 30). Bonds had more PAs, a slightly better OPS and a few less HRs (both in the 290 range).

What changed after 1994? Hmmmm ...
    This is what happened:

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

I'm in and following the Red Sox, as I have done since the 80s. Who's to watch in the Red Sox roster this season? Oh and BTW, no HoF for Clemens, WTF!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AndiSexgang View Post
    I'm in and following the Red Sox, as I have done since the 80s. Who's to watch in the Red Sox roster this season? Oh and BTW, no HoF for Clemens, WTF!!!
    Clemens is in his own special HOF with McGwire, Sosa, Bonds, A-Rod etc..
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by AndiSexgang View Post
    Oh and BTW, no HoF for Clemens, WTF!!!
    1:40 to 2:23

He did not know that the sword he'd hold, would turn his priceless empire into fool's gold...

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

Pete Rose should get in before any of those clowns. And I always hated Pete Rose.

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Clemens is in his own special HOF with McGwire, Sosa, Bonds, A-Rod etc..
    Don't forget Pappi
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Pete Rose should get in before any of those clowns. And I always hated Pete Rose.
    Rose never "juiced", and I'd bet the farm that there is more than one guy already in the HOF who bet on games & just didn't get caught. I personally agree that Rose should be allowed in, and I also can't stand him personally. YMMV
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

I'm conflicted on Rose. I idolized him as a kid, and modeled some of my own (very modest) game after him. It was jarring to find out just what an asshole he is in real life.