Page 14 of 55 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Thor seems rather unhappy with the team.
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Maybe he wanted to move across town. There was talk.
    Probably distracted by trying to choose between Jane Foster and the Lady Sif.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Doesn't everyone, even if they've never played baseball, want to be a Yankee??
    As a matter of fact, no.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Thor should move to the Twins. Y'know, he'd be in a state where folks could pronounce a common name like his, you betcha.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Thor should move to the Twins. Y'know, he'd be in a state where folks could pronounce a common name like his, you betcha.
    When I moved from the right coast to Wisconsin in 1971, it took me a year before I knew that "come here once" just meant "come here" in "ya you betcha" speak.

Do you Dakotans also throw in the "once" to make sure that you ask someone to "come here" without using English? I seem to recall Frances McDormand doing that in Fargo.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

That "once" is purely a Wisconsin thing. It disappears at the border. I understand it came from German immigrants. Yah, sure.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

And so it begins...
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Happy Opening Day, everyone!!!
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

HERE WE GO!!!!!!!!!
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

No work this afternoon. I'll be watching baseball.

It's nice to be self-employed.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

The eons are closing
    Enjoy the peak optimism all! [emoji16]
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Go Red Sox!
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

This is the silliest time of year when all the so-called baseball experts weigh in with their predictions.

What's even funnier is when the players make them.

It's similar to last year in many respects. The Astros, Yankees, and Dodgers seem to be getting the lion's share of the WS predictions. The Red Sox and Nationals behind them.

I don't necessarily disagree, but I think it's fair to believe the Astros, Yankees, and Red Sox can remain the top 3 AL teams this year. It's also fair to speculate that the Indians will win that division as long as it remains on the weak side and their rotation stays healthy. So it's really a matter of which team in the AL can break through.

In the NL, I think the Dodgers predictions are a bit much. The Nats could indeed improve on last year. I think NL East and especially the NL Central are completely up for grabs. I was surprised to see such a lack of diversity in selections in the NL that I saw because you could take about 8 teams and say "why not?".
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

If you're an analytics person (I'm too old and set in my ways to change), the Red Sox and Ronmacs notwithstandng, most tv yappers are calling the NL Central top to bottom the best division in baseball now.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    If you're an analytics person (I'm too old and set in my ways to change), the Red Sox and Ronmacs notwithstandng, most tv yappers are calling the NL Central top to bottom the best division in baseball now.
    I believe this as well, and I'm looking forward to seeing whether the Cubs' choice to not make any big roster moves and hope instead for a return to health and form for several players translates to wins.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Here are the Projected Win totals per the metrics at the Fangraphs site. 18 teams projected to finish .500 or better.
    d- division winner

Yanks 97 d
    Astros 96 d
    Red Sox 94 wc
    Dodgers 93 d
    Indians 92 d
    Nats 90 d
    Cubs 88 d
    Phillies 86 wc
    Cards 86 wc
    Mets 85
    Rays 84 wc
    Braves 84
    Brewers 83
    Twins 82
    A's 82
    Angels 82
    Rockies 81
    Reds 81

They had the Yanks ahead of the Sox last year too.

To say the Brewers will win 13 games less than in 2018, given that their roster is better than a year ago (yeah, they need one starter, but only one, and I have a feeling they'll address that) is imo objectively ridiculous.

Wow, Brewers drop 12-13 games from last year, hope that doesn't happen. I haven't followed much off season activity, so not sure what they changed. I did hear they lost Erik Kratz, that's a big blow. Seriously, I liked that guy, hope he does well in San Fran.

As a Machado-hater, I like the Pads finishing below .500.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ledsox View Post
    Here are the Projected Win totals per the metrics at the Fangraphs site. 18 teams projected to finish .500 or better.
    d- division winner

Yanks 97 d
    Astros 96 d
    Red Sox 94 wc

They had the Yanks ahead of the Sox last year too.
    I think they are contractually obligated.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I was looking up the 1990 Reds a few minutes ago and came across this line....

Cincinnati Reds owner Marge Schott, who was drunk at the time,
    No need to quote the rest just sums up how wild that season was, wire to wire and all that.

Anyway, watching Bucs/Reds and there's a logo on the mound I don't recognize. I'm assuming it's a really old Reds logo as this is the 150'th year of the team but I can't remember ever seeing it before. Anyone with thoughts on this one?
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Quote Originally Posted by Gerhard View Post
    Wow, Brewers drop 12-13 games from last year, hope that doesn't happen. I haven't followed much off season activity, so not sure what they changed. I did hear they lost Erik Kratz, that's a big blow. Seriously, I liked that guy, hope he does well in San Fran.

As a Machado-hater, I like the Pads finishing below .500.
    I liked Kratz a lot as well, and think that his clubhouse/dugout personality was as important as his bat & his great arm to the Brewers success last year, but signing Yasmani Grandal rendered him a lock to go. It was obvious that the team loved him, as they played the hell out of him late in spring training (especially at DH) hoping that something good would happen for him, and it did. Pina moves from starter to #2, so a definite upgrade at the position.

The Tigers are tied for first place in the AL Central...........probably the only time all season I will be able to say that...........

One game into the season and we're at the first off day. Already, I feel the withdrawal.

I understand MLB is not pleased with this film

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    The Tigers are tied for first place in the AL Central...........probably the only time all season I will be able to say that...........
    As are the Royals. Definitely the only time all season...