Thread: MLB 2019

  1. #76
    According to ESPN's Buster Olney, the White Sox have offered Machado seven years and $175 million, contrary to earlier reports.

    The rumor mill grinds on.
    Orange is the new stupid.

  2. #77
    Member Lou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Cincinnati-ish
    Posts
    1,431
    Sad news in Reds land today. Hall of Fame radio broadcaster Marty Brennaman announced today that this will be his last year.
    He has been an absolute joy to listen to for the past 45 years. Truly one of the all time greats.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

  3. #78
    Geriatric Anomaly progeezer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    11,310
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Sad news in Reds land today. Hall of Fame radio broadcaster Marty Brennaman announced today that this will be his last year.
    He has been an absolute joy to listen to for the past 45 years. Truly one of the all time greats.
    Agreed, and his son Thom ain't bad either.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

    President Harry S. Truman

  4. #79
    Matt! polmico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    1,276
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Apparently, he felt "insulted" by the Mets' $60 million offer.

    If only I could be so insulted.
    He also claimed that he wanted to raise the bar for max contracts moving forward and felt that the Metsí offer did not do that. He claimed he felt a responsibility to, I guess, pay it forward for the next crop of catchers. Maybe?
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

  5. #80
    Member Lou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Cincinnati-ish
    Posts
    1,431
    Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Agreed, and his son Thom ain't bad either.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

  6. #81
    Studmuffin Scott Bails's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Near Philly, PA
    Posts
    4,156
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Sad news in Reds land today. Hall of Fame radio broadcaster Marty Brennaman announced today that this will be his last year.
    He has been an absolute joy to listen to for the past 45 years. Truly one of the all time greats.
    Definitely a legend. At least you get to say goodbye. We here in Philly lost Harry Kalas suddenly, and it was really a jolt. These guys are part of our lives.

    Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Agreed, and his son Thom ain't bad either.
    Agreed.

    Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    He also claimed that he wanted to raise the bar for max contracts moving forward and felt that the Mets’ offer did not do that. He claimed he felt a responsibility to, I guess, pay it forward for the next crop of catchers. Maybe?
    Hmm....
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

  7. #82
    Ottavino to Yanks on 3-year deal, sources say

    Looks like they're done with their pen.

    Now, let's get Spring Training started!!!
    Orange is the new stupid.

  8. #83
    Matt! polmico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    1,276
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Ottavino to Yanks on 3-year deal, sources say

    Looks like they're done with their pen.

    Now, let's get Spring Training started!!!
    Man, that is some kind of ‘pen they’ve put together.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

  9. #84
    Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Man, that is some kind of ‘pen they’ve put together.
    I was bummed when they lost Robertson. Now, it's whatever. They are a K machine.
    Orange is the new stupid.

  10. #85
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I was bummed when they lost Robertson. Now, it's whatever. They are a K machine.
    Plus, I wouldn't be surprised if they're worried about Chapman holding up.
    Orange is the new stupid.

  11. #86
    Moderator Poisoned Youth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Nothern Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,073
    Looks like Sonny Gray might happen tonight?
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

  12. #87
    ^^ fingers crossed
    Orange is the new stupid.

  13. #88
    Looks like Sonny Gray is going to Cincinnati. Reports are that the deal is done, and the Reds are trying to sign him to an extension.
    Orange is the new stupid.

  14. #89
    Studmuffin Scott Bails's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Near Philly, PA
    Posts
    4,156
    An update on my girlfriend's son: He's been hired by the Reading Phillies (the Phillies' AA affiliate) to do video scouting. But only for their home games. So, he unfortunately will have to work part-time at the place he's worked the last two years. I was hoping he'd be hired full-time by a team, so that he could get away from where he's been, but this at least is a positive step.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

  15. #90
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    An update on my girlfriend's son: He's been hired by the Reading Phillies (the Phillies' AA affiliate) to do video scouting. But only for their home games. So, he unfortunately will have to work part-time at the place he's worked the last two years. I was hoping he'd be hired full-time by a team, so that he could get away from where he's been, but this at least is a positive step.
    Congrats to him!!!
    Orange is the new stupid.

  16. #91
    Geriatric Anomaly progeezer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    11,310
    I'm sure with patience he'll get the other foot in the door as well, Scott.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

    President Harry S. Truman

  17. #92
    Studmuffin Scott Bails's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Near Philly, PA
    Posts
    4,156
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Congrats to him!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    I'm sure with patience he'll get the other foot in the door as well, Scott.
    Thanks for the kind words, gents.

    I'm sure he will, too. And I'm really happy for him. I just know that he was counting on getting out of that place and taking that next step. But he'll get there. Meanwhile, looks like we'll be going to a lot of Reading games this year!
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

  18. #93
    Member Jerjo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    small town in ND
    Posts
    4,138
    Congratulations. And any time spent at a minor league park is a good thing.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

  19. #94
    Moderator Poisoned Youth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Nothern Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,073
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    An update on my girlfriend's son: He's been hired by the Reading Phillies (the Phillies' AA affiliate) to do video scouting. But only for their home games. So, he unfortunately will have to work part-time at the place he's worked the last two years. I was hoping he'd be hired full-time by a team, so that he could get away from where he's been, but this at least is a positive step.
    Nice.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

  20. #95
    Moderator Poisoned Youth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Nothern Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,073
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Looks like Sonny Gray is going to Cincinnati. Reports are that the deal is done, and the Reds are trying to sign him to an extension.

    Looks like it’s done and the Mariners got involved lol. It will be interesting to see how it works for the Reds over the next few years. I wonder if the Reds made most of their moves so that they’d have good trade fodder in July.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

  21. #96
    Member Lou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Cincinnati-ish
    Posts
    1,431
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Looks like it’s done and the Mariners got involved lol. It will be interesting to see how it works for the Reds over the next few years. I wonder if the Reds made most of their moves so that they’d have good trade fodder in July.
    This is the first Reds trade this off season that makes sense.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

  22. #97
    Reds made a good deal. There is some risk with the extension, but if he pitches to his potential, it will be a steal.
    Orange is the new stupid.

  23. #98
    Member Lou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Cincinnati-ish
    Posts
    1,431
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Reds made a good deal. There is some risk with the extension, but if he pitches to his potential, it will be a steal.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

  24. #99
    Moderator Poisoned Youth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Nothern Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,073
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    This is the first Reds trade this off season that makes sense.
    Do you have any thoughts the Reds may be stockpiling for July? They really have only made about 5 moves this off-season: Roark, the Dodgers trade (Wood, Puig, Kemp - Bailey), Gray, not signing Hamilton, and not signing Harvey.

    IIRC, all of these guys (Roark, Kemp, Puig, Wood) are free agents after this season, which makes them ripe for a July selloff. I can't imagine the Reds are in a great position to "go for it" in the Central when you consider that the Cubs, Cards, and Brewers are all likely to have winning seasons. One could even speculate the Gray extension was a gamble for a bounce back year. If he does really well, a 3/30m contract would be a no brainer for some contending franchises.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

  25. #100
    HOF votes are to be announced today. Will Rivera be the first unanimous inductee?
    Orange is the new stupid.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •