Page 30 of 55 FirstFirst ... 2026272829303132333440 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    RIP to Angels pitcher Tyler Skaggs, just 27 years old. Cause of death not yet released, but so young and entering the prime of his career.
    So very sad. He just pitched over the weekend.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Of course. So NFL and MLB are now playing in the UK. I still can't get used to it. What's next, the NBA?
    The NFL had an exhibition game (Broncos vs Chargers) twenty years ago in Australia. I was working there at the time and the team was looking for something to do. I'm thinking Australian rules football, cricket or rugby and I couldn't believe it when the NFL game was playing. Since most of the team was from Denver, we saw the NFL exhibition game. Really didn't need to travel halfway around the world to see that, but it was funny watching the reaction of the locals watching a game they had never seen before.

Skaggs was a member of the unofficial "SoCal boys" that would hang out from time to time in the off-season. They interviewed fellow SoCal boys Yelich, Moustakas & Braun last night and they were pretty shook.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Any thoughts about how to change the HR derby to attract the best players? It seems a number of them (smartly) don't want to participate, based on injury histories from it. I think it's waaaaay too long. I don't see it surviving like this much longer.

Maybe they should all hit from the same pitching machine and get a limited number of pitches. Then you add some points for longest, hardest, hang time, closest to targets, etc.
    Nothing?

I think MLB will be forced to make some changes. There are very popular players not participating.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Maybe it's more of an attraction for the people actually attending the game, but after last year, watching the camera watch Bryce Harper watch himself in the mirror for way too long, as a spectator I'm out.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

I turned on the O's/Tampa Bay game in the top of the ninth tied 3-3 with one out and the O's with a man on second. Then I think Tampa Bay put the Keystone Cops on the field because the O's scored six runs. You had to see it, I couldn't begin to describe it. Then I changed channels figuring the game is over. After about fifteen minutes I turn back for after game and it is 9-6 with runners on first and third with two outs. Luckily the second pitcher they brought in struck out the tying run.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

^^ Hey, thanks for that. It put the Yanks up by a hefty 6.5 games.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

There is only ONE starting pitcher in the NL with 10 wins and also several other stats in the top 10, and unless there's a last minute injury or something else, Brandon Woodruff got snubbed (props to Giolito of the ChiSox for his 11 wins in the AL).

Not just imo, but most of the tv mouths as well think there are 2 pitchers that Woody should have been named ahead of (don't remember who specifically).
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    There is only ONE starting pitcher in the NL with 10 wins and also several other stats in the top 10, and unless there's a last minute injury or something else, Brandon Woodruff got snubbed (props to Giolito of the ChiSox for his 11 wins in the AL).

Not just imo, but most of the tv mouths as well think there are 2 pitchers that Woody should have been named ahead of (don't remember who specifically).
    Cashner from the O's is 8-3 with a 4.05 era. On a good team would he have 10-11 wins. Means is 5-7 with a 2.5 era, second best in the American league. On a good team he could be the best pitcher in the AL.

Mancini got shit on. I guess they didn't want two all stars from the worst team in baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Mancini got shit on. I guess they didn't want two all stars from the worst team in baseball.
    Henry?
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Henry?
    Boom Boom

Watching the cardiac Marlins@Braves. We're in it.

And.....we won. I'll take it.

I bounced back and forth between the HR derby and some other shows last night. Man, what a terrible broadcast by ESPN.

Comments from the booth aside, the semi-final round between Vlad jr and Pederson was relentlessly entertaining.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Does anyone actually call a game anymore on the major networks?

I turned off the awful Joe Buck and Fox's silly microphoned outfielder interviews to see if the ESPN radio broadcast is any better. Those guys are talking about how much Verlander sleeps at night and 1980s movies.

Does Joe Buck ever stop talking to breathe?

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I'm playing music with the game on in the background on mute.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I can't believe the AL manager didn't pitch the two best starting pitchers just to put in the Indian pitchers, of which one almost lost the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    I can't believe the AL manager didn't pitch the two best starting pitchers just to put in the Indian pitchers, of which one almost lost the game.
    That usually depends on whether they have upcoming starts or just recently had one. Sometimes, their own manager requests that they not pitch.

Nice to see Chapman get the save and Tanaka get the win.

Not sure if anyone already posted this, but I thought it was pretty funny (sorry, Ed)

https://sports.theonion.com/norfolk-...rio-1835884994

Quote Originally Posted by Gerhard View Post
    Not sure if anyone already posted this, but I thought it was pretty funny (sorry, Ed)

https://sports.theonion.com/norfolk-...rio-1835884994
    They do suck.

“Crews started work this week to extend the protective netting to the foul poles at Guaranteed Rate Field and were expected to complete the project Wednesday, ahead of the Chicago White Sox's next home game July 22.”

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...-pole-pole-net

About time. The Nats are doing this, too. Hopefully the rest of the league follows.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.