Thread: MLB 2019

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Precisely why the first round of the playoffs should be seven games instead of five.
    I support that, but requiring a 4th win to advance instead of a 3rd win doesn't really have *that* much meaning, from the perspective of sample size. Anyway, I don't care about that nearly as much as the play-in game. IMO the play-in game is only defensible (and not even by that much) if the actual 4th and 5th best-teams are always in it. When the 3rd best or even 2nd best get roped into it, by virtue of weaker division "champs," it's ridiculous and flagrantly unfair.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    I support that, but requiring a 4th win to advance instead of a 3rd win doesn't really have *that* much meaning, from the perspective of sample size. Anyway, I don't care about that nearly as much as the play-in game. IMO the play-in game is only defensible (and not even by that much) if the actual 4th and 5th best-teams are always in it. When the 3rd best or even 2nd best get roped into it, by virtue of weaker division "champs," it's ridiculous and flagrantly unfair.
    I agree. But I do think a seven-game series has a better chance of the better team advancing.

That being said, I am no fan of six divisions in the first place, so I don't like the one-game WC playoff. I get why they do it, to keep more teams in the hunt. I just don't like it, because any one team can beat any other team on any given day. That's the nature of the game, but a one-game series doesn't support that.
    "A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words."

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

They need to have a computer robot look at the play reviews as well. When a runner beats a tag at the plate and they can't even see it on slow motion replay. Even the announcers said he was safe.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

So perhaps we are about to see the new normal unfold. There is no August revocable waivers trade system in place this year. But you can put any player on waivers. If that person gets claimed, the claiming team just takes on the player and current contract.

This just happened with Kevin Gausman. He was put on waivers by Atlanta, claimed by the Reds and Atlanta gets the salary relief.

Now it will be interesting to see who gets put on waivers and claimed through the month. For example Justin Smoak has about 2 million on his contract before becoming a FA next season. I could see him getting claimed by several teams if he’s put on waivers.

Thoughts?
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

The eons are closing
    I think some expensive underperforming relief pitchers could be had this way. Some may even be released by contenders who may prefer fresh cheap arms from their farm system over these "errors" <coughFamiliacough>

I personally like the one deadline, though 8/15 might be a better line in the sand.

What i do think is that due to the one deadline, MLB teams will start to stash MLB lower level vets even more often at AAA teams, especially relief pitchers.
    No one plans to take the path that brings you lower

“Nationals ace Max Scherzer, a hero to those with heterochromia of the eyes, was ‘BLUE EYE’ last year, so it stands to reason that he is ‘BROWN EYE’ this year.”

https://www.mlb.com/news/details-ann...layers-weekend

Oof. Let’s hope not!
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

As to the waivers thing, these acquisitions are not eligible for post season rosters, right? Not that it matters in Gausman’s case. (Somebody, by the way, should be able to convert Gausman to an excellent reliever. He only has two pitches, but one of them is a pretty good split that can get guys out.)

Not sure how much salary the Braves has tied up with Gausman, but I don’t see this turning into a salary dump thing. I guess we’ll see.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

The eons are closing
    I believe the waiver pickups are postseason eligible.

Ex: if Joe Panik clears waivers, plenty of teams have an interest as a lefty bat / utility guy. He would be a FA and if added to major league roster would be eligible for playoffs.

I still think 8/30 is cutoff for that.

Man, Gleyber Torres simply owns the Orioles. He just hit his third dinger of the day (double-header), which gives him 13 against the team for the season -- a new divisional era record. This kid is the real deal.
    Last edited by ronmac; 08-12-2019 at 09:52 PM.

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

Man, Gleyber Torres simply owns the Orioles. He just hit his third dinger of the day (double-header), which gives him 13 against the team for the season -- a new divisional era record. This kid is the real deal.
    If only the Yanks could play the O's every other week Torres is the real deal but his numbers vs the AAAA Orioles are staggering.

This kid is the real deal.
    Speaking of, Reds recent rookie call up Aristides Aquino just set a Major League record last night, hitting his eighth home run in his first 12 games!
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Speaking of, Reds recent rookie call up Aristides Aquino just set a Major League record last night, hitting his eighth home run in his first 12 games!
    Yeah, that's pretty crazy stuff. Just when Phil Ervin could have gotten his shot, this guy comes along!

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    If only the Yanks could play the O's every other week
    They'd have 150 wins.

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

Looks like the Bosox might not make it to the post-season.

Hell, at this rate, they might have a losing season.

Will they ever Repeat?

Thoughts and prayers to their fans.

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    "We'll be back next year"

If the punishment for winning the WS is to miss the play-offs the next year I think we'd all sign up for that deal.

2004, 2007, 2013, 2018, not too shabby.

WS wins since 2004

Boston - 4
    Giants - 3
    Cards - 2
    Astros - 1
    Cubs - 1
    Royals - 1
    Phillies - 1
    White Sox - 1
    Yankees - 1
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post

If the punishment for winning the WS is to miss the play-offs the next year I think we'd all sign up for that deal.

WS wins since 2004

Boston - 4
    Giants - 3
    Cards - 2
    Astros - 1
    Cubs - 1
    Royals - 1
    Phillies - 1
    White Sox - 1
    Yankees - 1

The Red Sox are the indisputable team of the 21st century by far.

Looks like the Bosox might not make it to the post-season.
    FWIW, I've been saying this for a while. When they spanked the Yankees before the trade deadline, it gave them a spark of hope. But unlike Facelift, I knew they didn't have it this year from a pitching perspective and lacked the funds to go after it.

Yankees fans shouldn't be happy that they might have a losing season, they should be happy that they did well enough around the deadline to not sell off some trade chips before the deadline. Now they are stuck - like they have been all year. Nobody listened to me, but they did exactly what I thought they would all season long.

If they are smart long term, they will trade Mookie in the offseason, maybe JBJ, and even consider waiting for J.D. to opt in or out. Their minor league system needs work. I'd put Porcello on waivers today, clear up $4m if someone wants to take the risk. Some of the dead money will be gone after 2019, more after 2020 (Castillo, Sandoval, Pedroia).

Even though it's far from perfect, a base rotation of Sale, Price, E-Rod, and Eovaldi will do more good than harm typically. They have a solid core on offense with Xander, Devers, Benintendi, Chavis, and some side pieces. But they need some salary relief and a boost to their minors system if they want to contend in the next few years.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    100% agree, as a local in the area you could see the way this season was going from about a quarter of the way in.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

The eons are closing
    Like i said to Cozy upthread, the BoSox should have sold enough salary to qualify for revenue sharing like Royals and O's then invested all that $ into either farm system or mlb ready pieces.

Now its too late to move either way.

WS wins since 1918

Boston - 4
    Fixed that for ya.

FWIW, Dumbrowski will be gone before any players.

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

FWIW, Dumbrowski will be gone before any players.
    It wouldn't surprise me.

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    Like i said to Cozy upthread, the BoSox should have sold enough salary to qualify for revenue sharing like Royals and O's then invested all that $ into either farm system or mlb ready pieces.

Now its too late to move either way.
    Yep. Dombrowski is notorious for gutting a team's prospect pool. It did directly correlate into a WS win (Sale, Kimbrel) this time. But now what? Interesting though that most of the prospects that have been traded have not contributed on an impact level in MLB yet.

https://bosoxinjection.com/2018/09/3...browski-deals/

November 13, 2015: Red Sox acquire Craig Kimbrel from the Padres for OF Manuel Margot (finally emerging), LHP Logan Allen (not much so far), SS Javier Guerra, IF Carlos Asuaje

July 14th, 2016: Red Sox acquire Drew Pomeranz for RHP Anderson Espinoza (TJ)

December 6th, 2016: Red Sox acquire Tyler Thornburg from the Brewers for 3B Travis Shaw (he really regressed, but last year everyone was SMH), SS Mauricio Dubon, RHP Josh Pennington, SS Yeison Coca

December 6th, 2016: Red Sox acquire Chris Sale from the White Sox for IF Yoan Moncada (finally emerged), RHP Michael Kopech (TJ - but still could be a #1, #2), OF Luis Alexander Basabe, RHP Victor Diaz

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    The Red Sox are the indisputable team of the 21st century by far.
    The Sox were the team of the 20th century too by 1919, then something happened...
    OK cheap shot. It is really going to be tough for teams to have dynasties with all of the player movement.

Giants are right there though! :3
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Yeah, that's pretty crazy stuff. Just when Phil Ervin could have gotten his shot, this guy comes along!
    Ervin is excelling when he gets his opportunities. Could be that Jesse Winker could find himself as the odd man out by the end of the season.
    Ervin, Senzel, and Aquino would make a formidable outfield. (at least at this moment)
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence