Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Banco del Mutuo Soccorso - Darwin - 750,000 Anni Fa...L'Amore?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I'm bummed about missing a lot of great NEARfest performances, but never having seen Banco is a hard one to accept.

for me, Banco rank 2nd behind PFM... but I'm not just talking Italian! I mean for all Symph Rock period. 3rd would be Camel (and Crimso if one were to consider them part of Symph Rock)
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    They do have a fix (after they had several ones) vocalist now with Tony D’Alessio.

But I guess the new album will be two thirds instrumental.

It is also co written by Nocenzi Jr. (Michelangelo).

Some part of the album played on Piano only.

The title of new album will be Transiberiana and is scheduled to be released later in April this year.

Quote Originally Posted by markellos View Post
    The title of new album will be Transiberiana and is scheduled to be released later in April this year.
    Hi, where did you get the Information from?

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I'm very fond of both their debut (though somewhat marred by bad production values) and Di Terra as well, and I think Garofano Rosso is an underrated work with some truly colourful sonorities and melodic experiments at play. It gets far too little attention, probably because of its 'soundtracky' nature (which of course was fully intentional, as parts of it were indeed written for the screen)..
    I'm giving Garofano Rosso a spin now. Anyone overlooking this one because it doesn't have Francesco is missing out on some wonderful things indeed. I love it when Rodolfo picks up his French horn, not to mention Gianni's contribution on clarinet.

Keep meaning to see the movie, too. I think it's on Youtube.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    Hi, where did you get the Information from?

Hi, I received directly from the band and I see it's been confirmed in November issue of Prog Italia magazine. I don't remember the exact date, Apr 26th?

Quote Originally Posted by markellos View Post
    Hi, I received directly from the band and I see it's been confirmed in November issue of Prog Italia magazine. I don't remember the exact date, Apr 26th?
    Cool, Prog Italy seems to be much better than Prog U.K. (although I think they ain't connected any more).
    Sadly my Italian is way to poor to properly read it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    I'm giving Garofano Rosso a spin now. Anyone overlooking this one because it doesn't have Francesco is missing out on some wonderful things indeed. I love it when Rodolfo picks up his French horn, not to mention Gianni's contribution on clarinet.
    I confirm. Excellent indeed. So many beautiful ideas thrown in there, those were truly the years of inspiration for Banco.

But di Terra, I don't know. I wasn't really excited about that. I need to revisit.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    But di Terra, I don't know. I wasn't really excited about that. I need to revisit.
    You do that, and check out Canto di Primavera as well, in which their earlier sound takes a more relaxed and prominently jazz-infused turn. In a way it's Banco's very own Jet Lag and, to me, their last truly good studio offering.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    You do that, and check out Canto di Primavera as well, in which their earlier sound takes a more relaxed and prominently jazz-infused turn. In a way it's Banco's very own Jet Lag and, to me, their last truly good studio offering.
    The problem is I don't listen to music after '76. Unless the pay me...

Whatever Skullhead is paying you to only listen to music from before 1977? We'll double it - IF you promise only to listen to music composed on a laptop on Tuesdays, Thursdays and during Lent also on Fridays.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    Whatever Skullhead is paying you to only listen to music from before 1977? We'll double it - IF you promise only to listen to music composed on a laptop on Tuesdays, Thursdays and during Lent also on Fridays.
    Your ognna pay, pay? Ok then!

Regarding that song...I'll never forget Nearfest 2001...Banco played one of the best concerts you'll ever see. So now it's encore time and and Franco and Vittorio come out to perform that song...most bands save their rockinist roof raisers for the encores. yet they still brought the house down with an amazingly emotional performance... still among the greatest moments in my long concert seeing career.

Quote Originally Posted by Lino View Post
    Regarding that song...I'll never forget Nearfest 2001...Banco played one of the best concerts you'll ever see. So now it's encore time and and Franco and Vittorio come out to perform that song...most bands save their rockinist roof raisers for the encores. yet they still brought the house down with an amazingly emotional performance... still among the greatest moments in my long concert seeing career.
    I recall phoning my wife at the dinner break...just witnessed After Crying and was totally blown away. I was telling her how my dream of seeing Banco live could be tempered by the previous band. Absolutely NO CONTEST!! They were better than my wildest dream!
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by adap2it View Post
    I recall phoning my wife at the dinner break...just witnessed After Crying and was totally blown away. I was telling her how my dream of seeing Banco live could be tempered by the previous band. Absolutely NO CONTEST!! They were better than my wildest dream!
    I was fully impressed with Banco live but After Crying is a band on my bucket list. I wish I was lucky enough to have seen After Crying, love their music.

Good Day on a Friday!

Hello Mr. Astley, Lino... There certainly was some stellar years at NEARfest. Banco, Porcupine Tree, Birdsongs of the Mesozoic, After Crying - and that was just four bands from the 2001 edition. I remember how much joy that Mr. Astley had after that Banco set. After Crying was indeed spectacular!

As much as I too enjoy the 'usually talked about' Banco releases... di Terra gets a huge head nod from me as well!

2001 ~ THAT is getting to be a long time ago.

Carry On
    Chris Buckley
    Last edited by winkersnufs; 01-04-2019 at 03:32 PM.

Rush Hemispheres?

Quote Originally Posted by yesstiles View Post
    Rush Hemispheres?
    Uhm… He was being kinda ironic. And there arguably are a few better bets from after '76.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

The Science Group - Spoors?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick L. View Post
    The Science Group - Spoors?
    That's one of ca. 537 I can think of in the spur of the moment. Just for proggy-prog, I mean.

Symph nodes, lymph nodes.

Right on. Banco were always more about nymphobrainiac than lymphomaniac.

Roly-poly fish nodes.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Eat them up. Chum!

Quote Originally Posted by adap2it View Post
    Banco was great at NF 2001, but to my memory were even better at Prog Fest in 2000. Maybe it was just the excitement of seeing them the first time, but I recall that show as being particularly killer. Also at NF the snare was mixed way too high for a period of time. They eventually corrected it, but it was pretty distracting for a while.

There's also been some discussion of the later 70s Banco albums. Count me as a big fan of all their stuff up to and including Canto di Primavera, which does bear some similarities to PFM's Jet Lag. Garofano Rosso is also a super album, very pleasant on the ears but with deceptive depth in some spots. Possibly my favorite "Sunday morning with coffee" album. Come in un'ultima cena is also top notch, though possibly just a click down from Darwin and Io Sono Nato Libero.

But for me, nothing from this period tops Di Terra, my vote for the best integration of rock band with "classical" instrumentation. Odd that one of my favorite Banco albums doesn't feature Francesco, but this one is just sooooo good. Stuns me afresh every time I spin it.

I love those first five PFM albums, but for me Banco has the very slight edge. Tons to explore in that classic catalog.

Bill