Thread: how do i go 34 years of my life ,To now discover Gabor Szabo

how do i go 34 years of my life ,To now discover Gabor Szabo

This was made in 60s ,Are you crapping me right now .
    How on earth I gone most my life ,not heard this guy .
    This is best discovery in aeons for me j,esus this guitar player is amazing.

Nice pick. I think Szabo is great and I think Dreams is one of his best. I discovered him back in 1970 because of Santana. Black Magic Woman off of Abraxas has a quick version of Gypsy Queen tacked on the end. I saw it was credited to Gabor Szabo and went looking for the original recording. I found it on Spellbinder, which came out in 1966 and is also great. If you like Dreams, then you’ll probably like his late 1960s recordings. I also have a fondness for Bacchanal from 1968.

The Impulse 2-fer CDs contain 4 classic albums.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    This seems like really nice stuff - thanks for sharing!

Don't worry about it, I'm 45 and still haven't heard Szabo. I first heard his name mentioned in Guitar Player back in the mid 80's, but I still haven't followed through and checked out his music.

I used to work with a guy who was full blooded Hungarian (but born and raised in this country), and I remember him telling him that the name Gabor Szabo didn't make any sense to him, because those were both surnames, or something like that.

It may seem a bit reductive, but I like to resume Szabo's early career by grouping albums released by the successive labels he's worked for

Gabor's Impulse years (those are pre-Dreams) leave me hot and cold (lots of covers during those years), but I do like revisiting them once in a while

The Skye era (from 68 to 70) is just as interesting with higher peaks, but also containing lower dearths

The Blue Thumb era (from 70 to 73), from what I've heard, is best ignored (High Contrast is his better one from that era)

I find that Szabo's best era is the CTi label (73 to76) with two of his best albums: Mizrab and Macho

Last edited by Trane; 12-23-2018 at 08:59 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I used to work with a guy who was full blooded Hungarian (but born and raised in this country), and I remember him telling him that the name Gabor Szabo didn't make any sense to him, because those were both surnames, or something like that.
    That's a weird reaction, it's in fact a super common Hungarian name. Gábor means Gabriel and Szabó means tailor/Taylor and it's a very common family name in Hungary (as is Taylor in anglophone countries and Schneider in German-speaking areas, for instance.)

Edit: I just looked it up, it's in fact the fourth most common Hungarian family name:

2016-os adatok
    Ssz. Családnév Gyakoriság
    1. NAGY 230 976
    2. KOVÁCS 213 304
    3. TÓTH 208 658
    4. SZABÓ 205 955
    5. HORVÁTH 198 058
    6. VARGA 135 585
    7. KISS 128 564
    8. MOLNÁR 105 349
    9. NÉMETH 89 689
    10. FARKAS 82 580