Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FZ - St. Etienne

And Frank once said:
    I'll do the stupid thing first and then you shy people follow...

This isn't the solo that makes the small hairs between my buttocks burst into flames either.

The earlier solos on the track Inca Roads, Rat Tomago,"The Sheik Yerbouti Tango", Yo Mama, some of the stuff he does on the albums Roxy & Elsewhere, Chungas Revenge, Apostrophy, Shut up, or this one 'Occam's Razor' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dp93bcp4HCM is closer to my guitar solo heaven.

Very nice! Always loved Franks phrasing and use of space, not to mention unique guitar tones.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

FZ's soloing is pretty much the least interesting thing I find about him musically. Some nice moments here and there, but I don't think he really had the ideas to sustain (too often) overly-long solos (too often on a static harmony). I always wished he'd have had a larger scale vocabulary to temper the pentatonicism (or at least a grasp of pentatonic modes). There's a freneticism and musically non-sequitur element that wears thin, to these ears. He did play some wicked composed parts, though!
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

^^^^^^^^

Welcome, fellow poop!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    FZ's soloing is pretty much the least interesting thing I find about him musically. Some nice moments here and there, but I don't think he really had the ideas to sustain (too often) overly-long solos (too often on a static harmony). I always wished he'd have had a larger scale vocabulary to temper the pentatonicism (or at least a grasp of pentatonic modes). There's a freneticism and musically non-sequitur element that wears thin, to these ears. He did play some wicked composed parts, though!
    You have to admit nobody phrased like Frank

And the static simple chords vamps worked well live in concert in between the busy compositions but YMMV
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone