Thread: FEATURED ALBUM: Lady With - The Lodge (2018 contender)

FEATURED ALBUM: Lady With - The Lodge (2018 contender)

I can honestly say with a group name no one knows and a plain pink album cover, this recording has a lot going against it from the standpoint of getting any attention. Well let me say that this is a strong contender for "album of the year" at Chez Cozy.

Lady With is the brainchild of keyboardist and composer Camille Petit, who also works with Xavier Gelard (XavGel here on PE) on the Ghost Rhythms albums - which at least have drawn some small fan base here.

Where both groups are compositionally similar in that they blend modern classical music, jazz, progressive rock, and minimalism, Lady With tends to bend a bit more in the chamber music direction, with the overall vibe of an instrumental soundtrack waiting for a film.

Compositions are dense, complex, dynamic, and slip seamlessly between musical styles. It's both background music and music that demands your attention.

That said, it retains a significant amount of the same compositional flair that Ghost Rhythms achieved on Madeleine. So if you liked that album, run out and give this a try.

https://ladywith.bandcamp.com/album/the-lodge

http://www.progressiveears.org/forum...ogressive-band

WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Nice to see this get some love - if only from you and me.

It gets attention here too.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

It's at the very top of my list for this year. I love it.

I would strongly recommend also getting the ‘Lynch edit' of the album. It's actually a very worthy counterpart to the primary version, and if you bought the original Camille will give it to you as a free download.

Also stoked about the new Ghost Rhythms album which was recorded a couple of weeks ago.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Nice! I'm liking this a lot, think I'll pop on over to Bandcamp.

Before I do I have another couple of late additions to my list:

I've just received Inner Space's debut album and it's wonderful (if you like jazz fusion) I'm also developing a soft spot for We Came From Space's new one; "While you were away"

Thanks for the tip, Cozy. I’m gonna check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by HilltopMan View Post
    Nice! I'm liking this a lot, think I'll pop on over to Bandcamp.

Before I do I have another couple of late additions to my list:

I've just received Inner Space's debut album and it's wonderful (if you like jazz fusion) I'm also developing a soft spot for We Came From Space's new one; "While you were away"
    What’s the name of the Inner Space album? I’d like to hear it.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

Thanks for the H.U. Sean/friends!.
    Now, I’m playing it from bandcamp: really enjoying their music!!.

Pura vida!!.

I'll have to give a second listen...

Detected some early Maneige/Langlois solo athmospheres (which is fine with me), but I must say that I ffwd quite a bit

I found the t/t is where there is the most Ghost Rhythm influences.

Still have to hear the GR album, though.

It would be a good idea if Xavier updated the Lady With entry on Rate Your Music and create one for Ghost bRythms, because it's quite empty of infos.
    Last edited by Trane; 12-30-2018 at 04:51 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

It's my top 10 as well. Wonderful, adventurous music. Somewhere between Soft Machine, Happy The Man/Kit Watkins (repetitive motives) and atmospheric soundtracks.

I gave a listen to the 2 above tracks. It's solid, but only rarely exciting, and the soundtracky nature works against it a bit for me. Still, further investigation would probably be a good idea, so it's off to Bandcamp at some point.

Thanks for posting this. It was on my wishlist but I'd forgotten about it a bit. Quickly bought ot so it doesn't go under my radar again

I clicked wondering if this had something to do with The Lodge, the late 80's band with Peter Blegvad and John Greaves. Obviously not but the description sounds interesting so I'll check it out.

EDIT: just had a listen and it is nice, reminds me of late 70's ECM like Eberhard Weber/Jan Garbarek.
    Last edited by pb2015; 12-29-2018 at 08:17 PM.

Wonderful album. Compared to Ghost Rythms its a bit less Jazz and a bit more Philip Glass. Top 10 of the year for me.

Very much looking forward to the new Ghost Rhytms. As I understand it is already recorded live in front of an audience and will be released on a familiar label soon.
    I am a tiny bit dissapointed they are not in the lineup of RIO this year. (But i think the lineup is great anyway)

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    It's my top 10 as well. Wonderful, adventurous music. Somewhere between Soft Machine, Happy The Man/Kit Watkins (repetitive motives) and atmospheric soundtracks.
    Thanks to you I 'discovered' it and although it might not make my Top 10 I sure do like it a lot.

I rated this one as one I liked but wasn't in my very top albums for 2018. Reading this thread, I've dug it out and am going to spend a bit more time with it. I spun it last night, and I still like it, but this album just doesn't grab me like the first Lady With album. I'm going to spin it in the car where perhaps more focused attention will give me some greater appreciation. It's a long album with a lot to digest, but I can see this one probably has charms I've missed and I think it will be worth some extra effort to dig into a bit more.

Nice feature!

Bill

Nice trip. I like.

nice stuff!
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I'll have to give a second listen...

Detected some early Maneige/Langlois solo athmospheres (which is fine with me), but I must say that I ffwd quite a bit

I found the t/t is where there is the most Ghost Rhythm influences.

Still have to hear the GR album, though.

It would be a good idea if Xavier updated the Lady With entry on Rate Your Music and create one for Ghost bRythms, because it's quite empty of infos.
    Hey everyone, long time no read. I have NO IDEA how to create a Rate your music thing but will do, thanks for the input !

Lady With will do a gig this friday (10 may) in Paris.
    Here is a live excerpt, quite a trip (I'm not playing drums due to schedule problems, but it's quite worth listening !!!)
    https://www.facebook.com/camilleuh/v...7279153149711/

Hello everyone, special offer on the two first Lady With albums, in regard of an upcoming gig in June 8 in La Villette. Don't miss it, three weeks only !
    Best
    Xavier