Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Boom or Bust?

2018 Boom or Bust?

Cruised the 2018 Best of Thread and saw strong opinions both ways:

YodelGoat laments- "I commented back in August how I could not see one 2018 album that I had bought or was planning to buy. 2 days from the end of the year, and I am still coming up blank. First year since I can remember I did not buy a single new release - let alone enjoy it. I think I may pick up the Spocks Beard, but wow, 2018 was a bust for me. Listened to a lot of new stuff, just nothing lit me up."

moecurlythanu chimes in- "I bought more releases from the current year than any in many a while. I'd rate it as the strongest year in yonks, but as I didn't buy a lot in prior years..."

NogbadTheBad reflects on 2018- "It's been another good year for me, bought around 50 new releases of which around 30 were good. Of those I'd say 5 were great, Far Corner, Koenji Hyakkei, Piniol, Alec Redfearn & VAK."

Me? Personally I feel 2018 was off slightly. But I'm a huge Italian fan and 2018 was an off year for the Italian subgenre...except for Daal who most folks classify as "eclectic prog". Maybe that's the crux of biscuit? 2018 saw me buy more RIO/Avant-Prog and Eclectic then years past. In my opinion 2018 was a banner year for RIO/Avant-Prog. The PE best of lists are flush with examples. I'd could also argue 2018 was a good year for RIO/Avant-Prog's polar opposite... "Crossover prog". My crossover pile of discs grew substantially with releases from: Phideaux, 3rdegree, Gleb Kolyadin, Vier, Southern Empire, Sunchild, Kayak, and Bomber Goggles. Was it my imagination or was it an off year for prog metal and folk?

Good year- Bad year, sounds like I'm discussing wine. As if RIO/Avant-Prog were a dry cabernet and crossover was a sweet white Moscato d’Asti. Perhaps the wide variance of PE opinion comes down to prog sub genres?

Or maybe a significant number of the PE membership gravitate towards the RIO/Avant and largely ignore subgenres like Electronic?

I don't pay as much attention to subgenres like Tech Metal, Electronic, and Psychedelic. In 2018...Which subgenre's flourished or disappointed?

I think if someone can’t find something that was released in 2018 that they want to listen to, that, ultimately, in one form or another, they are no longer really interested in hearing new things. For whatever reason or reasons.

With no disrespect meant, but meant as commenting on the gigantic amounts of new music available.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I bought a boatload of great music that appealed to me in 2018. For a while, it was hard to keep up! There were quality releases from across the board, genre-wise... IMO.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Very good year. Especially for avant-prog type stuff. I listened over 160 new albums and bought about forty (over hunder if old releases are counted).
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Quote Originally Posted by Crawford Glissadevil View Post
    Me? Personally I feel 2018 was off slightly. But I'm a huge Italian fan and 2018 was an off year for the Italian subgenre...except for Daal who most folks classify as "eclectic prog". Maybe that's the crux of biscuit? 2018 saw me buy more RIO/Avant-Prog and Eclectic then years past. In my opinion 2018 was a banner year for RIO/Avant-Prog. The PE best of lists are flush with examples. I'd could also argue 2018 was a good year for RIO/Avant-Prog's polar opposite... "Crossover prog". My crossover pile of discs grew substantially with releases from: Phideaux, 3rdegree, Gleb Kolyadin, Vier, Southern Empire, Sunchild, Kayak, and Bomber Goggles. Was it my imagination or was it an off year for prog metal and folk?

Good year- Bad year, sounds like I'm discussing wine. As if RIO/Avant-Prog were a dry cabernet and crossover was a sweet white Moscato d’Asti. Perhaps the wide variance of PE opinion comes down to prog sub genres?
    I wouldn't use journalistic "sensationalism" such as "boom or bust" as the premise of the thread (just being picky here). I think it's a matter of "how does 2018 measure up to recent years".

But your idea about breaking down by musical styles is interesting because you'd probably get quite a few varied opinions and perhaps some recommendations of albums you have missed.

Speaking for myself, I'd say this...

Symph/3rd Wave, etc. - average, nothing special
    RIO/avant - yeah, pretty solid year
    Indie/pop/alternative - disappointing, though I'm open to hear what I missed
    jazz-fusion - didn't look very hard
    Jazz - average
    Fringe jazz - if you cast a wide net, pretty strong

But in my opinion, one of the real tests is "how many albums on your best of list are from either new artists or "new to you"? If I go based on that, I'd say it's below average. Out of the 35 I listed, only a handful would qualify. Arguably even something like "All Traps on Earth" gets its launching pad from its Anglagard cred.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    I think if someone can’t find something that was released in 2018 that they want to listen to, that, ultimately, in one form or another, they are no longer really interested in hearing new things. For whatever reason or reasons.

With no disrespect meant, but meant as commenting on the gigantic amounts of new music available.
    I agree. I wouldn't put it exactly how you wrote it, but I think calling 2018 a "bust" would be more an indicator of limitations with the listener than the music itself. Or in the case of the inevitable Skullhead rant, an agenda.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

In my world there hasn't been a "bust year" since like 1986. Those were lean years for traditional progressive rock fans (of course metal and even avant prog were doing quite well then). There's just too much stuff to keep up with. I buy less every year, only in that I try to listen to what I already have! But when I do buy new things, I'm generally pleased. It seems the last 25 years have generally been fantastic, and the choices endless.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post

But in my opinion, one of the real tests is "how many albums on your best of list are from either new artists or "new to you"? If I go based on that, I'd say it's below average. Out of the 35 I listed, only a handful would qualify. Arguably even something like "All Traps on Earth" gets its launching pad from its Anglagard cred.
    Good question, if I discount "All Traps On Earth" (Anglagard) and "PinioL" (PoiL & ni and highly anticipated) there are only 2 new discoveries to me in my top list Anna von Hausswolff & Zwoyld.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

^^^^^^^

Fine!

Call it an indicator of limitations of the listener. That’s all I was saying / was trying to say.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

^^^^^^^

Fine!

Call it an indicator of limitations of the listener. That’s all I was saying / was trying to say.
    I know. I was just expounding on it.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I think Steve F. is correct, and I think one important possible limitation is how much more "stuff," be it physical or digital, a listener wants to accumulate. This year more than any other I was trying not to accumulate too much more because I just have enough music for now. Box sets are appealing because it's harder for them to get lost in the collections, and Bandcamp releases are pretty easy to manage as well. But I've been trying to avoid individual CD releases where possible - I did get some.

I guess I see my lifetime music buying as a bell curve, and I'm on the downside of the bell right now. There's probably no going back up. It'll be interesting to see what other artists go for the box set thing going forward. I'd buy the shit out of a nice Pendragon box set. But I'd also buy the shit out of a nice Univers Zero box set.

IMHO

2018 was loaded with awesome new music, lots of new discoveries as well as strong returns from a few familiar favorites.

But in truth, I was looking outside of prog rock. Very little prog lit my world afire this year.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I think Steve F. is correct, and I think one important possible limitation is how much more "stuff," be it physical or digital, a listener wants to accumulate.
    That's a completely reasonable thought and a completely reasonable thing, especially for older folks with sizable collections, but it doesn't change the fact that this is - as Cozy said - an indication of the limitation of the listener, not the quality of the music being offered.

I'd also posit that it is also further evidence of what unlimited free/almost free/nearly free music does. It cheapens the entirety of recorded music and can overwhelm the potential listener to the point where it's simply easier to ignore it ALL.

IMO.
    Last edited by Steve F.; 12-30-2018 at 03:06 PM.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

But I'd also buy the shit out of a nice Univers Zero box set.
    don't get your hopes up.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    ^^^^^^^

Fine!

Oh I 100% agree with you Steve, I've listened to a ton of music this year, bought a lot, and still don't feel I've done justice to what I bought, there's just SO MUCH out there these days and its tough to know what to check out and what to skip.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    That's a completely reasonable thought and a completely reasonable thing, especially for older folks with sizable collections, but it doesn't change the fact that this is - as Cozy said - an indication of the limitation of the listener, not the quality of the music being offered.

I'd also posit that it is also further evidence of what unlimited free/almost free/nearly free music does. It cheapens the entirety of recorded music and can overwhelm the potential listener to the point where it's simply easier to ignore it ALL.

IMO.
    Yeah, I think that's all true. Once you're overwhelmed, you may have reached a saturation point. It's like living in a candy store. Eventually, you've probably had enough candy. Or have enough in a pile that you don't need to look at the shelves again.

don't get your hopes up.
    No, I'm not!

Banned
    I don’t even remotely have the time to listen to stuff that’s been out there for decades. Most of what I discover (and buy) is old in fact. So for me it’s like occasionally taking a teacup to a waterfall to discover new music. That’s where I find PE most useful.

Given the scarcity of time, I’ve tried to make an effort to get out and see live music this year and have probably done so more than I have in the past 30 years. Unfortunately finances, work and family make it difficult to go to Big Ears, RIO etc. but I hope to change that.

Also, working on my own musicianship has taken priority over listening.

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    IMHO

2018 was loaded with awesome new music, lots of new discoveries as well as strong returns from a few familiar favorites.

But in truth, I was looking outside of prog rock. Very little prog lit my world afire this year.
    So, you little traitor to the Prog, where are your 2018 suggestions? (and I mean the non-prog ones, a couple of which you can find in my best of list).

2018 has been a Great year for music discovery.
    Both in terms of New music ( published in the past 12 -24 months ) and discovery of old ( 70's -90's ) and newer old stuff.
    I have found the time to listen to what I have purchased, and while some would scoff at my methodology, I have covered a wide swath of music.
    From the awesome Art Zoyd box, various newgrass artists, post-rock manifestos, to a big drink from the Ital Prog firehose.
    I can't wait to see what 2019 brings.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Box sets are appealing because it's harder for them to get lost in the collections
    But not harder for them to get lost in the mail.

I completely agree. Not just for 2018, but for any year actually.

As I said in the Top 2018 thread , I tend to think this year is the second best since the millenium: how do I calculate that?
    Well simply by the number of albums I am willing to cram in my top XX from year XX list ... and more important, how many will I rate a Gnosis 11 or above (I know we're not supposed to go above 11 the first year of release) and above 10.

Note to self: I must still housekeep and update those Gnosis2018 ratings of mine.

I'll take Cozy's breakdown by subgenre:
    Symph/3rd Wave, etc. - above average is my first guess - but again thanks to the Scandics
    RIO/avant - as usual a year
    Folk-derived - not many, but I like what I heard (Dyble, Tunng, Gryphon, etc...)
    Indie/pop/alternative - does that even exist anymore... I didn't even hear Muse's latest
    jazz-fusion - I wish the new london scene (the Shabak protégé crowd) was slightly miore prolific... expected much/many, but didn't come through
    Jazz - average; even slightly disappointing

I agree. I wouldn't put it exactly how you wrote it, but I think calling 2018 a "bust" would be more an indicator of limitations with the listener than the music itself. Or in the case of the inevitable Skullhead rant, an agenda.
    Indeed, one has to be hearing-impaired if he cannot find something this year to like0

Quote Originally Posted by ashratom View Post
    In my world there hasn't been a "bust year" since like 1986. Those were lean years for traditional progressive rock fans (of course metal and even avant prog were doing quite well then). There's just too much stuff to keep up with. I buy less every year, only in that I try to listen to what I already have! But when I do buy new things, I'm generally pleased. It seems the last 25 years have generally been fantastic, and the choices endless.
    late 80's are indeed the worst years, IMHO, and the 90's and 00's offered often a few excellent albums per year, but not many in numbers but ever since 2013 the numbers are increasing, to the point that, indeed, I find that there is almost too much choice out there.

I sometimes feel that way, but always recuperate when a couple of great albums are released and pump my envy to find more

Steve, I don't know if someone else noted this elsewhere, but I'm very happy that your planned sabbatical (or hiatus) for 2018 ended sooner than expected, because I bought four Cuneiform album in the last couple of months (and will ask to save up a Mana one for me), and they're all excellent and most of them made my list (look it up)

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    Given the scarcity of time, I’ve tried to make an effort to get out and see live music this year and have probably done so more than I have in the past 30 years. Unfortunately finances, work and family make it difficult to go to Big Ears, RIO etc. but I hope to change that.
    Actually, I'm kind of disappointed with my year of concert-going... Not only in terms of quantity, but also in quality... Of course there are a few concerts 8 missed - or worse: I became aware of them after they happened.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    So, you little traitor to the Prog, where are your 2018 suggestions? (and I mean the non-prog ones, a couple of which you can find in my best of list).
    In truth I'm not sure I'd suggest them to anyone here but if you really are interested here you go:

Carpenter Brut -- Leather Teeth
    Jóhann Jóhannsson -- Mandy
    Gunship -- Dark All Day
    Deafheaven -- Ordinary Corrupt Human Love
    The Midnight -- Kids
    Eraldo Bernocci -- Like a Fire That Consumes All Before It
    Ólafur Arnalds -- Re:member
    Ben Frost -- All That You Love Will Be Eviscerated
    Puce Mary -- The Drought
    Anguish -- Anguish
    Gazelle Twin -- Pastoral
    Julia Holter -- Aviary
    Low -- Double Negative

Much like Ulver last year, the moment I heard 'Leather Teeth' I knew that was going to be the top of the heap this year. Others took a bit longer.

The 'Mandy' soundtrack, to be frank, is a sentimental choice because I very much miss Johannsson and Mandy actually ended up being my favorite film of 2018.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post

Carpenter Brut -- Leather Teeth
    Jóhann Jóhannsson -- Mandy
    Gunship -- Dark All Day
    Deafheaven -- Ordinary Corrupt Human Love
    The Midnight -- Kids
    Eraldo Bernocci -- Like a Fire That Consumes All Before It
    Ólafur Arnalds -- Re:member
    Ben Frost -- All That You Love Will Be Eviscerated
    Puce Mary -- The Drought
    Anguish -- Anguish
    Gazelle Twin -- Pastoral
    Julia Holter -- Aviary
    Low -- Double Negative
    Thank you very much for this. Happy new year!

I hold 2018 as a very productive year for progressive music. There were loads of very good to excellent stuff, great bands returning with a vengeance (Koenjihyakkei, Bubu, Gryphon etc) and 4 albums that impressed me a lot (Far Corner, Jack O' the clock, In Love With and Manna-Mirage). That is at least much better than 2017 in my opinion.

And yes, the great bulk came from new bands - not necessarily debuts, but bands that are around for just a few years or in their 3rd or 4th record.

So a year that exceeded my expectations, which are not really high anyway...didn't we agree that rock music has died?

IMO.
    That just about reflects my situation...not that I'm happy about it.
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature