Page 40 of 55 FirstFirst ... 3036373839404142434450 ... LastLast
Results 976 to 1,000 of 1351

Thread: MLB 2019

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    Sorry to hear about Yelich - he's had such a great season it'll be a shame for him not to be in the playoffs if the Brew crew make it.

Cubs just lost Javy Baez with a hairline thumb fracture. Possibly back for the post-season (if the Cubs make it).

It's a long-ass season and a real war of attrition.
    Ouch to both. Sorry to hear about this. Cards fans be like:

WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Bummed about Yelich, wanted him to get to 50 HR.

I guess I could try to look it up, but why was he "credited" with a strikeout when he didn't finish his AB? The count was 1-2, Grisham comes in and takes a called third strike, Yelich finishes 0-1. What if Grisham had it a HR, would that have gone to Yelich too? If he loses the batting title because of that one AB I'll be annoyed.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerhard View Post
    Bummed about Yelich, wanted him to get to 50 HR.

I guess I could try to look it up, but why was he "credited" with a strikeout when he didn't finish his AB? The count was 1-2, Grisham comes in and takes a called third strike, Yelich finishes 0-1. What if Grisham had it a HR, would that have gone to Yelich too? If he loses the batting title because of that one AB I'll be annoyed.
    They announced that if Grisham got on IN ANY WAY, the AB would be his, but an out would be Yeli's because of the 2 strikes.

That poses the question however, what if the count was 3-1 and Grisham took ball 4? Who gets the "walk" stat?
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    They announced that if Grisham got on IN ANY WAY, the AB would be his, but an out would be Yeli's because of the 2 strikes.

That poses the question however, what if the count was 3-1 and Grisham took ball 4? Who gets the "walk" stat?
    I wasn't watching/listening to the game, so thanks for clarifying, Geez. I think it's a strange rule; the batter who concludes the PA should live with whatever stat, as if the original batter never stepped up to the plate (imo).

What if a pitcher has two strikes on a batter (or three balls) and gets pulled, and the reliever throws one pitch to strike out (or walk) the batter, who gets the K (or walk)? I hope it's the reliever who gets the K (or the walk).

I know these situations are rare, but I just think it sucks that Yelich gets an 0-1 when he did not make an out.

From the truth is stranger than fiction department:

Yesterday the NY Mets won their game with 9 runs on 11 hits!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

Yankees' Edwin Encarnacion out with an oblique strain just a few days after returning from a broken wrist. I'm guessing he's done for the remainder.

Aaron Hicks is out for the remainder and possibly facing TJ surgery.

They just lost rookie surprise Mike Tauchman for the rest of the year with a calf strain earlier this week.

This is at least 30 trips to IL this year, a record they keep setting. Yet, they are looking at 100+ wins and have tied Minnesota for the MLB HR lead, as of yesterday, with only nine games from Stanton, a partial season from Judge and no Miguel Andujar.

My prediction: Al Manager of the Year will go to Aaron Boone. GM of the year (or whatever they call it) will go to Brian Cashman.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Reminds me of the time Andy Hawkins pitched a no-hitter and lost 4-0 to the Pale Hose.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Apparently J.A. Happ is now getting tests for tendinitis and Sanchez was replaced in the second game in Detroit. I'm hoping the latter was just to give him some rest and let the kid play.

Jeez.

On sale at Comerca Park in Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Apparently J.A. Happ is now getting tests for tendinitis and Sanchez was replaced in the second game in Detroit. I'm hoping the latter was just to give him some rest and let the kid play.

Jeez.
    Sanchez out with a groin injury. He had one before. Looks like they'll need to sit him in the hopes that he'll be ready in October.

It never ends.

That's three players lost just today.

The Orioles scored one run in the first with no hits.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Sanchez out with a groin injury. He had one before. Looks like they'll need to sit him in the hopes that he'll be ready in October.

It never ends.

That's three players lost just today.
    Never seen anything like it. Either Sanchez had his Wheaties and was feeling real good or Boone gave him the green light, but whoever thought it was a good idea to have the slowest guy on the team (apologize to Mike Ford) with a history of injuries try to steal, well that was a real bad case of vapor lock.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    Never seen anything like it. Either Sanchez had his Wheaties and was feeling real good or Boone gave him the green light, but whoever thought it was a good idea to have the slowest guy on the team (apologize to Mike Ford) with a history of injuries try to steal, well that was a real bad case of vapor lock.
    He had a green light because he was not being held.

I don't get it, either. Although, he has been running without issues. But, still...

Looks like we could have two teams with 300 HRs this year.

That's nuts.

In Saturday's doubleheader, the Twins laid to rest Cleveland's hope of regaining the AL Central title. And all without a starting pitcher. Hell, if not for one inning of lousy relief pitching, they would have won Sunday as well. Magic number is now nine.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Here's hoping the Rays beat Oakland in the WC. Then the Twins face and beat the Astros in round one. Then the Yankees face and beat the Rays. The Twins are a tough team, but I'd rather have my team play them than face Oakland or the Houston pitching staff.

Twins are not going to make it past that Houston staff. I'll be hanging on every second but I know it's not going to happen. We were predicted to finish no better than .500 by most so I will be happy with the division title and the hope that we buy some pitching in the winter.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Verlander and Greinke, barring something weird, I just don't see it.

Dellin Betances partially tears his Achilles tendon during his first appearance on Sunday, apparently during a small celebration after a strikeout.

Looks like his entry into free agency won't be much of an entry at all.

On the flip-side, Luis Severino had his debut last night and pitched four shutout innings. Hopefully, he'll hold up.

It looks like now that because of the schedule over the next 2 weeks that the Brewers have a distinct advantage IF (big IF) they don't blow it. While the Cubs/Cards still have 7 games to play against each other, every one of the Crew's remaining games are against sub .500 clubs which of course is no guarantee, but......

It looks like now that because of the schedule over the next 2 weeks that the Brewers have a distinct advantage IF (big IF) they don't blow it. While the Cubs/Cards still have 7 games to play against each other, every one of the Crew's remaining games are against sub .500 clubs which of course is no guarantee, but......
    And...the Cubs have to do it without Baez and Rizzo. Also and, speaking of no guarantees, last night the Cubs couldn't overcome a 3-spot the Reds put up in the first inning, despite Darvish striking out 13 after that. Also also and, this is the same team that put 55 runs on the board in their previous 4 games.

It's a nutty game sometimes, but the next week-and-a-half should be interesting in the NL Central.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Until Rizzo got hurt, I would say that MIL lost more with Yeli than the Cubs lost w/Javy (not by much, but most TV babblers agree).

Now I give the edge to the "Oh shit!" factor to the Cubs for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    And...the Cubs have to do it without Baez and Rizzo. Also and, speaking of no guarantees, last night the Cubs couldn't overcome a 3-spot the Reds put up in the first inning, despite Darvish striking out 13 after that. Also also and, this is the same team that put 55 runs on the board in their previous 4 games.

It's a nutty game sometimes, but the next week-and-a-half should be interesting in the NL Central.
    Darvish whiffed 8 in a row at one point
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Despite a valiant effort by the pitching staff to let the White Sox win, the Twins came back a few times and finally won it in the 12th. Magic number is down to 7. Cleveland would have to run the table at this point with the Twins losing series to Detroit and the Royals to regain the division.

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Darvish whiffed 8 in a row at one point
    ...and he struck out 14 in his previous start. He's been on fire for the last month.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.