Thread: MLB 2019

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    How does bad pitching affect run production?
    As we are seeing in the playoffs, you don't need a lot of runs to win with good pitching.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

If you're proud of it, I suppose you can.
    Hardly.
    His knee appeared to have given out. He's been in pain for years. It was pretty sad to watch.
    I had it on with the sound off, and wasn't really paying attention apart from enjoying the scoreboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    As we are seeing in the playoffs, you don't need a lot of runs to win with good pitching.
    Perhaps, but you still gotta be better than 22nd in runs scored.
    "A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words."

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    So what your saying is if the Orioles had the pitching they don't have then it wouldn't matter that they don't have the batting they would need.

R i g h t . . . . . .
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Apparently, it was CC's shoulder that gave out. He was removed from the roster today.

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

All "team rooting/preoccupation & obsession" aside from ANY MLB fan, if you don't think that CC Sabathia was a class act due a much better end to his (HOF IMO) career, what's wrong with you?
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

CC was a great pitcher and seems like a great guy/teammate but his career ended appropriately. He announced his retirement months ago meaning he knew his body could not do it much longer. He was right. I just saw his presser where he said it felt like his shoulder separated. He left it out there and he has no complaints.

CC was not only a true gamer, but he was liked in the dugout by pretty much everyone who crossed his path. He's one of the most respected players of his generation. Nobody can take that away from him.

Was he due a better end? I don't know what that means. And I'm not going bother with trying to decode the underlying sentiment. You, know, from my "preoccupied and obsessed fan' perspective, that is.

I see no better way to end a career than on one's own terms, which is exactly what he did. Would he have preferred a championship? Sure. He did get one, though, which is something a lot of other players can't say. And he was a playoff MVP that year, too. But, I'm sure that has no bearing on his feelings of self-worth or accomplishment. Does he have any regrets? I doubt it. At the end of the day, one has to feel that they gave their best shot. And he did.

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    So what your saying is if the Orioles had the pitching they don't have then it wouldn't matter that they don't have the batting they would need.

R i g h t . . . . . .
    So you're saying is the only way you can win with great pitching is if you have great batting. That's like saying if you have a great defense you can't win the super bowl unless you have a great offense. Stick with soccer and cricket.

So you're saying is the only way you can win with great pitching is if you have great batting.
    No, we're saying that you likely won't win if you have shitty hitting.

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

No, we're saying that you likely won't win if you have shitty hitting.
    Orioles- 729 runs
    Brewers - 769 runs
    Cardinals - 764 runs
    Rays -769 runs

Just think, if those three other teams with shitty hitting would of had great pitching they may have made the playoffs.

Orioles- 729 runs
    Brewers - 769 runs
    Cardinals - 764 runs
    Rays -769 runs

Just think, if those three other teams with shitty hitting would of had great pitching they may have made the playoffs.
    Run differentials

Orioles- -252
    Brewers - +3
    Cardinals - +102
    Rays - +113

"Would of"? Really?

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

Run differentials

Orioles- -252
    Brewers - +3
    Cardinals - +102
    Rays - +113

"Would of"? Really?
    You just made my point for me.

You just made my point for me.
    If the Orioles had pitching like the Astros,Nats or Dodgers they would have been playing Houston last night.
    Nice try, but no, they didn't have the same hitting. So, the premise is false.

Houston Team Average #1
    Nats Team Average #6
    Dodgers Team Average #10

Orioles Team Average #21

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

Saw that live, an usher rushed down & made him cover up, surprised they didn't throw him out, very funny.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Altuve crushed that ball. At least you will have two decent fan bases at the games.

Joe Buck makes a foul ball seem like a Grand Salami! Way too much hyperbole!

Congrats to the Astros. The better team won.

Go 'Stros.

FWIW, while the home plate umpiring was not a determining factor, is was a factor in this game. He SUCKED.

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

He did indeed
    Ian

Congrats to the Astros! It's always a good day when the Evil Empire is defeated.

Now I have a dilemma as I've been rooting for the Astros most of the year (especially after it became increasingly likely the Sox were not going anywhere), but have to show some local love to the Nats. Growing up in NW PA, we never had a "local" team and a lot of split loyalties. I moved to the DC area before the Nats did, so they are the only local team I have "adopted" in my life.

I think the series is completely up for grabs, especially if you factor in the underwhelming efforts of Verlander and Greinke in the playoffs so far. You still have to give the Astros the advantage. They have home field, they have been through this before, and they still have the best 1-2-3 rotation on paper.

That said, one could argue that the Dodgers were potentially the most significant hump for the Nats to get over and they did. They destroyed the Cards in short order. And while they could be bit rusty with a week off, it might be good news for their starting rotation. I think of each team's big 3, all but Max pitched 200+ innings before the season ended. That fatigue appears to be showing up. Verlander especially will not get the rest. (Maybe it would be a good idea for the Astros to save him for game 3).

It should be a fun series. I like most of the players on both teams, so I'll have to focus all my vitriol for Joe Buck I guess.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    I'll have to focus all my vitriol for Joe Buck I guess.
    Don't forget the umpires!
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

What is it about Joe Buck? - watching here in the UK, I agree, the only thing worse than Smoltz & Buck was Buck & McCarver. Buck just seems so portentous, & Smoltz is so dull. (The split screen cut away ads between pitches are unforgiveable.)

One thing about the magical run for the Red Sox last year was that it went some way to masking how poor a replacement for Don Orsillo Dave O'Brian is. Despite his unctuous efforts, he's got zero chemistry with either Eck or Remy. By contrast, when Remy & Eck are both in the box, their interactions are infectious.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Congrats to the Astros! It's always a good day when the Evil Empire is defeated.
    Similarly, as long as the BoSox, Indians and Dodgers lose and my team does better, it's good.

Not to sound dickish.

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

Similarly, as long as the BoSox, Indians and Dodgers lose and my team does better, it's good.

Not to sound dickish.
    Nice try.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.