Thread: MLB 2019

Watchin' Phillies/Marlins.

Cheezuz this London game is a joke.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Ridiculous
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I wanna know why they are playing in England. It's an exhibition.

"broadening the global appeal of the brand"
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Good luck with that one.

A wild one for sure. Par for the course with these two teams, but a bit bloated.

FWIW, there's no talk of a London-based team. This is more about developing more feeding grounds for the international pool. Europe is uncharted territory for scouting and development.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Tomorrow's score will be 2-1.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Of course. So NFL and MLB are now playing in the UK. I still can't get used to it. What's next, the NBA?

The Orioles became the first team in Major League history to record back-to-back shutouts while scoring at least 13 runs in each game, according to Elias Sports Bureau. They are going to set all kinds of major league records this year,both good and bad. They lead the American league with most first inning home runs.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Final score: Giants 17, Patriots 13.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Good Lord, I just saw the final score of Saturday's Phillies/Marlins. I figured that one was an L for us. We got a resounding W.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Final score: Giants 17, Patriots 13.
    Proof that Brady is getting old. He couldn't lead them on a late touchdown drive against the lowly Giants.

You'd think if MLB went to the extent to have games in Europe they would send competent umpires.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    You'd think if MLB went to the extent to have games in Europe they would send competent umpires.
    Do they have any?
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Or pitchers!
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Yeah, but there have easily been 15-20 terrible calls form behind the plate.

I'll start. So Brendan McKay is being called up for the Rays.
    Brendan McKay’s debut? It was ...

169BFE98-0B47-432D-AADB-37C4519BCB0C.jpg
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Jeezuz, Phillies 10, Marlins 2.....:Lol

We'll come roaring back. You'll see....

So, some impressions from the London Series...

The balance was around 70%/30%, maybe even 75%/25% US to UK fans. Most of the UK fans were already Red Sox or Yankees fans. I suspect there will have been few, if any, converts.

The tickets were grotesquely overpriced. I paid £850 for a total of four tickets, two for each day. On neither day did we sit in premier areas, by any stretch.

Catering was predictably overpriced, & dismal.

Fans were forbidden, in advance, from bringing any drinks (or food) into the stadium, but were promised "plenty" of water fountains to fill up empty bottles. The heat in the stadium on Saturday was sweltering, & brutally humid. Turns out "plenty" actually meant one fountain every 100 metres or so - at no point, at no fountain, throughout the whole game, was there a queue of less than 50 people to be found. Filling up took over over 20 minutes. And the stadium ran out of reserves of bottled water.

The mood was - if my friends on here from across the waters will forgive me - crass Americana bloated large. Every opportunity to thump out some mindless music, have a mindless bobblehead race, or indulge in some mindless singalong (watching 70-75% of the crowd performing some sort of dance routine to YMCA was beyond absurd - a kind of living embodiment of cognitive dissonance), or the absolute nadir, fight over free t-shirts fired into the crowd by air cannon.

The baseball itself was pretty dismal - the small boundaries, the atmosphere in the stadium, jet-lagged pitchers...on & on the hits & home runs went, over 9 hours of pantomime baseball.

The Yankees look ready. I think the ALCS will be a match-up between them & the Astros, & I think it will be just as intense as the Red Sox-Astros last year. A Yankees-Dodgers WS seems a not unlikely conclusion to the season (although the Yankees still need their starting rotation bolstering).

The Red Sox look played out. A combination of the Post-WS offseason, a worryingly flat year for Betts (& Benintendi), the bust flush of Eovaldi, & the overperforming bullpen finally, crushingly, collapsing from within, mean the post-season will be without Red Sox this year.

And if Yankees fans are obnoxious in general, they crank the obnoxiousness up to 11 when they're on their holidays. I thought Brits abroad were excruciating...

(This was about as far away from Fenway, in spirit as much as in miles, as you could possibly imagine - MLB didn't do the World Series winners any favours by scheduling the 11 game West Coast road trip to open their season, & then calling this a "home" series - about the only home benefit for the Red Sox was Wally - the mascot, not the bullpen jokers!)
    Last edited by per anporth; 06-30-2019 at 05:32 PM.

^^ no offense taken. None of this surprises me one bit.

If anything, this series perfectly illustrated the game's two biggest problems today: too many home runs, shitty officiating.

Can't say I'm not happy with the outcome, though.

Quote Originally Posted by per anporth View Post
    So, some impressions from the London Series...
    Thanks for the very insightful review! Hey, Freddie Mercury won the bobblehead race, so not all was lost!

Any thoughts about how to change the HR derby to attract the best players? It seems a number of them (smartly) don't want to participate, based on injury histories from it. I think it's waaaaay too long. I don't see it surviving like this much longer.

Maybe they should all hit from the same pitching machine and get a limited number of pitches. Then you add some points for longest, hardest, hang time, closest to targets, etc.

Thanks for the very insightful review! Hey, Freddie Mercury won the bobblehead race, so not all was lost!
    Henry the 8th won the Sunday race.

RIP to Angels pitcher Tyler Skaggs, just 27 years old. Cause of death not yet released, but so young and entering the prime of his career.