Thread: Jordan Rudess to release new Prog album

Jordan Rudess to release new Prog album

In this new interview with Jordan, he talks about first discovering Patrick Moraz in Refugee and Tomita. He also talks about his forthcoming new prog album:

So there’s a lot of things going on these days – actually just yesterday I was in the studio, the final day of mixing my new solo album which is coming out on ‘Mascot Records’ in April. We’re not quite at the point where I’m announcing to name and all the details of the album but I am saying that it’s that I have a new solo album, it’s in the progressive rock vibe and I’m very excited about it – It has all kinds of cool guests playing on it.

Today my engineer is delivering the final CD to check everything about it, but I haven’t done one like this in a while, the last album I did that was related was probably the one called ‘The Road Home’, which was a collection of my favorite progressive rock tunes that I re-did, re-arranged. Before that I had an album called ‘Rhythm of Time’ which was also very progressive. So this is kind of like a follow-up along those lines, some years later but It’s the big work. There’s actually a thirty-three minute song on it, so it’s really ‘proggy’. I also did some singing on the album too, and there’s a progressive-kind of blues track on it, with a very special guest who will be announced soon.

I'm excited for this...loved both The Road Home and Rhythm of Time.

Full interview here: https://8dio.com/2018/12/23/intervie...jordan-rudess/

Awesome I love his work 👍👍

I discovered him with the album "Listen" from 1993.
    Nice making of:

Rhythm Of Time is the one of his I go back to the most. Insectsamongus is a masterpiece.

Music video from the new album:

Rudess is joined on the record by his Dream Theater colleagues James LaBrie and John Petrucci, while Marco Minnemann, Vinnie Moore, Guthrie Govan, Joe Bonamassa, Rod Morgenstein and Elijah Wood also feature.

Rudess says: “It is not a concept album, however the title track does have a story that I was envisioning while writing it.

“The idea was about a guy who wanted to go about a transformational process involving becoming partially computerised and robotic.

“His functionality as a human was noticeably diminishing and he takes advantage of a modern medical procedure to ‘upgrade’ and extend his physical and mental capabilities.

"Through the course – or curse – of this process he becomes more and more separated from the outside ‘normal’ world, allowing the computer front end to take over much of his day to day tasks and decisions.

“This leaves his mind free to travel between madness and spiritual enlightenment. After an angel visited him, the listener is left wondering whether he is experiencing true enlightenment or if he is moving out of the physical world to the next dimension.”

Rudess also reveals that “there’s even some blues” on the album and adds: “Just Can’t Win is a dirty blues song. The Dream Theater guys call me Blues Man because, at 8am, after sleeping on the tour bus, I sound like a reincarnation of an old blues man soul.

“I called in Joe Bonamassa and a full brass section to help make this song really happen. For my prog fans, this is Jordan Rudess in an alternate universe!”

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I always like to mention this nugget of info about Rudess: in an early issue of Progression magazine he mentioned in an interview that there were plans for him to be involved in a reformation of Happy the Man. But that particular reformation never happened. Always thought that was just an interesting thing.

I like it, and I'm happy it's not an all instrumental album. The vocals while not groundbreaking gave the song what it needed. I kept waiting for him to break into a James Labrie run, but alas it was not to be.
    I might even consider picking this up, and I'm not a huge Rudess fan.
    Thanks for the info Dan, and for posting this video.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I always like to mention this nugget of info about Rudess: in an early issue of Progression magazine he mentioned in an interview that there were plans for him to be involved in a reformation of Happy the Man. But that particular reformation never happened. Always thought that was just an interesting thing.
    Nice to know. That would have been interesting indeed. Luckily in later years they found Dave Rosenthal (from Red Dawn, Infinity, Vai, Joel, etc.) who studied Kit's parts in the extreme.

I seem to remember the HTM-related project in 1984 only involved Rick Kennell and Ron Riddle of the old HTM. It was going to be a trio...

My most-played Rudess solo album is Explorations, an absolutely fantastic album he did with an orchestra. Not many seem to know about it, but I spin this disc often. Here's the opening three-part suite entitled Explorations For Keyboard And Orchestra.

Looking forward to the new rock album as well!

Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    there were plans for him to be involved in a reformation of Happy the Man. But that particular reformation never happened.
    If only 1/10 of Rudess' usual followers would take the time to at least check out what/who HtM were/are.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Already pre-ordered. The guy has never disappointed me though I can't say I listen (oops!) to his first album a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    If only 1/10 of Rudess' usual followers would take the time to at least check out what/who HtM were/are.
    Yes, if only.

I've got an extra copy of his Feeding The Wheel CD if anyone wants it. It's got some weird mottling on the CD surface, but seems to play ok.

PM me if you want it.

Lyric video for the full 12-minute title track. Rudess says: “The title track Wired For Madness Pt. 1 originally came into existence as an audio experience meant to take the listener on a musical journey. Now with video from the imagination of Wayne Joyner, it has evolved into a full on eye and ear extravaganza.”

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Absolutely.
    Happy the Man were simply brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    Lyric video for the full 12-minute title track. Rudess says: “The title track Wired For Madness Pt. 1 originally came into existence as an audio experience meant to take the listener on a musical journey. Now with video from the imagination of Wayne Joyner, it has evolved into a full on eye and ear extravaganza.”

Sounds just as excellent of "Rhythm of Time." The vocal section reminds me of classic Bowie! I can't wait to hear the rest of it!
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Speaking about Why I Dream, Rudess says: “Trust the cards if you dare… guitarist Vinnie Moore and I trade burning leads in Why I Dream, the lyric video release from my upcoming solo album. Also joining me on this track are Brothers Page on background vocals, Rod Morgenstein on drums. Alek Darson on bass.

“Wired For Madness serves up a full range of my styles and influences. In Why I Dream, you get a blend of prog rock and fusion with tinges of musical theatre. Enjoy!”

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    I really liked that. I especially loved the Keith Emerson-y piano solo in the middle, really tasty stuff. Can't wait for this whole album, the bits I've heard have been very exciting.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Just heard Wired Pt. 1. Pretty good. Sounds computerized, but adventurous. Lotsa fun.

For whomever is interested, it's available in Hi-Res from HDTracks.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Wow, can he read notes?
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    For whomever is interested, it's available in Hi-Res from HDTracks.
    Oh, yes, I'm interested...