Thread: AAJ Review: Steven Wilson, Home Invasion: In Concert at The Royal Albert Hall

AAJ Review: Steven Wilson, Home Invasion: In Concert at The Royal Albert Hall

My review of Steven Wilson's Home Invasion: In Concert at The Royal Albert Hall, today at All About Jazz.

In a career now early in its fourth decade, singer/songwriter/multi-instrumentalist Steven Wilson has bucked almost every trend in the new millennium music industry. After spending over twenty years as the driving force behind Porcupine Tree, he made the seemingly risky move of going solo with 2009's Insurgentes (Kscope). In some ways it was an odd move, given that Porcupine Tree ostensibly began as a solo project, with Wilson collaborating, in only its very earliest years (and not for long) with Malcolm Stocks, and Porcupine Tree only becoming a full-fledged group when album sales demanded he put a band together to take his music on the road.

And history was against him. Many artists who left popular groups found, despite any cachet built with their former band (and Porcupine Tree had built a sizeable audience), that only a surprisingly paltry percentage of their former fans were willing to go along with them into their solo endeavors. By the time Wilson hit the road in 2011 for the first time under his own name, in support of his second solo album--the even more ambitious Grace for Drowning (Kscope)--the number of Porcupine Tree fans who'd gone along him was already much greater than any stats could have predicted.

Over the course of the next four years and two studio albums--2013's The Raven That Refused To Sing (And Other Stories) and 2015's concept album, Hand. Cannot. Erase. (both on Kscope)--Wilson continued to grow his audience, attracting not just those who'd been following his career for years, but entirely new demographics as well.

Based on the direction of his music, which brought together influences from a multitude of musical styles that was, in itself, a rare thing, Wilson found an unexpected nexus of fans. Hardcore progressive rock fans loved his often-times complex compositions, filled with breathtaking solo space rendered all the more impressive by his occasionally shifting lineup of virtuosic supporting musicians. But Wilson was also drawing in an increasing number of fans attracted to his unequivocally lyrical (albeit dark) disposition, not to mention those captivated by the metal elements brought to bear (to varying degrees) on his solo records, and which he first explored in greater depth across Porcupine Tree's new millennium releases. Wilson even released a compilation, Transience (Kscope, 2015), intended as an introduction to his music via his more readily approachable music, including a new version of the pop-friendly "Lazarus," first heard on Porcupine Tree's Deadwing (Lava, 2005).

Continue reading here...
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

Thanks nice review. I think you hit mark on many points especially on how much better to the bone comes across when played live with this current lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by Gladiator1634 View Post
    Thanks nice review. I think you hit mark on many points especially on how much better to the bone comes across when played live with this current lineup.
    Thanks for the kind words...and yeah, To the Bone definitely comes across much stronger and more vividly live - as was also the case when i saw Steven back in November in Montreal.
    John Kelman

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    Thanks for the kind words...and yeah, To the Bone definitely comes across much stronger and more vividly live - as was also the case when i saw Steven back in November in Montreal.
    The bluray truly represents and depicts how great the show was when experiencing it live. I saw it four times including two from the 3rd row in NYC last April. One of if not the best concert blurays out there right now.

Good Afternoon!

Quite nice review Mr. Kelman! As AAJazz is a respected publication, and with no 'intent' other than perhaps a helpful pass along ~ on page three of my electronic view of your review, the line with the words 'foreboding chords' is preceded by the word 'but' with a capital 'B'' (and it should be lower case/small 'b').

Hope that this is helpful!
    Carry On
    Chris Buckley
    Last edited by winkersnufs; 12-22-2018 at 01:50 PM.

Totally agree with the comments in the review regarding Alex...I thought he was stunning in this film.

Matt.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    John, I just have to say, even with your illness you're far more productive than I am. Pretty amazing how many great reviews you manage to write, and it's clear how much work goes into them. I'm looking forward to reading this one this evening.

Eh, i could go on and on but this album and tour didn't do as much for me as previous...just feels like he's trying too hard to be a rock star now...which is fine, and i'm curious where he goes next, but i was taken out of the show a lot by the antics.

Quote Originally Posted by winkersnufs View Post
    Good Afternoon!

Quite nice review Mr. Kelman! As AAJazz is a respected publication, and with no 'intent' other than perhaps a helpful pass along ~ on page three of my electronic view of your review, the line with the words 'foreboding chords' is preceded by the word 'but' with a capital 'B'' (and it should be lower case/small 'b').

Hope that this is helpful!
    Carry On
    Chris Buckley
    Thanks, Chris! Sadly, all about jazz doesn't always edit my work (it's usually pretty close to squeaky clean), so I appreciate folks letting me know, as you have, about any (hopefully!) small gaffs. I'll fix it a little later tonight, with gratitude.

Cheers!
    John
    John Kelman

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    John, I just have to say, even with your illness you're far more productive than I am. Pretty amazing how many great reviews you manage to write, and it's clear how much work goes into them. I'm looking forward to reading this one this evening.
    Thanks man...that's very kind of you to say. I'd rather write fewer articles that remain in-depth, than write more review that are less so. It's gratifying to know that folks whose opinions I value recognize the work that goes into them, as I'd not have it any other way.

So thanks, as always, for your (and everyone else here) readership and support. It's truly appreciated, especially under the circumstances. Hope you enjoy this one!

Cheers!
    J
    John Kelman