Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations of vinyl to buy?

Recommendations of vinyl to buy?

i got turntable for christmas.
    My main question ,What albums sounds better on vinyl ,vs there there cd counterparts?
    Like essential prog records ,and jazz fusion.
    Looking for good 5 of each.

Like when I hear vinyl version ,I know immediately the difference.
    As people have told me ,Certain albums sound way better on vinyl vs cd.
    Looking to accumulate best 5 prog and jazz fusion.

all albums recorded before 1980 are better on vinyl... unless they have had some uber-deluxe remix/remaster treatment, which the vast majority have not

but CAUTION!!! this thread will bring out the vinyl haters who will argue until they're blue in the face that digital is always better

I'll recommend
    Return To Forever - Romantic Warrior
    PFM - Per Un Amico
    Stanley Clarke - s/t (aka the brown album)
    Camel - The Snow Goose
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Thanx for recommendations ,vinyl haters I used be same way .
    Im like why not its hip ,its in lets give it go .
    My hate was i was to afraid to learn ,it felt complicated to learn.

Got me 300 dollar turntable ,enjoying how what I heard so far .
    Sounds like your in studio with band
    It produces that kind ,Of soundstage to me.

Ive heard 24 bit his res vinyl rips ,digtal .
    Tell you truth,you need good dac and amp to get and replicate same thing ,via turntable tbh.
    Or 500 dollar dap digital audio player.
    So it best ,you just go turntable route nohows.

I love using vinyl as my source for digital remasters to throw around in the car CD player. I make the sound perfect for my sonic taste. Here's my latest work:
    http://www.mediafire.com/folder/hk90...N_-_WHITE_ROCK
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by vis4victor View Post
    My main question ,What albums sounds better on vinyl ,vs there there cd counterparts?
    I also got a turntable last summer and started buying vinyl again.

Here's a few stunners:

Yes- Fragile - Kevin Gray remaster
    Incredible, period.

Univers Zero - Ceux Du Dehors Remastered and partially remixed.
    Throw out your CD

Spirit - Twelve Dreams of Dr. Sardonicus
    Rhino 180 gram vinyl

Blodwyn Pig - Ahead Rings Out
    Great sounding reissue from last July
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

I also got a turntable last summer and started buying vinyl again.

Here's a few stunners:

Yes- Fragile - Kevin Gray remaster
    Incredible, period.

Univers Zero - Ceux Du Dehors Remastered and partially remixed.
    Throw out your CD

Spirit - Twelve Dreams of Dr. Sardonicus
    Rhino 180 gram vinyl

Blodwyn Pig - Ahead Rings Out
    Great sounding reissue from last July

Going thru my old teenage vinyl :

Return to Forever - Romantic Warrior (LP concurs)
    Bruford - One of a Kind

For jazz, all of my ECM and Blue Note records sound better than CD on vinyl.

Have fun!

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Here's the bad news; most modern vinyl, including reissues, are made from digital files, so unless you're pursuing older vinyl, you're not listening to a pure analog sound. I don't hate vinyl, I just hate all the woo surrounding the vinyl lifestyle. I think it's ok to like both without buying into dogma and proclaiming the superiority of either vinyl or CD.

The key to vinyl is to get records that were recorded well in the first place. If the record was not recorded well, not mixed well, nothing can really save it other than a total re mix from the source tapes.

That being said... I would get a few of the obvious vinyl records that should be in any vinyl collection to show off how good your stereo sounds... we often call those "reference records".

Look for original pressings of:

Steely Dan "Aja"
    Pink Floyd "Dark Side of the Moon"
    Jethro Tull "Songs from the Wood"
    Jeff Beck "Blow By Blow"
    ELP "Tarkus"
    Genesis "A Trick of the Tail"
    YES "Close to the Edge or Fragile"
    Led Zeppelin "Physical Graffiti" has some very intricate production on it.
    Santana's first album is very good sounding.
    Chicago Transit Authority first album was very well recorded.

I also like the suggestion of Camel's "Snowgoose"

On the Jazz side,
    Miles Davis "Sorcerer" is excellent. "A Kind of Blue" is a must
    I would get Maynard Ferguson "MF Horn 2" Absolutely stunning.
    Wes Montgomery "Smokin' at the Half Note" or "Road Song"
    Getz and Gilberto

Actually in the 1960's, the best studios were generally used for jazz, and rock music was recorded in the B studios, except for a few artists like "The Beatles". You will find very good recordings actually on most any "Verve" (the record label) release. They all have the black paper on the vinyl cutout.

I would not shy away from live records either. Some of them can make you feel like you are actually there at the concert. Digital has never been able to do that for me, not even at higher resolutions.

Some of the funk and soul records were very well recorded, so having a good system can really open up other genres of the listening experience.
    For example, Bob Marley's "Exodus" is breathtaking on a good vinyl set up.

Once you get into vinyl properly, you won't look back, and it's like a secret club with all the digital naysayers not being allowed to enter, because they wouldn't "get it" anyway.

There is just so much to explore, and it's amazing to even go back further into the 1950's and listen to how real and authentic those records sound.

Digital is cheap and convenient, understood. It's like standing on top of Mount Everest. One person climbed up it with all the experience, blood, sweat and tears, and the other person was dropped off at the top in a helicopter for a quick selfie they can post on facebook. It's not the same thing, not even close.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Here's the bad news; most modern vinyl, including reissues, are made from digital files, so unless you're pursuing older vinyl, you're not listening to a pure analog sound.
    This is absolutely true. Stick to original pressings. It's also a history lesson in the art of recording and record making. You can learn to refine your own ears listening to vinyl from all the pre digital eras.

Here's the bad news; most modern vinyl, including reissues, are made from digital files
    oh definitely... buy used vinyl that was pressed before the current 'vinyl reissue' craze. AAA is the best, that's why I recommend 70s and early 80s records. By the mid 80s some vinyl was DAA or DDA which kind of defeats the depth of the analog experience.

Here's the bad news; most modern vinyl, including reissues, are made from digital files, so unless you're pursuing older vinyl, you're not listening to a pure analog sound. I don't hate vinyl, I just hate all the woo surrounding the vinyl lifestyle. I think it's ok to like both without buying into dogma and proclaiming the superiority of either vinyl or CD.
    thats what an dac is for roflmao,it converts signal to analogue .
    If you own 300 plus dollar turntable ,your gonna have dac reciever and etc
    24 bit is the master file nohows ,as cds r 16 bit vinyl is 24 bit.

Highest sample rate your getting on cd is 16 bit 44 khz some go 48 very rarely.
    Vinyl goes up to 192khz sample rate
    where as dsd ,dff files go higher .
    Educate yourself ,please before posting.

Im Fucking audiophile ,I been round this planet ok .

even if files are digital,thats what dac is for dac means digital to analogue converter
    lets not buy vinyl form tangent cuz its digtal lol.
    well i can get analogue signal easily with an dac problem solved

but then you are not getting the pure analog sound of LPs if they were pressed from digital remasters
    I digitally remaster my 70s and 80s vinyl but I am the only one converting them and I still recognize that something is lost in the translation

I have a different opinion about pure analog vs digital-
    Some things sound better on vinyl, some better on CD, but it is mostly due to the character of the sound- transients (ie drums of faster parts) sound better on vinyl, and long sounds (ie drones, organ notes, synth washes etc) sound better on CD. My favourite sounding albums are the Henry Cow reissues- and I dont know if they are completely analog all the way from the master to the record but they sound fantastic so I dont really care*

(Actually I do care- if indeed they had a digital remaster along the way then it proves to me that digital vs analog is mostly BS, what matters is the mastering and the recording)

You can get for nearly nothing a big choice of near mint vinyl that got a wide distribution : Genesis , Yes , BJH , Camel . I have recently bought a couple of original mint copies by Joan Baez and two Transatlantic guitar samplers. Don't pay a fortune on some rare stuff often in bad condition while you can still find an excellent and cheap choice on the second hand market.

Yes' Relayer for sure. Patrick's keyboards are barely audible on the CD versions, but cut through loud and clear on the vinyl versions.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

I used to be on the "analog is greater than digital" camp, but I watched a series of videos that essentially debunked a lot of the common arguments people use in that debate. I'll try and find the video I saw that sealed it for me, but in the end I believe it comes down to mastering and the quality of the tapes used. I have an old copy of Per Un Amico by PFM which sounds colorful and dynamic compared to any digital files I have heard of the album, which have always sounded flat and lifeless to me. This I believe comes down to the original mastering and the fact that the record came from the original master tapes. If there was a proper CD remaster taken from undamaged first generation master tapes, I'm sure it would be wonderful. As analog to digital converters have gotten better, CD sound quality has definitely increased, but there are trends in CD mastering that keep a lot of CD's from sounding great, and they definitely can sound great. You could buy a modern record that's out on CD as well, and any perceived difference would be in the mastering, you cannot apply CD mastering to a record. Especially if it's a popular record, the CD will most likely be brickwalled, but a record physically wouldn't be able to contain such extreme sounds, so a softer mastering would be necessary and would most likely be perceived as better sounding.

TL;DR just research the masterings of specific albums if you're curious about which one to buy.

Some albums I think sound great on vinyl:
    The Mothers of Invention- One Size Fits All
    PFM- Per Un Amico/Photos of Ghosts (easier to find)
    Jethro Tull- Songs from the Wood
    Miles Davis- In a Silent Way
    and if you're a Peter Hammill fan, get his first couple albums on vinyl, the digital versions are pretty bad
    A vie, a mort, et apres...

You have to research the title before buying remasters if you want AAA.

There's still tapes in vaults, but yes, most new LPs are from a digital source.

Have you heard these?
    - https://www.musicmattersjazz.com/default.asp

Educate yourself ,please before posting.

Im Fucking audiophile ,I been round this planet ok .
    Whoa there fella. I posted in your vinyl noob thread (I suggest the AT-LP60; you responded favorably to it) and you didn't seem to be projecting yourself as an expert then. So what's changed? What kind of TT did you end up buying? Or did you start yet another thread about that?

It never fails that first poster to rant and hurl expletives in a thread is the most likely to benefit from their own advise. Physician, heal thyself.

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    You have to research the title before buying remasters if you want AAA.

There's still tapes in vaults, but yes, most new LPs are from a digital source.

Have you heard these?
    - https://www.musicmattersjazz.com/default.asp
    No, and its unlikely that I will unless my daughter takes to jazz (who knows, she might).

And I can add more bad news to this:

Starting from the late 70ies/early 80ies DIGITAL delay lines placed between the (analog) signal source and cutting head were commonly used in the disc cutting process. This was necessary for preview purposes and (automatic) groove pitch adjustment. Most of these early digital delay lines were crude by modern standards (some only had 14 bits resolution) and the ADC/DAC's specifications were far behind what we have today in terms of audio quality.

All records manufacturers didn't used this (DDL) method but you can't put with certainty an "AAA" (All Analog) label on any vinyl produced after 1978-80 and if you're a purist the chances are high the (pure) analog signal coming from the master tape was already "soiled" by some digital processing BEFORE it reached the cutting head in the mastering/cutting room.

If you want to be really sure your vinyl record is 100% analog from start to end don't buy anything produced after 1975.

And yes, nearly ALL currently manufactured vinyl re-issues are taken from a digital file.

Garbage in, garbage out ?

Before we get too deep into the vinyl vs digital discussion, I would suggest that there is a audible difference between vinyl playback and digital for obvious reasons. I'm perfectly okay with people who say they prefer vinyl playback to digital. And as far as collecting music I would think that vinyl is superior to CD just because of its size; album artwork ends to look better the bigger it is.

CD vs. Vinyl, digital versus analog, there is no right or wrong answer. As I've stated in other threads, one upside in the resurgence of vinyl is that young people purchasing "vinyls" are actually listening to entire albums in one sitting, thus bringing appreciation to the album as an art form into an era when the public had turned back into a singles oriented listening culture 10 or 12 years ago. Kudos to vinyl for that.

Plane Groovy releases sound perfect!!

Before we get too deep into the vinyl vs digital discussion, I would suggest that there is a audible difference between vinyl playback and digital for obvious reasons. I'm perfectly okay with people who say they prefer vinyl playback to digital. And as far as collecting music I would think that vinyl is superior to CD just because of its size; album artwork ends to look better the bigger it is.

CD vs. Vinyl, digital versus analog, there is no right or wrong answer. As I've stated in other threads, one upside in the resurgence of vinyl is that young people purchasing "vinyls" are actually listening to entire albums in one sitting, thus bringing appreciation to the album as an art form into an era when the public had turned back into a singles oriented listening culture 10 or 12 years ago. Kudos to vinyl for that.
    Perfectly said, and this should put an end to the Vinyl vs CD debate (but I'm afraid it won't).

Quote Originally Posted by tonissive View Post
    Plane Groovy releases sound perfect!!