Thread: Phaedra or Bermuda Triangle?

Phaedra or Bermuda Triangle?

I chose Phaedra.

Bermuda Triangle were an OK American Folk duo, but somewhat overrated by the dealers, I think. Not sure which Phaedra you're talking about.

Actually I'm referring to the new Black Mirror episode. I resisted watching it for about 24 hours and snapped and watched it today. Probably my fave Black Mirror. It's really quite innovative and disturbing. Kinda reminds me of an experiment my class went through when I was about 11-12 where we thought we were administering elecrtic shocks to someone when they got questions wrong - yet we kept asking more and more difficult questions. Of course there was no electric current but that wasn't the point.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/garysua.../#2e2743183ab0

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Phaedra as in Tangerine Dream. And it was at least a very interesting and innovative episode of Black Mirror but by far not my fave.
    Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Phaedra is the name of a Tangerine Dream album. Bermuda Triangle is an area of the North Atlantic Ocean where an inordinate number of planes and ships have disappeared. Black Mirror, I have never heard of. Two out of three ain't bad.

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Phaedra is the name of a Tangerine Dream album. Bermuda Triangle is an area of the North Atlantic Ocean where an inordinate number of planes and ships have disappeared. Black Mirror, I have never heard of. Two out of three ain't bad.
    Bermuda Triangle is also, I believe, the title of a Tomita album. So I assumed when I clicked on this was a TD versus Tomita thread.

The Bermuda Triangle was a hot topic of discussion back in the 70's, There was a board game (which a friend of my brother's had), and there were at least two movies: one a documentary, another a really bad movie directed by Rene Cardona Jr and starring John Huston, Andres Garcia, Gloria Guida, and Hugo Stiglitz. If I'm not mistaken, a lot of the talk was based off a book written by a guy named CHarles Berlitz, who seems to have looked at Chariots Of The Gods and said "Hey, I could do a book like that and con millions of people into buying it, too!".

Yes, Phaedra is the name of a TD album, but according to Discogs, there's a slew of bands with that name as well.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Yes, Phaedra is the name of a TD album, but according to Discogs, there's a slew of bands with that name as well.
    Which is to be expected with a name derived from Greek mythology.

(Song title also inspired Klaus Schulze.)
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

^ I first heard that track on a TV special, (those were the days.) I never forgot it, but never knew what it was until the early 00s, when I inquired about it on the Yahoo Psychedelica group. Needless to say, I then picked up the LP immediately.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris
    Bermuda Triangle is also, I believe, the title of a Tomita album.
    Thanks. I have several Tomita albums, but have apparently not run across Bermuda Triangle. I will seek it out. That, and the Nancy & Lee.

Quote Originally Posted by jake View Post
    Actually I'm referring to the new Black Mirror episode. I resisted watching it for about 24 hours and snapped and watched it today. Probably my fave Black Mirror. It's really quite innovative and disturbing. Kinda reminds me of an experiment my class went through when I was about 11-12 where we thought we were administering elecrtic shocks to someone when they got questions wrong - yet we kept asking more and more difficult questions. Of course there was no electric current but that wasn't the point.
    Ah, you did the Milgram experiment, eh?

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Having sat through it, I would have to say I prefer not having to interact with TV. Nice to hear that it gave Phaedra a bump on the charts, though.

I was gobsmacked by "Bandersnatch" (the branching-adventure 5th season episode of "Black Mirror") the first time I watched it. Of course I chose Phaedra too, and was impressed that music from Phaedra (and "Risky Business") kept recurring later in the adventure.

The second time I watched it, I intentionally made different choices to see the result. Tomita's "Bermuda Triangle" played immediately after Stefan Butler bought it.... but later, Phaedra showed up anyway (even though supposedly Stefan didn't own it). This, among many other choices, had very little effect on the development of the story.

So, I ended up seeing most of it the first time though. I was a lot less gobsmacked the second time.

Still.... you have to wonder, does Netflix assign a separate server for each-and-every viewer watching "Bandersnatch"? I mean the flashbacks you get every time you reach a major branching point include quick snatches of every choice you've made up to that point. The programming boggles my mind.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Welcome back.

Tangerine Dream or Isao Tomita??

Neither were their best albums, BTW. Both stopped making good albums by the early 80's.

But Phaedra is classic TD, wheras BT isn't classic Tomita

Welcome back to Robert, BTW.
    Last edited by Trane; 01-02-2019 at 02:21 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Thanks but I'll remain a very infrequent lurker. I've moved on.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Just watched this, or at least enough of it. I just haven't chosen the end credits yet. I thought the choose a path mechanism was pretty cool, but overall the story seemed like a retread of several pre-existing things. The one thing I'm wondering is if I'd chosen Tomita instead of T Dream, would it have had a merrier tone? I don't actually know Bermuda Triangle.

1. Tyger
    2. Phaedra
    3. Rubycon
    4. Cyclone
    5. Stratosfear

Quote Originally Posted by AndiSexgang View Post
    1. Tyger
    2. Phaedra
    3. Rubycon
    4. Cyclone
    5. Stratosfear
    Seriously?! You're putting Tyger over any of the 70's era albums?! Personally, mine would be more like:

1. Rubycon
    2. Zeit
    3. Encore
    4. Ricochet
    5. Cyclone

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post

The Bermuda Triangle was a hot topic of discussion back in the 70's

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    ANd if I was a bigger fan of post-Peter Green FM, I'd have known about that, but there ya go. Even Fleetwood Mac had a song about the Bermuda Triangle! That's how "pop culture" it was at the time.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jake View Post

https://www.forbes.com/sites/garysua.../#2e2743183ab0
    Didn't Peter Gabriel write a song about your class?

Has anyone tried to see if which album you choose affects the storyline at all? Probably not - it'd be funny if the Tomita choice was Snowflakes Are Dancing.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Seriously?! You're putting Tyger over any of the 70's era albums?! Personally, mine would be more like:

1. Rubycon
    2. Zeit
    3. Encore
    4. Ricochet
    5. Cyclone
    Well, yes, because it is my favourite TD album, it holds good memories for me. That is a list of my favourite five. I'm not claiming they are the best five in order. What is your favourite track on Cyclone?
    Last edited by AndiSexgang; 01-01-2019 at 04:27 PM. Reason: addition

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Didn't Peter Gabriel write a song about your class?
    Gabriel had a song called We're Do As We're Told (Milgram's 37), which was inspired by Stanley Milgram's original experiments in the early 60's. Milgram was trying to figure out how common it was for humans to simply "follow orders", as a potential explanation for the Nazi Holocaust.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milgram_experiment