Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Martin Barres Tull 50th anniversary tour

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    I hear he will hit the West Coast with this next year.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

First I've heard of it.

Quote Originally Posted by notallwhowander View Post
    I hear he will hit the West Coast with this next year.
    Website currently states only Ontario, CA for two nights 9/15-16/2020. Lotsa holes in the schedule so hopeful for more dates.....heck, he's taking the band to Australia this fall so there are funds to travel!
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

The eons are closing
    Dumcan has a thread in whats on whats new as he got some contact / info from Martin's rep.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Last time he was in Santa Cruz, Martin mentioned from stage that he intended to back around next year with the anniversary band. It's nothing like gigs booked, but I'd love to be at that show.

I hope he does the anniversary show in the Bay Area next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe slightly off-topic, but I have got a DVD with Martin Barre & Band - Live in Munich from 2015 on which I find very little background information. This one seems to have been sold through Martin Barre's own website and at concerts for a very short period. Shortly thereafter all information about this was removed. Apparently only a very small edition was produced, but it has a professional camera work and the sound is excellent.
    In 2016, there was a new live DVD released instead: Live at Daryl's. The set lists (including many Tull songs) on the two releases are different so one might think that both of these have a right to exist. However, the information on the Live in Munich DVD on all major official channels including Barre's own sites is zero and nothing. Progarchives seems to be the only place where it’s mentioned as an official release. Anyone know anything more about why this one never got a wider release.

Setlist:
    Intro
    Watch Your Step
    Steal Your Heart Away
    Minstrel In The Gallery
    To Cry You A Song
    Eleanor Rigby
    Thick As A Brick
    Love Is Why You Came Here
    Sweet Dream
    Song For Jeffery
    Smokestack Lightning
    Wond'ring Aloud
    Blackest Eyes
    Hymn 43 / Jig
    Crossroads
    Rock me Baby
    Teacher
    Fat Man
    A New Day Yesterday
    Still Loving You Tonight
    Locomotive Breath

Great set!

Quote Originally Posted by Mrutt View Post
    Maybe slightly off-topic, but I have got a DVD with Martin Barre & Band - Live in Munich from 2015 on which I find very little background information. This one seems to have been sold through Martin Barre's own website and at concerts for a very short period.
    Very cool. You got a collector's item for sure. There's no mention of it on discogs. I haven't even been able to score a copy of Live from Daryl's house...

Check it out, a full show! Martin is so energized... I can't remember ever seeing him sing along to the songs (not into a mic, just kind of mouthing the words).

Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Here's a comparison video from last night. Make of this what you will.

Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Here's a comparison video from last night. Make of this what you will.

Is it me or the poor sound quality of the video or is Ian barely able to sing at all anymore? That's a pure shame. I saw Martin's band a few months ago and really enjoyed it. But then Martin doesn't have to worry about his vocal cords.

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    Is it me or the poor sound quality of the video or is Ian barely able to sing at all anymore? That's a pure shame.
    Bad as it is, he actually sounds stronger there than he did when I saw him last year.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

I saw Ian last year, and...these days if you go to see him you go to spend time in the same room with him and to enjoy the material and his flute playing and stage presence, not to expect anything in terms of singing.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Check it out, a full show! Martin is so energized... I can't remember ever seeing him sing along to the songs (not into a mic, just kind of mouthing the words).

I've seen Martin three times and I'll say he and the band are just getting better and better. This show rawks.

If Dan Crisp grows out his hair and beard he'll be indistinguishable from a 35 year old Ian Anderson to any mildly drunken punters beyond the 3rd or 4th row.

As for the SFTW video from the new "Jethro Tull" band I agree with the opinion above. As bad as it is, it has actually gotten better. I think the idea of trading lines of each verse with Goodier is a good one. Ian gets an extra breath or two and then can sound a little stronger. When I last saw him attempt SFTW (singing all the verses himself) it was probably the biggest disaster of the evening.

Martin Barre 50 Years of Jethro Tull, Shrewsbury FF 2019 pro-shot

Quote Originally Posted by Dok View Post
    Martin Barre 50 Years of Jethro Tull, Shrewsbury FF 2019 pro-shot
    Really cool, thanks