Page 32 of 55 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334353642 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB 2019

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I just heard that they are experimenting with stealing first base in some minor league games. Any time a ball gets past the catcher, the batter can try to make it to first.

How dumb is that? It's not like every field has the same foul territory dimensions.

MLB needs to get their shit together. Instead of stupid gimmicks, how about making it safer and more affordable for families to go to a game?
    Ronmac for commissioner!

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    Ronmac for commissioner!
    I could use the money, but I would piss off far too many people.

Some have suggested Bob Costas, who, I think, would be a great choice.

It is nice to see some teams making the move to extend netting to the foul poles, despite the commish's reluctance.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

^^ No, I don't see you as being combative at all.

I have seen numerous terrible calls just in the last week or so. Some absolutely did affect the game. I'm referring to pitches that were four inches outside, for example. And it wasn't Hernandez, either.

Not sure who it was, but there was a Yankees game the other day where the 1B ump blew three or four calls. Luckily, they were overturned.

I would rather not lose the human element of real umps. I'm willing to accept some mistakes. But, there needs to be more accountability. I know there's some, isn't there?
    Well Barrett, who had some of the worst numbers last year, umped the World Series, so maybe there’s not much.

As to missing balls and strikes, it seems to happen most frequently when the pitcher misses his spot. I wonder if data exist to support this.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

What the hell are the Orioles thinking. The past two games they scored twenty runs, that's no way to get the #1 pick in next year's draft.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Raised a plastic cup of cold Coca~Cola in honor of 'Geezer as I attended the Brewers vs. Diamondbacks game this evening. Brewers won, thankfully! Here's to you, progeezer!

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Raised a plastic cup of cold Coca~Cola in honor of 'Geezer as I attended the Brewers vs. Diamondbacks game this evening. Brewers won, thankfully! Here's to you, progeezer!
    Thanks!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

O's pitched a one hit bunt single to the catcher shut out. That's no way to get the #1 pick next year. What made it easier was they were hitting against the pitcher they just traded to Boston. Chris Davis even went one for three with an RBI.

^^ You're assuming the number 1 pick will sign with them???
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

^^ There are no John Elways anymore. Everything is about the $$$.

Wow, just wow! What a game in Minnesota last night. Game of the year so far.

If those teams meet in October, it could be an epic series.

Wow, just wow! What a game in Minnesota last night. Game of the year so far.

If those teams meet in October, it could be an epic series.
    I was following the score on the internet. Neither team will make it past the first round if they don't get some bull pen help.

The eons are closing
    I dont need to see five hour playoff games that begin at 815pm due to Fox. Thats shitty baseball regardless of the greatness of any individual play during the game.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

The eons are closing
    Maybe it was discussed up thread but IMO the single rule change for 2020 that will ruin baseball is the mandatory three batter rule for pitchers.

Some reliever in a playoff game in a high leverage situation will have a bad two first batters (like double walks) and instead of a manager taking out a guy who obviously may not have 'it', that manager is forced to wait and the game series championship is won because some idiot on park ave is trying to undo the damage LaRussa did 30 years ago and that Gregory Peccary is actually making the game worse

I am no fan of the LaRussa style of managing your bullpen, but at least the game decisions are in the managers hand. Now, not so much IMO with that rule change.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Yankees and twins just finished a three-game series in which 20 home runs were hit.

That's just not right.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Agreed - not a fan of that at all
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Yankees and twins just finished a three-game series in which 20 home runs were hit.

That's just not right.
    Seemed like the MLB version of slow pitch softball where to balls are flying out and the and the teams were seemingly scoring almost at will. On the whole, it was ugly

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    Maybe it was discussed up thread but IMO the single rule change for 2020 that will ruin baseball is the mandatory three batter rule for pitchers.

Some reliever in a playoff game in a high leverage situation will have a bad two first batters (like double walks) and instead of a manager taking out a guy who obviously may not have 'it', that manager is forced to wait and the game series championship is won because some idiot on park ave is trying to undo the damage LaRussa did 30 years ago and that Gregory Peccary is actually making the game worse

I am no fan of the LaRussa style of managing your bullpen, but at least the game decisions are in the managers hand. Now, not so much IMO with that rule change.
    Definitely don't like the 3 batter rule. Hope it gets voted down. Want to fix the game? First, make a ball that doesn't says Titleist on it. Second, expand the strike zone up above the belt. And choose between, moving back some of the fences and raising the mound.

The game is evolving because of all the changes that are making home run hitting easier. And not in a good way.

Tanaka-haha. Last 4 innings vs Red Sox-- 18 runs allowed.

Last 3 games Yanks have allowed 38 runs. Of course they won 2 of them. Still, I think GM of the year Cashman has some work to do.

Quote Originally Posted by ledsox View Post
    Tanaka-haha. Last 4 innings vs Red Sox-- 18 runs allowed.

Last 3 games Yanks have allowed 38 runs. Of course they won 2 of them. Still, I think GM of the year Cashman has some work to do.
    He must be nervous. The BoSox are only TEN games out.

At the end of the day, it's only one game. Tonight could easily be 3-2. That doesn't mean they don't need to bolster their rotation. Right now, they could use two starters. And there's a lot of season to go

I didn't watch a whole lot of the game for obvious reasons. I wonder how long it was until the BoSox fans started their "Yankees Suck!" chant. They tend to do that when the BoSox go ahead. My only question would be, if the Yankees suck, what does that say about their team?

We suck!
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

The O's may suck as a team,but they are going into MLB history books this year.

"Even after a postgame beer shower from his ecstatic Baltimore Orioles teammates, Stevie Wilkerson was shocked to learn he had just become the first position player in major league history to earn a save. Wilkerson also became the first player in major league history to start and earn a save in the same game.
    The Orioles center fielder certainly couldn't believe he did it by throwing a perfect 16th inning way past midnight with a bunch of tepid lobs that never topped 56 mph."

Maybe the Yankees can use him as a closer.
    Last edited by Shadow; 07-26-2019 at 02:29 PM.

He needs a couple more pitches. That fast ball is gonna ruin his elbow.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Orioles set a major league record with multiple home runs in their 10th straight game. Is this the greatest team to ever walk onto a baseball diamond or what.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Orioles set a major league record with multiple home runs in their 10th straight game. Is this the greatest team to ever walk onto a baseball diamond or what.
    what.

Where be all da Yankee fans?
    Ian